“Fail :(” 2 of 5 bubbles

cuthberts
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: British, Cafe, Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: Newly open coffee and sandwich bar serving fabulous coffee,lunches and traditional afternoon teas.Mixed urban clientele in the centre of the financial district of Edinburgh
Edinburgh
“Fail :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

I agree with the other negative reviews. I visited with my 3 year old, my baby & my mum for lunch. We arrived at 1pm and after finding a table we were handed menus to take a look at. The adults decided on soup and a sandwich and french toast for the little one with a coffee and 2 soft drinks. The soup I wanted was sold out and there was no white bread so I just went for the sandwich.
Firstly the drinks took about 15 minutes to turn up and my coke was warm. The food took so long my children started getting restless and I had to take the baby out of the highchair (the one positive that gives them the extra star is they have very good baby changing facilities although i didnt use their nappies or wipes as I use cloth). As it took so long I was expecting something really special and what turned up was a slice of ham on bread from one of those tiny loafs and undressed salad leaves. My mums sandwich was as boring and my daughters french toast was eggy bread with golden syrup.
A group of girls behind us ended up asking for their food to takeaway it took so long! Have been next door to Ludons and it's much, much better. Will not be visiting Cuthberts again.

2 Thank Mandy S

Edinburgh
“Awful is being polite!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

My husband and I took our 3.5yr old and 7mth old for sunday brunch here before going on a canal boat trip across the road - we arrived at 11.40am as our boat trip was at 1 and thought this would give us plenty of time to eat as the place was half empty. We'd never heard of the place and as next door was heaving we thought we'd get served more quickly. I now realise, there was probably a reason it was quiet and next door was busy...

When we arrived, I checked whether they had a highchair available so that I could feed our baby, and was told that wouldn't be a problem. We unpacked the children got out of our jackets and got settled at the table - and finally 10minutes later, someone came over to bring us menus - no idea why it took so long, as staff just seemed to be standing around behind bar or cleaning tables - you would have thought dealing with customers would have been a priority. I asked again for a highchair and was told they didn't have one, so I had to put my baby back in her buggy to try to feed her, which was not at all ideal and we wouldn't have stayed if I'd known there was no high chair available...

There was a pile of colouring in books for children which I thought was a nice touch, but I couldn't see any crayons, so I asked for some and the woman brought him a tub with pens in it, including several biros and 3 permanent markers!??!?!? couldn't believe it - not only toxic to children, but why on earth would you give permanent markers to a child to draw with!!

We were given a breakfast menu, but no lunch menu which we had to ask for and we were never offered a childrens menu, which apparently they have?? Finally 25minutes after sitting at our table our order was taken, and we ordered a breakfast, eggs benedict with smoked salmon and french toast with banana for our son(as we hadn't been offered the kids menu), we ordered 1 coffee, 1 diet coke and 1 glass of milk.

Another 10minutes later our drinks arrived....

Now by the time we had ordered our food, there were only 4 other tables occupied, 2 of which were already eating. The table behind us had already complained about their food, which worried us slightly and they didn't seem happy at all... So we waited, and waited, and waited.....

We asked 3 times when our food was going to come and on the 2nd time, we were told it was just coming - I could see a plate of what looked like my eggs benedict just sitting on the kitchen worktop, 5 mins later it was still sitting there and I caught a member of staff who was going past and explained that we had now been there for over an hour, and still didn't have our food and that we needed to leave in 10mins and were considering leaving without having our food, as we wouldn't have time to eat it.

Another 3minutes passed and finally our food came out. The eggs which I had seen lying on the worktop for nearly 10minutes were indeed mine and as a result were cold!! I called over a waitress and explained my eggs were freezing cold - she apologised and took them away and returned 2mins later with the same plate of food which had been put in the microwave?!?!?! My smoked salmon was now cooked through, the hollandaise sauce had turned to spongy looking scrambled egg and my poached eggs were hard in the middle. I couldn't believe it!! I called the waitress over and said it had been microwaved and ruined and she apologised again and said could she get me something else. As we only had 5mins to finish the food pay and leave, I explained I didn't have the time. So as my husband and little boy finished their food, I asked for the bill and got ready to leave.

I previously worked in hospitality for years as a waitress and single handedly managed to serve more tables than there were in that afternoon with 3 waiting staff looking after them. The staff were not at all attentive and were not particularly welcoming, I don't think one smiled once at us. We should have been brought menus and asked what drinks we wanted as soon as we arrived, rather than just left to sit around clock watching, especially as the room was absolutely roasting with the sun streaming in the windows and no blinds to shield your eyes from it, so a drink earlier would have been greatly appreciated.

The chef needs to be sacked immediately!! Who in their right mind leaves food lying around getting cold and then microwaves it when it's sent back!!!! Especially eggs benedict with smoked salmon.... Absolutely shocking.

It completely ruined our lunch, and there was no time for me to get something to eat before going on our boat trip, so I was absolutely starving, and ended up getting the first thing to eat all day at 3pm from the Tesco across the road!!! Should have just got a sandwich from there in the first place!!

Whoever owns this place, needs to have a serious look at who they employ and get some staff training or replacement underway, it's such as shame as it's a great location and a lovely looking place with a comfy feel - they are really letting themselves down.

We definitely won't risk a return visit.

2 Thank kg5480
Bath, United Kingdom
“Should have gone next door...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

I thought I'd give Cuthbert's a go, having frequented Ludon's next door. I have to say I was bitterly disappointed. The service was slow to the point that I had to pester the waitress to come over to take my order. She busied herself wiping clean tables whilst my girlfriend and I sat there like muppets. When the food finally did arrive, it was very poor. The sandwiches were dry and the cakes were all icing and not a lot else. The coffee was OK I suppose, but I've had a better cup of Nescafe instant. As for value for money, well, there isn't any. It's priced well out of its league and embarrassingly fails to deliver. I'll stick to next door in future!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Michael W
Comox, Canada
“Great Sunday Brunch for Nine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

We had a great family brunch at Cuthberts. Our large group included 5-month old twins. Everyone had a great time, babies too.
It was relaxed and we were not rushed (although the service was always efficient and ready to respond). We just enjoyed chatting (and sipping and nibbling) and about two hours slipped by almost without notice.
Most of our group had the traditional breakfast, which comes in three sizes according to appetite. All the usual items are available: egg, sausage, back bacon, black pudding, mushrooms, baked beans and toast -- everyone enjoyed their servings (of various sizes).
For a Sunday, the dining area was not overly rushed or crowded, although there was a constant stream of customers.
It seemed like a great place to relax over a caffè latte or two while reading the morning papers.
There is an outdoor area. But on that day Edinburgh was a wee bit chilly, so no one seemed willing to sit out.
When we return to Edinburgh, Cuthberts will be on our list for brunch, or for a nice coffee, or maybe for their afternoon tea.

edinburgh
“just a joke”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

This was me and my girlfriends second visit here. previous one was just for coffee and even that was poor. cafietire for 2 that didnt fill 2 cups and when asked for a top up were told it would be charged as a refill.

Any ways had just been to see a mid morning show at the traverse and fancied a late breakfast. having popped in to Loudens next door and not had much taking our fancy we heading in to cuthberts after seeing there olympic breakfast deal on their outside board. $20 or $5 if you finish it. Had something more dainty in mind but thought what the hell. First bad sign was the chef returning with an ominously large purchase from the tesco express across the road. when the breakfasts came we were greeted with a monstrosity. (4 rashers of bacon, 4 bits of black pudding, 4 bits of haggis, 4 eggs, 4 sausages, beans, toast and mushroom). The size was not an issue just the sheer terrible quality of the products and the general lack of basic cooking that was applied to them. rubbery bacon, mushrooms that were not cooked and by the amout of water on the plate were boiled, warmed tattie scones with no sign of oil or butter being used to fr them. sausages that had the taste and consistancy of sawdust, gristly black pudding and overcooked eggs. at least the chef seemed to be able to microwave beans. I dont know why this gimic was put on as it must destroy what ever reputation this place was trying to build. to top this off we have no attention from the serving staff and repeatedly had to go to the counter to ask for salt, pepper, and water refills.

was put off by my first visit and this shocker of a second visit ensure will certainly never return

• Visited August 2012