“Good food but tables far too close together”

Castle Terrace Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 2,448 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Just opened last week and we had a fabulous meal there
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good food but tables far too close together”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

The food was good especially the monkfish for main and choc pudding, the starters ok. Service fine, prices very expensive, the tables are far too close together if you want a romantic meal wouldn't go back.

• Visited November 2013

• Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We visited on Thursday evening during the Fringe Festival, having booked months before.

Excellent testing menu with accompanying flight of wines (the cheaper wines package).   My wife being vegetarian was not an issue and she had her own bespke menu which coincided with mine at certain points.  In recognition of the cost of the ingredients that was £10:cheaper than the normal tasting menu, which is good to see.

Good greeting and seating in the tastefully decorated bar.  2 very good GnTs; they carry a good selection of gins.

Lovely and inventive amuse bouche, with a vegetarian one substituted for my wife.

Nice dining room with a decent buzz to it without being noisy or clattery.

A minor blip with my wife's first course where she was presented with salmon. That was whisked away in a heartbeat and swiftly replaced.  The replacement (kholrabi) was apparently divine.  Everything else from there on in was stage managed to perfection.

The sommelier deserves special mention. He was very enthusiastic and clearly really enjoyed his job, being both clear and very knowledgeable with good explanations.  My wife and I had different wines throughout so he was working pretty hard and making us very happy indeed with his choices, all of which complemented the food very well.

Only slightly disappointing course was the "burger" which to my mind was simply trying too hard to be clever.  It was very pretty to behold but I wish I'd had the new season grouse or similar in substitution. But that was just my taste and they did do a vegetarian equivalent burger for my wife, so our plates looked identical.

The fish courses were very good indeed. My wife's gnocchi course was surprisingly large for such a filling and rich dish - we did wonder if they'd plated a full portion rather than a tasting menu version.

Cheese trolley was very impressive and while I was not blown away by what I chose (it was all very nice) that again is my personal preference.   Good selection of accompaniments but only two biscuits/breads.  No offer of a choice of port to go with the cheese but I could of course have asked for one. My wife decided to skip the cheese course.

Dessert was lovely and not too rich, which was no bad thing given the 7 previous courses.

We declined coffee and we're given the petit fours to take home, as well as printouts of our respective menus.

All of the staff were very efficient and professional.  Whenever the food arrived the sommelier was only seconds behind ready to explain how the wine matched the food.

Under £300 for 15 courses (7 and 8) plus matching wines is very decent value for food at this level.

This place definitely deserves its position as #1 in Edinburgh and I have to say we preferred it to The Kitchin (which we visited during The Fringe Festival in 2013).

A delightful evening.

1 Thank Anton_Smith
Craster, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Four of us visited last week and had the taster menu with accompanying wines. Although pricey
it was excellent. The courses were varied , with lots of flavours going on and the wines well suited. The service was pitched right, attentive, relaxed and not overbearing. The place was buzzing, not like some other Michelin star restaurants we've visited.

• Visited August 2014
Edinburgh
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Had the Tasting Menu plus wine - it was wonderful, as were all the staff. Cannot recommend highly enough!

• Visited August 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent & Expensive ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We treated ourselves to dinner during the Festival for our wedding anniversary.
The exterior is discreet and I've never noticed the restaurant before despite driving past on many occasions.
The staff were excellent. Attentive and friendly.
The food was also excellent as we expected.
However, be prepared to pay a lot for the quality. The wine list starts at around £50 and although very good, the wine was no better than you'd get from the good shelf in Tesco. I'm not a wine connoisseur, though!
When it comes to food, though, I know what I like. I had grouse as the season had just started and it was excellent.
Canapés were provided in between courses and we left thoroughly full and satisfied.