“Wow!”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Just opened last week and we had a fabulous meal there
Dundee
“Wow!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Lovely surroundings, attentive and friendly staff. We went for the 3 course set lunch menu with matched wines which was an excellent decision as we could never have chosen so perfectly ourselves. On par with similar establishments in London and I can't wait to book again this time for dinner!

• Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“You must have the tasting menu!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We went here whilst visiting Edinburgh for my partner's birthday, we had the evening tasting menu and accompanying wine, yes it's pretty pricey but worth every penny both in terms of the staff knowledge and service, food itself and beautiful wine! We were made to feel very welcome and well looked after and the staff even came up with a birthday card and cake for my partner which was a lovely touch, the food was insanely good and we were far too full and a bit squiffy to try any nearby bars...very unlike us so it goes to show how well fed and watered we were! The only teeny weeny negative I could find was that some of the other diners were a wee bit stuffy, but that's to be expected I guess at this type of venue, and the staff more than made up for it with their warm welcome!

• Visited October 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

From start to end. Fantastic lunch, well balanced, perfectly cooked and well served. Definitely a place to go, no doubt!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A good birthday meal”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I guess I will open by saying this is the only Michelin star restaurant I have been to, so I don’t have much of a benchmark for comparison. That being said, I thought the food was exceptional – everything we ate from the tasting menu was very good. We were impressed at both how every dish came with the exact balance and quantity of the ingredients that was needed, and how when my girlfriend said she didn't like the sound of one of the plates something completely different was made for her.

The negatives were how obsequious the waiters were – being tended to at that excessive level just doesn't feel natural to me – and that both of us were… ill… shortly after we got back to our apartment. I think, well hope, this was purely because of how much food there was and how rich it was.

This was really great food but with an experience I found slightly awkward and an ending that was regrettable. I would go back for another special occasion, but I would opt for something ‘a la carte’ rather than the full tasting menu next time.

• Visited April 2013
Oslo, Norway
“We will be back!!!!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We tried to get a table last year on our trip to Edinburgh - but were too late to get one.

This year we ordered a table in september for our trip in December and we will definitely order one for next year if we do our pre-Xmas trip to Edinburgh. We are 3 couples traveling together and food and wine are one of our favorite things to do.

The Castle Terrace is a somber, quiet restaurant just below Edinburgh Castle. It has a modern design and service is superb. We chose to visit for lunch - mostly because it is an expensive place. The set menu for lunch has 3 courses and changes often we have heard. You have 3 choices for each course. We all tried different combinations with fish, meat and poultry. I myself had a red gurnard tartar, a lamb combination and a heavenly cheesecake to finish it of. The other 5 had other combinations which I do not recall - but all were in heaven. We all chose the wine package and were delighted to see that we received wines that matched whatever we were eating.

The staff was excellent: each course was described and so was each wine. The wine waiter knew what each person was eating and told why the wine was perfect for that dish. The wines were perfect and from various parts of the world. So it was like a wine trip of the world. The food is what we in Norway call "short-travelled food" - which means produce from your own area

We hope to visit again next year - then we might try the tasting menu. If you visit Edinburgh make sure to try the Castle Terrace. It is worth every penny. But order in advance - this is a very popular restaurant.

• Visited December 2013