“Allready planning our next trip.”
Review of Culane House Hotel

Culane House Hotel
Ranked #141 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Allready planning our next trip.”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

First visit to Scottland and we were made very welcome. We stayed 5 nights and were very well looked after. The room and bathroom were ideal for us, and the traditional scottish breakfast was just the same as a traditional english breakfast and it lasted me all day. Kenny was always on hand to give advice, he knows the area very well. Plenty of things to do in Edinburgh and we didnt get round to all of them and so we hope to go back in the spring to finish off our sightseeing. We like to walk but having the bus stop outside saved our legs getting into town although we walked there as well. Thank you for a lovely time, we will see you again. Jenny and Steve.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here 4nights and found the location great, the bus is right outside and we could also walk into the city. Our room had everything supplied, even an iron and board! Also the rooms are spotlessly clean.
Breakfasts were very good, a wide variety of choices available. The staff are very friendly and helpful, Sunita even printed directions to a restaurant for us. I would definitely stay here again and recommend Culane House to others.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The staff were absolutely fabulous and could not have been more helpful or friendly. The location is great and overlooks a lovely park. There is street parking and the bus is right outside.

However, the room (on the ground floor) was just ridiculously small, and the bathroom was even smaller - so tiny you seriously could not dry yourself! To pay £145 for a room this size was just being ripped off. Maybe we just had the worst room in the place!!

There were tea & coffee facilities and toiletries. Breakfast was great but service was slow. The Wi-Fi was intermittent at best.

All-in-all, disappointing!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I (in our seventies) stayed at the Culane House Hotel recently and were delighted with the friendly and very attentive service we got. Kenny and Sunita were particularly good - seeing to our every need. The hotel is right on the bus line (stops outside the front door) with a lovely large park across the street. There are shops within walking distance and some good restaurants as well. We were assisted in finding a fabulous seafood restaurant (with 3 venues) called Fishers - we went 3 times and the food was wonderful, a hairdresser, a laundromat and all kinds of other needed directions. We were originally in the top floor king-sized room but were later moved to a room on a lower floor as we were having a bit of trouble on the two long flights of stairs. Breakfasts were wonderful - varied selections of cooked and non-cooked selections - yogurt, dry cereal, toast, juice, fruit, etc. as well as anything you wished to have cooked. Rooms were clean, bright and had tea and coffee supplies. All in all, a terrific place to stay and we'd go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: As it's an old building and doesn't have an elevator - if you have mobility problems ask for...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danae P
Scotland
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Just back from 2 nights at Culane House Hotel where we stayed for my sons wedding. Rooms were beautiful and clean. The double rooms are not big but have everything you need. Room 8 on the top floor is huge with an amazing bathroom. Breakfast was good with a decent choice. Only (very slight) negative was the wifi- connection was not great.
We were made very welcome. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Room 8- twin room. On top floor so not suitable if you can't manage the stairs. Huge room and ba...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I travelled from Switzerland and stayed here last weekend to celebrate our anniversary.We were very happy with our room & the staff very helpful in giving advice about restaurants etc. We will definitely be coming back as there is so much to see in the area.

• Stayed September 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I was very much looking forward to stay with my child (3) in Ediburgh for one night on the way home.
After several hours journey we got there and despite ringing the bell three times nobody answered the door - I started getting worried. Finally somebody came and said they didn't hear the bell...fair enough...
We got taken in the almost basement and despite asking for a cot bed there was none (admitidely this could be a mistake on behalf of my work place but don't think so... Nevertheless they brought a cot is a room where most furniture had to be shifted and had to squeeze to pass. The cot had no mattress, one double duvet should have served for both mattress and duvet!! I didn't was my child to sleep there so I had to share the already small double bed with worry that my child would fall off!
In the room there was no mobile signal neither wifi!!!! (at any point despite one member of staff said it may depend on how many people were using internet).
The towles smelled of something used! So much so that I refused to use them and used instead our clothes to dry! The room too didn't smell too nice either and the carpet too could do with a change or a thorough clean!
The morning after breakfast was average too - with raw hash brown !

The the first sight both room and bathroom looked decent! but certainly not suitable for an adult with a child!
I didn't ask to change room only because staff were polite and tried to be helpful at all times and felt terrible for them but certainly not what you expect after paying just few pound short of £100!
Finally they didn't even know that this was already paid by my work! and they asked me for my credit card...I had to insist that they should check their record, which they did and it was fine!

Room Tip: I am not sure if my comments apply to all room, we were in room 9.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business