“New Flora Bus, same entertaining tour”

The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Ranked #3 of 203 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Free Day Tour of the Scottish Highlands. We believe everyone should be able to discover the real Scotland, that’s why we pioneered the only Free tour of this beautiful wilderness; through the eyes of a passionate and knowledgeable, local tour guide. We pride ourselves on exceeding the expectations of our guests; maintaining a professional but relaxed approach, and ensuring every tour is entertaining, informative and utterly unique.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Australia
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“New Flora Bus, same entertaining tour”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was a return for me, and a first for my partner. It was again a damp Scottish day, and Donald made it enjoyable with his entertaining commentary and enthusiastic attitude. It's good value, and a recommended full day activity out of Edinburgh. The payment by tips system is fairly unusual, and I hope most pay what the day is worth! We'll repeat when next in Edinburgh. Thanks for a very Scottish day Donald :)

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Yggdrasil98
TheDonEdinburgh, Owner at The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Hello Yggdrasil98,

Thank you for choosing to tour with us again and for writing such an insightful review of your Hairy Coo tour. Your generosity and support are sincerely appreciated by us.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Loved it, thanks Russell!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I went with a friend who had already been on this tour before, when she told me she had planned this tour for us I knew it was going to be fun. We had a great time there, Russell was really nice and entertaining, loved the music. The bus was comfortable and the stops were great. Really enjoyed the waterfall and the COOOOS! I fed Fiona three slices of bread (so proud of myself)! I recommend it to anyone who is planning to visit Scotland!!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Vshamsi
Hello Vshamsi,

Thank you for posting your review. It is good to know that you enjoyed yourself so much.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Coo-l Tour - loved it”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I, and two other friends went on the free tour. Thrilled to visit Doune (Outlander that I am) & revisit other places esp Loch Katrine. Donald was witty, pithy & knowledgeable re his country's history, given the 'deconstruction' of Braveheart which he provided.

I'm a history geek/purist and this was especially important to me.

I'll certainly recommend Hairy Coo again - and the real Hairy Coos were impressive beasties

Sheila (South Cumbria)

1 Thank SilentTr
Hello SilentTr,

It is really good to hear from you again. Thank you for posting such a charming review of your Hairy Coo tour. Your support is sincerely appreciated.

Donald,

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Hightlands tour”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

awsome tour specially russels entertaining ppl with his stories. cant wait to see the haircooo's again.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Anil N
Hello Anil N,

Thank you for posting your review of your Hairy Coo tour.

Toronto, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Love those Hairy Coos! (and the tour too!)”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The Hairy Coo tour leaves Edinburgh, Scotland, UK and visits the Highlands for the day!
I had such a wonderful time! It was a whirlwind tour, albeit over 8 hrs. long, of Scottish landscape, castles, monuments and of course, Hairy Coos (otherwise known as Highland Cattle)! Our tour guide, Donald, provided a wonderfully frenetic, informative and often hilarious commentary which touched on history, politics and culture, all delivered in a delightful Scottish brogue! I feel a bit sad for the people on the tour with limited English skills as they missed a wonderful performance! Vive Scotland libre! And please remember to tip your guide well. They deserve it! A couple of girls on our tour took advantage of the "free" aspect and volunteered only a few coins as a tip upon disembarking- less than a local bus fare. Not very clever.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Dawn1One
Hello Dawn1One,

It is really good to hear that you enjoyed your Hairy Coo tour so much. You have clearly taken some time to post such an insightful and charming review and we sincerely appreciate your support.