“Innovative brilliance” 5 of 5 bubbles

Castle Terrace Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 2,437 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Just opened last week and we had a fabulous meal there
North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
“Innovative brilliance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

My favourite restaurant surprised me again with a wonderful combination of a perfectly cooked, succulent plaice fillet with a crumbed crust on a bed of cauliflower (yes, cauliflower) described as "Cauliflower cheese four ways". Each way was tasty with some crunch and what a pleasant way to serve a vegetable that is reputably - and sadly - falling from favour here. And the other innovation was the ballotine of grouse in a consomme that was delicate yet intense in flavour while the bird was tender. If it appears on the menu, go for it as a wonderful way to enjoy this lovely game bird.
And it was nice to see relatively new staff displaying Castle Terrace's diner-focussed care and the busy restaurant a-buzz with such diners enjoying themselves.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Kirkcaldylad

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
“Spectacular, simple as really!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

My girlfriend was treating me to dinner for my birthday before we went out for the Fringe. I hadn't looked at the menu deliberately to surprise myself, and I wasn't disappointed at all. It had a great selection there, with an option of a taster menu if you wanted it. When we were told the taster menu, it was a no brainer, and when we were told what the upgrade was for it, again, it had to be done. The food that came out was just fantastic! Each course better than the last, and all brought to you in a pace that was comfortable. You were never once rushed, and the service was brilliant! The knowledge they had of the courses was as you would expect.... brilliantly in depth! The atmosphere was lovely, warm and cozy. You knew you were in a top end restaurant, but at the same time, it was very easy to relax and enjoy your night.
It was a night to remember, and I will be returning for another incredible night soon! Thank you for starting my night in a most spectacular way!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
“We loved our 1st visit to Castle Terrace :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

As voted above - 5 out of 5 on all counts. Would highly recommend a fine dining experience here. Really memorable lunch celebrating my son's 21st birthday.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Now I understand why Castle Terrace has a Michelin star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

I decided to treat my wife and I to the taster menu at Castle Terrace, during our Edinburgh holiday as a late anniversary treat. We're not normally the sort of people to enjoy fine dining but there are no Michelin starred restaurants in my home city of Manchester so I thought this would make a nice once in a lifetime treat. My wife was apprehensive and worried she wouldn't enjoy it but she was pleasantly surprised.

Although the place feels classy and high quality, it doesn't feel pretentious or stuffy. Lots of guests were taking pictures of their food and the staff were happy with this. We dressed up for the evening but there was a family with kids wearing football shirts and they welcome you all, just the same.

Before we even started our taster menu, we were given aperitifs of mini margarita pizzas, cod ravioli and a strange green blob on a biscuit that melted in you mouth and tasted like a caesar salad.

This was followed by the chefs decomposition of a waldorf salad, with a little pot pf celery foam with cute slithers of apple and crushed walnut.

We opted to have the matched wine package that meant a different small glass of wine with every course, the first being a Phillipponnat Reserve Rosee Champagne from France. I'm not a big wine connoisseur and I don't normally like Champagne but this was really nice.

You could tell that a great deal of thought had been put into matching the wines, the flavours balanced perfectly. The staff paid an enormous amount of attention to detail, waiting for us to finish a conversation before interrupting with the next food course and the wine followed immediately every time. Nothing was left to chance and our hosts described exactly what the food was with every course and the wine server was extremely impressive. It felt like we were travelling around the world with his knowledge of the wines.

Our pre-starter was a Tartare of wild sea trout served Sushi style. It's not the sort of thing I'd normally order and that's what I liked about the sampler menu, you get to try things you wouldn't normally, and if you don't like a dish, it's no big deal but I can honestly say there wasn't a single dish I didn't enjoy. This also came with a basket of homemade breads and an Australian white wine called Marsanne Chateau Tahbilk.

Our starter was a scallop, served in a shell with celeriac and curry. The scallop was very sweet and cooked perfectly and the flavour worked well with the curry sauce. This was accompanied by another white wine, this time Flor de Gewurztraminer from Spain. By this time we were starting to feel a little merry.

The next course was Risotto of organic spelt from Doves Farm. Served with fresh summer peas, crispy ox tongue and veal heart. This was my favourite dish. The risotto was so creamy and the the veal heart was crisp on the outside but melted in your mouth! I could have eaten several plates of this, it was so delicious. It was accompanied by our first red wine, Marcillac, Domaine du Cros from France.

I don't normally drink red wine, it normally gives me a headache. The cheap supermarket stuff we've had in the past tastes like it's full of chemicals but this was different, it was creamy and didn't taste heavy. I would happily drink it again, it matched the creaminess of the risotto perfectly!

The fish course was seared hake with crispy potato. It tasted much like code and once again was cooked and presented perfectly. The fish course was served with an Argentinean Chardonnay.

The meat course was Filet Mignon of Ayrshire pork, served with braised fennel, smoked aubergine puree, and a basil and olive jus served with another red whine, Rivera Del Duero, Mesoneros de Castilla from Spain.

At this point we were offered a cheese board before our dessert and I couldn't resist so we had one between us. The cheeses were the best I've ever tasted. Blue cheeses with a delicate flavour that wasn't overwhelming and oat cakes and walnut bread to eat it with. I wish I knew the names of the individual cheeses so I could try to get some for myself. We washed this down with a glass of extremely sweet, fruity port, Niepoort from Portugal.

The dessert was a Panna Cotta of strawberries from Blacketyside Farm, served with coriander jelly and a chilled strawberry soup. It almost looked to good to eat but I settled for taking a picture before devouring it. The dessert was accompanied with a sweet dessert wine from Hungary called Tokaji.

We were enjoying ourselves so much that ran out of time. We were due to see a show at 21.20 and had to skip the tea and coffees with petit fours, which is a shame but the staff were understanding and were quick to bring the bill when we asked. They also gave us a scroll listing what food and drink we had to take away with us, that was a nice touch!

I was very impressed with Castle Terrace and hope to find an excuse to take my wife back there one day. It's not cheap, the portions are small but the food is of the highest standard and its more of an experience than just a meal!

One word of caution, if you go for the sampler menu, make sure you allow yourself at least 3 to 3 and a half hours for the experience because you'll want to savour every moment!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mancmanomyst
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An unforgettable lunch experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Just back from lunch at Castle Terrace and had to write a review. We had been given a voucher ages ago for the set lunch, and just hadn't got round to booking - how sad! From the moment we arrived till we left, the staff were so attentive, and you were made to feel special. I loved all the amuse bouche that we got - could have continued eating them happily. All 3 courses were superb - beautiful presentation and every item of food on the plate tasted exquisite.
My husband had the wine tasing experience with it which he said was great.(Yes the wine list is pretty pricey!)
We had a 3 course dinner out last week at another Edinburgh restaurant last week which we thought was ok and pretty good value - but really nothing compares to the standard of the food and dining experience here!
The value of the set lunch is amazing.
We loved it so much I now plan to give a lunch voucher to my friend for a special brthday, on condition that we come back with them...clever eh?!

• Visited September 2012