“Excellent lunch”

Castle Terrace Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Just opened last week and we had a fabulous meal there
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The simplest review I can give this meal is that it was everything I hoped it would be.
The accompanying wine selection was very nice and overall I thought the meal was very good value for money. The staff were slick, attentive and pleasant and it was a very satisfying experience. Definitely recommend this to anyone!

1 Thank Neil I

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Bland”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The food lacked flavour, the restaurant lacked atmosphere and the staff lacked charm. We were served by an array of (mostly French) people whom mumbled an explanation of the dish which we struggled to understand and none of whom made any effort to develop a rapport with us.

I am not a stranger to Michelin dining, however Castle Terrace did not live up to basic restaurant standards, let alone Michelin standards. The most disappointing dining experience I have had in a very long time.

• Visited July 2014
16 Thank travelbug3009
Kelso, United Kingdom
“Xmas Present in August !!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We got a voucher for a set lunch here as a Xmas present and took it up last week== it was amazing == all we had expected of a highly rated chef in a well respected establishment == the food was spot on== stylish and cooked to perfection and served most pleasantly==The whole experience offered great value and we hope SANTA take us here again next year !!!

London, United Kingdom
“MICHELIN STAR???”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

As a regular business user of michelin star and equivalent restaraunts in Edinburgh, I decided to add Castle Terrace to my list. After visiting this wont be the case.
A few positives first. The greeting was warm and professional. The immediate impression of the bar area good.Some of the waiting staff were very obviously of a higher standard and better trained than the others. The food was good if you were dining in anything other than a michelin star establishment. The wine was good and the list comprehensive. Ok, now for the many downsides....
How on earth can a restaraunt with as many people as possible crammed into a small space to maximise profit be classed as fine dining? There was barely enough room to move items about the table and any chance of intimate conversation was unlikely due to the presence of someone so close from the next table. It had the atmosphere of a very upmarket bistro at best.
The food was ok but there is much better and classier fare to be had in Edinburgh. The food was over seasoned and no adequate explanations given for any queries/issues raised.. When my companions indicated some issues we got what my mother would describe as a 'glaikit' smile with no attempt to follow through the issues raised.
My pet hate is to be patronised. After eating in hundreds of fine dining establishments I know what I want to drink and when. To be advised that perhaps I would like some red wine with my meal-when we had purchased very expensive white wine- was irritating. No I will decide what I want to drink and when. Some of the staff were pretentious but without the skills or knowledge to justify it. And poring wine at a rate of Usain Bolt running indicates a wish to maximise profit and not taking account of your guests comfort.
I couldnt wait to get out...and my companions felt the same. I am astounded as to why this place rates ahead of at least ten places which are far superior in Edinburgh. The main issue if I am honest is the staff..I saw them openly scowling and snapping at each other....something I have never seen in equivalent restaraunts anywhere in the world.
Michelin star????I fail utterly to understand why.

6 Thank brian j
Edinburgh
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was looking forward to going to Castle Terrace but fairly disappointed for several reasons. The actual restaurant is cramped with little space between tables and the tables are too small. The service is very attentive but not of a great quality compared to other fine dining restaurants in Edinburgh. The food is nice but not Michelin quality or standard. Both dishes I had were 'smothered' in sauce making it difficult to actually taste the food!

As a regular visitor to 'fine dining' restaurants of Michelin star and equivalent I would have to say that Castle Terrace is not up to that standard. Also the curtains were closed I presume to promote a feeling of intimacy however this is not going to work with crowded congested tables close to each other.

2 Thank muzzyg34