“Great place to eat”

Aberdeenshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I had a wonderful 3 course meal the food was so tasty and delicious. I had soup,balmoral chicken and the best sticky toffee pudding ive ever had. Was very well satisfied,would definately dine again.

1 Thank Lyn W

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent all round visit.”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My self and a group of friends ( party of 10 in total) have just return from all I can say was a great all round experience. A very warm and friendly welcome, great advice and recommendations of attractions to visit etc. We were told how to save money in the form of getting a day pass on the bus. Which we defiantly got our monies worth from. And the owner and his wife couldn't do any more to make is feel welcome.

The room was very nice and spacious, spotlessly clean, plenty of towels etc.

We had breakfast and it too was a very pleasant experience, very helpful hosts, full choice of cooked breakfast, cereals, fresh fruit and fresh fruit juices. Couldn't be faulted at all. Service for clearing the table was very good as it's not nice to have lots of plates etc around while you enjoy your food.

For us to be a very large group of ladies to kept happy I can clearly say we were, and we were well cared for and the owner and his wife I would say bent over backwards above and beyond their call of duty !!!!

Would recommend to all my family and friends. Also hope to visit again and soon I hope.

Thanks so much x

1 Thank Wozza34
“Let down by tripadvisor ”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I feel letdown by trip advisor this place had a rating of 22 out of over 1600 in Edinburgh. So I was expecting good things.
It was a Tuesday night on a cold November but a warm welcome was afforded to us once we had found the less than obvious entrance at the back.
However I was surprised to find just a single price (£23) three course menu was on offer especially as there were only about Half a dozen choices.
The food although basic was reasonable. But by 9 o'clock the place was empty and we felt as if we should move on.

2 Thank Rodders27
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Most embarrassing experience of my life.”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I am a retired teacher in my mid sixties. Today I visited this restaurant with my 2 adult sons.

We eat out regularly but didn't want to go into the city centre. We were treated to a very warm welcome.

We were the only customers in the restaurant which was beautiful. It was chilly but we were seated near a fire. Starters were good.

I then had Balmoral chicken & my eldest son had steak pie, both of which were really good.

My youngest son ordered a medium rare Aberdeen Angus steak. This was not so good. It was not medium rare & was mostly overdone.

The host was very attentive and asked if everything was fine. When we had finished our meal he asked if we had enjoyed the meal. We replied that it was good but the steak had been overdone (most of it was uneaten).

The proprietor walked away & moments later stormed back with the plate & proceeded to cut up the leftover steak, while ranting about the steak being medium rare & that his chef was 55 years old & knew how to cook steak.

We were stunned & once again asked for our bill.

He stormed off & returned with the chef & the plate while he continued with his rant. I was embarrrassed.

Once again we asked for the bill only to be told that he didn't need our money & there was no charge. This waiver was not offered as an apology.

Again we asked for the bill & stated that we would rather pay then leave. We were ushered out.

I have never been spoken to in that manner. The tone was aggressive, insulting & unneccessary. Totally unprovoked.

We did not complain, merely answered his question politely.

5 Thank mairsie
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

After a hospital stay visited aron and the food was great served to the highest standard.warm welcome great atmosphere.will be coming to stay again.