“Not as good as last time”
Review of King's Wark

King's Wark
Ranked #453 of 2,571 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This place is venerable and friendly, and I pop in occasionally. As I did a couple of days ago, and was a bit disappointed.
I usually have fish, and there were quite a few fishy dishes on the menu, and lots of people muching happily.
I had their seafood chowder - which was spicy and full of seafood: excellent.
I then decided not to have fish back to back, so opted for their 'pulled pork' - which was pork belly, black pudding, with potato mash and vegetable accompaniment. That was a lot less yummy - the pork had been overcooked, the fat from the pork belly had reduced and was swimming on the plate. I think they had a bad day. I hope they had a bad day and don't serve it like that normally.
My wife had a cauliflower Wellington wich was interesting bit not quite what was expected - firstly Wellington is a cooking technique, a parcel wilth goodies sealed inside to cook in their own juices; this was pastry latticework. Tasty enough, she reckoned, but no Welligton. SHe also picked it and was looking forwards to roast potatoes; she got boiled, and it would have taken time to get the roast on her plate.
I've eaten here before, really enjoyed it. This time they dropped the ball. I realise this is pub food, not Michelin, and I'm writing an appropriate review for a place that calls itself a gastropub.
When I go back I'll stick to the fish.

1  Thank DerekG154

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Went here on a Thursday evening, managed to get a table without booking, but others were not so lucky, so would recommend booking in advance! We both had seafood soup for starters, it was very good with a good mix of chunky fish and potatoes but could have been served hotter. I had slow cooked lamb served with roast potatoes for a main, which was good. My wife went for pulled pork, but found this to be a strange dish which she did not enjoy. A large mound of pulled pork was sitting on top a a very small portion of black pudding along with an equally small portion of apple sauce. The dish was served with mustard mash, which were much too strong for her liking, although this seemed a better accompaniment for my lamb dish. Among the vegetables served was ribbon carrots which had been soaked in vinegar and did not seem to go with the dish at all. Too much going on in the plate, would have been better just to have kept things simple and not try anything too fancy! With a pint of ale and bottle of Pinot, the bill came to just under £55, which is acceptable, just a pity the pulled pork hadn't been better!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Very good food and choice of dishes, with options to have some as starters or as main course. Table available at booked time, and service reasonably prompt on a busy night. We were taken by our daughter and son for a celebration meal. My only criticism would be that both my starter and main course included salad, and these were drowned in an ocean of oil: I would have preferred a lot less of it, or to have been given undressed salad with the option to add my own salad dressing if I wanted it: I am not a big fan of oily dressings.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed in the Abbots House Hotel. Went into the City from the bus stop on the Shore every morning. Went tho the rugby on Saturday. Returned to the Shore in the evening. Went to the Kings Wark for a few real ales. Enjoyed the welcoming atmosphere , talked to a few of the locals about the rugby. Decided to stay in the bar and ordered from the restaurant menu. Had rolled pork , black pudding , mustard mash etc. The food was well presented and I felt at home eating in the lovely bar. Would certainly return there if I am in Edinburgh in the future!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Having just arrived at our hotel nearby, we strolled out looking for a nice Scotland dining experience and came upon The Kings Wark. We arrived just before the regulars but were treated to a wonderful meal in a cramped but friendly atmosphere. The menu is varied enough to satisfy this family of four with college-age son and 11 year old daughter. They make the best mushroom soup in the world and the seafood chowder is tasty and a meal in itself. Burgers and breads were wonderful and the desserts, especially the Sticky Toffee Pudding great. The wait staff was friendly and although very stressed by the number of diners, kept things going in a very cheery manner. Despite all the other fine restaurants in Edinburgh, we choose to return on our last night to sample more dishes. We highly recommend Kings Wark to visitors to Edinburgh. Afterwards, you can take a stroll along the riverside to walk off some of the fine fare.