“The only good thing was the location.”
Review of Art Roch Hostel

and 1 more site!
Art Roch Hostel
Ranked #140 of 202 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Rome, Italy
“The only good thing was the location.”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I stayed there only a night, but it was a terrible experience: first of all, we booked beds in a female dorm while they put us in a mixed dorm because the hostel was full that night (who cares, since I paid for what I booked?); the most annoying thing was that the room was too dirty: bed linens were so dirty that I was worried about sleeping on them! In the room, there were clothes and personal belongings on the floor, beer cans, and the smell of beer was very strong. The only good thing was the location, since it was in the city centre. I don't want to say that this always happens , maybe I only was unlucky, but my experience was horrible and honestly I wouldn't suggest this hostel to someone else, also considered that it's not very cheap.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlessiaPD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2012

The location of this hostel was great with only a 10 minute walk to the Old Town of Edinburgh and a magnificent view of Edinburgh Castle the moment you walk out the front door. The hostel was relatively cheap as well, but you get what you pay for.

The rooms were fairly average and small. The hostel layout was poor, as there were too many areas for people to hang out (a kitchen up the top level, and a chill out area down the bottom) so it was a difficult environment to meet and chat to other travelers. There were no activities arranged by the hostel other than a pub crawl which was not running, but information was provided by tours that were run by 3rd party organisations. Staff were helpful when I wanted to book a tour with an external company.

Whilst the location was great I would've rather stayed in a more modern hostel with less rooms and a more social environment.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed 30 July 2012

I have stayed in hostels/backpackers all over the world and I had never been bitten by bed bugs before!! I stayed in the double room no- 301.
When I booked over the phone I asked for email confirmation of my booking and it was never sent even tho I phoned 3 more times asking for it,when I arrived at the hostel I was overcharged!! The red head girl behind reception very unhelpful,un interested and rude.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank travelers132549
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We were visiting Edinburgh as a part of our honeymoon and arrived at this hostel only to be told by a very unfriendly lady that the hostel was closed with no further explanation. We explained that we had a booking at the hostel only to be told "too bad" and ushered out of the building into the rain with nowhere to go. Outside the hostel a man told us that the hostel should be open in a week or so which was of no help to us. We would have appreciated prior contact from the hostel to let us know that our booking would not be honoured or at least a proper explanation and respect when we arrived at the hostel. Even if this hostel suposedly does open I would highly recommend to not stay there!!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea F
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I give this hostel an average rating because I didn't stay here long enough (only for 1 night) to be able to fully judge it. We stayed in an 18 bed mixed dorm--I found the beds fine. The only problem is that for an 18-bed dorm, it's quite small and the door to the bedroom slams shut. If you have roommates who are not cognizant of how loud they are, that can be a pretty big disturbance, especially at night. The bathrooms were not the cleanest, but not the dirtiest I've seen. In addition, the floors/ceilings are VERY thin--you can hear any noise coming from above you. I don't know what the people on the floor above me were doing that night, but it sounded like they were bowling or playing hockey in the hallways. I almost got out of bed to complain because it was so loud, but decided to just try and get some sleep anyways. The pros of this place is that it has a lot of character, and it is cheaper compared to other hostels in Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Brugherio, Italy
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Ok, it's a hostel. A cheap hostel. But, probably, the worst hostel I'va ever been in my (still young) life.
We were a group of seven friends who wanted a cheap place for a two nights-stay in Edimburgh. What we got in Art Roch was a room (N. 104 ) truly dirty (used tissues under the beds, a broken window) and with a toilet that during our first night clogged up and began to fill the floor (of the entire room) with water. And not clean water, of course. The staff moved us in a bigger room (for 12 guests), assuring that, for the second night, no one would have been hosted in there, except for us. Well, the new room was ok, but when we came back in the evening we found two new luggages, two new guests in there... Dulcis in fundo: the common bathrooms. The toilets were not so clear and one of them gave the impression to be on the brink of cloggin up...
The only positive aspects were the position (near to the Castle, the cathedral and many nice pubs and clubs) and that, after all our problems, the staff didn't make us pay anything for our stay in there…

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Whitefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I booked this hostel and read the reviews afterwards and I was really concerned with what i had read in the reviews. The hostel was clean and quirky and the staff were very helpful, I saw a number of rooms as it was quite a large group and all the rooms were clean and suitable to their purpose, they are not fancy they are not the Hilton it is a clean hostel that provided me exactly what i needed somewhere to sleep. It was a reasonable cost and i think good valuable for money!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends