“Great tour, great fun, great day.”

The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Book In Advance
US$66.27*
Loch Ness, Highlands and Whisky Distillery Day Tour from Edinburgh
US$421.61*
and up
3-Day Isle of Skye Inverness Highlands and Glenfinnan Viaduct Tour from...
US$59.22*
Lochs, Stirling Castle, and Whisky Day Trip from Edinburgh
Ranked #3 of 218 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Free Day Tour of the Scottish Highlands. We believe everyone should be able to discover the real Scotland, that’s why we pioneered the only Free tour of this beautiful wilderness; through the eyes of a passionate and knowledgeable, local tour guide. We pride ourselves on exceeding the expectations of our guests; maintaining a professional but relaxed approach, and ensuring every tour is entertaining, informative and utterly unique.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Travelled with a few friends on this tour but the atmosphere on Fiona (the name of our cute, bright orange bus) was really great so ended up talking to different people which was lovely. Donald was brilliant - really knowledgable, friendly and a great sense of humour. The trip itself takes you through some beautiful areas and in general the scenery is just fantastic. Obviously the highlights are feeding the hairy coos themselves and a stop for one of the best pies I have ever had - haggis and cheesy mash? I think SO! The tour is free and you just tip the guide what you think it is worth, but trust me, it is worth a lot. Had a brilliant day out and learnt a lot.

TheDonEdinburgh, Owner at The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Hiya frances_murphy,

It is really good to hear from you and thank you for posting your review and photos. Pleased to hear that you loved the pies from the deli, we love them too.

The Hairy Coo

Write a ReviewReviews (2,829)

Reviewed 19 March 2012

This is a must-do tour if you're in Scotland. The tour takes you outside Edinburgh into the Highlands. This is a whistle stop tour of all the major attractions outside Edinburgh. Guides are extremely knowledgeable and the hairy coo's are adorable. Its a free tour but we enjoyed it so much, we came back giving them much more than what it cost them to take us around. Brilliant business model

TheDonEdinburgh, Owner at The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Hello s11has,

Thank you for posting such a concise and positive review of your experience with The Hairy Coo. We are genuinely grateful for your custom and your support.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

This was the best tour I have ever taken in Europe. I love taking tours that take you off the beaten path and show you the country and I could not have asked for a better experience. I was traveling solo and a bit worried to take a tour by myself but it was the best part of my Edinburgh trip. Donald really knew his stuff about Scotland and history, I was very impressed. I learned a lot! Feeding the Hairy Coo was the best part! They are so cute. I would recommend this tour to anyone, as the hikes were easy and there was tons of time off the bus to explore. Thanks again Donald!

Hiya Lizzie T,

It is great to hear from you again. On every tour, we aim to provide the best experience possible and it seems that it worked out for you really well. As ever, meeting the coos is always a highlight of our Highlands tour, they really are special. thank you for supporting us by posting your review.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Others have spoken about the tour, and indeed it is brilliant. Our guide was Don and my goodness what an awesome guide. In my review I want to get everyone excited about the concept of the tour. You pay what you think its worth, ( wish we had more cash to give) it is a no pressure sell which is refreshing. The bus is sooo cool and the envy of ALL other tour buses! The humor, music and feeling of being a part of a clan - awesome. The amount of stops is a bonus too as you are not driving for hours from point of interest to the next. I think the cream on the cake would be for Don to play a tune on his bagpipe, I'm sure he would if enough requested it! I for one will buy the book due out......." the funniest tour questions" all the best to you in your venture and for your next 10,000 guests.

4  Thank Aucks67

Hiya Aucks67,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Hairy Coo experience so much. Your kind thoughts and best wishes are greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review, we are grateful for both your custom and support.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

our guide Rus was very friendly and had a good sense of humor. while the tour didnt cover the touristy parts of the highland such as the lochness or glencoe it was still a good way to go outside of edinburgh and get a feel for the highlands and a crash course on scottish history. the tour is more engaging if you ask more questions and really immerse yourself into what the guide is talking about. one thing i would have liked more would have been a visit to another loch or two (but i understand there are some time restrictions and such). if you only have a day or two in edinburgh it will be difficult to fit in this tour but if you have more than two days and have tight budget hairy coo is the way to go~! and i would also like to mention that my friends who went on a paid tour did not get to feed actual hairy coos and were jealous of me who did get to feed them lol

1  Thank TreKronor312
TheDonEdinburgh, Owner at The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Hello TreKronor312,

It is really good to hear from you again. Thank you for posting such an insightful review of your experiences on board The Hairy Coo, we really do appreciate your support.