“Should have gone next door...”
Review of cuthberts - CLOSED

cuthberts
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Newly open coffee and sandwich bar serving fabulous coffee,lunches and traditional afternoon teas.Mixed urban clientele in the centre of the financial district of Edinburgh
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I thought I'd give Cuthbert's a go, having frequented Ludon's next door. I have to say I was bitterly disappointed. The service was slow to the point that I had to pester the waitress to come over to take my order. She busied herself wiping clean tables whilst my girlfriend and I sat there like muppets. When the food finally did arrive, it was very poor. The sandwiches were dry and the cakes were all icing and not a lot else. The coffee was OK I suppose, but I've had a better cup of Nescafe instant. As for value for money, well, there isn't any. It's priced well out of its league and embarrassingly fails to deliver. I'll stick to next door in future!

2  Thank Michael W

Reviewed 10 September 2012

We had a great family brunch at Cuthberts. Our large group included 5-month old twins. Everyone had a great time, babies too.
It was relaxed and we were not rushed (although the service was always efficient and ready to respond). We just enjoyed chatting (and sipping and nibbling) and about two hours slipped by almost without notice.
Most of our group had the traditional breakfast, which comes in three sizes according to appetite. All the usual items are available: egg, sausage, back bacon, black pudding, mushrooms, baked beans and toast -- everyone enjoyed their servings (of various sizes).
For a Sunday, the dining area was not overly rushed or crowded, although there was a constant stream of customers.
It seemed like a great place to relax over a caffè latte or two while reading the morning papers.
There is an outdoor area. But on that day Edinburgh was a wee bit chilly, so no one seemed willing to sit out.
When we return to Edinburgh, Cuthberts will be on our list for brunch, or for a nice coffee, or maybe for their afternoon tea.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

This was me and my girlfriends second visit here. previous one was just for coffee and even that was poor. cafietire for 2 that didnt fill 2 cups and when asked for a top up were told it would be charged as a refill.

Any ways had just been to see a mid morning show at the traverse and fancied a late breakfast. having popped in to Loudens next door and not had much taking our fancy we heading in to cuthberts after seeing there olympic breakfast deal on their outside board. $20 or $5 if you finish it. Had something more dainty in mind but thought what the hell. First bad sign was the chef returning with an ominously large purchase from the tesco express across the road. when the breakfasts came we were greeted with a monstrosity. (4 rashers of bacon, 4 bits of black pudding, 4 bits of haggis, 4 eggs, 4 sausages, beans, toast and mushroom). The size was not an issue just the sheer terrible quality of the products and the general lack of basic cooking that was applied to them. rubbery bacon, mushrooms that were not cooked and by the amout of water on the plate were boiled, warmed tattie scones with no sign of oil or butter being used to fr them. sausages that had the taste and consistancy of sawdust, gristly black pudding and overcooked eggs. at least the chef seemed to be able to microwave beans. I dont know why this gimic was put on as it must destroy what ever reputation this place was trying to build. to top this off we have no attention from the serving staff and repeatedly had to go to the counter to ask for salt, pepper, and water refills.

was put off by my first visit and this shocker of a second visit ensure will certainly never return

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Cuthberts used to be one of my favourite places to go for lunch as I work nearby. When it had first opened I used to go there at least once a week. Food was delicious, lots of different choices in the menu and very friendly stuff; good portions and good value for money too.
At some point the place must have changed owners and nothing is quite as nice ever since. Menu choices are limited, stuff is not very helpful and the food is so much worse and quite pricey.
Today it is the last time I am ever going to visit this place. I went with some friends and I ordered a club sandwich, and what I got was 3 slices of bread (not toasted) , cut in half, hardly any fillings and the side was two salad leaves and two walnuts... I paid £7.25 for bread basically...I was so embarrassed as I suggested the place to my friends as a 'great' place to have lunch.
Loudons next door is so much better.

1  Thank PL_83
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We've been twice and had very different experiences... The first time there were 4 adults and a baby and service was incredibly slow, despite it not being particularly busy. The second time we went, just 2 of us, and service was quite quick. The soup and sandwich package is good value (and the soup is homemade) otherwise I think a few items on the menu are a little overpriced for what you get. The menu is not extensive - mostly breakfasts and sandwiches, plus coffees and cakes - but it's a nice place and has free wifi. I'd probably give it another try - and hope the service was good - it did seem even the 2nd time we went that the waitresses were taking a long time to make a few coffees and scones for other tables - maybe the coffee machine is super slow or something!?!