“Travelodge Waterloo Edinburgh”

Travelodge Edinburgh Central Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #65 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We arrived past midnight following a wedding down in Edinburgh outskirts. We were informed of lack of parking facility in this Travelodge outlet prior to our arrival but we decided the location was ideal for our short weekend itenary.

The closest parking facility is the St James Shopping Centre parking spaces, which is open 24 hours. However, on the website, there was no indication or suggestion as to which entrance to take. The GPS/Garmin device only detects the entrance from York Place. We were not aware that there was more than 1 entrance into the parking space in St James Shopping Centre.

We ended up walking down York Pl and onto St Andrew St to get to Princes St to find our way to the hotel. It was quite a long walk at that time of the night. There should have been a clearer direction on the website.

The hotel is actually at the end of Princes Street, where it joins to become A1. It is not far off from the Princes St/Leith St junction. It is indeed very strategic and convenient location for those not driving.

For those driving, do use the Leith Street entrance into the St James Shopping Centre parking spaces. The hotel provides a 15-20% discount on your parking fee. The website states 20% discount but for some reason we were only given 15%.

The disadvantage is that if you want to park your car and drive out multiple times in a day, you have to pay for every entry into the parking space. It is not an unlimited entry parking fee. It runs exactly like a shopping mall parking.

Parking issues aside, the room was very clean and comfortable. Only problem was lack of ventilation. The windows could only open to a small amount probably for safety purposes. And at this time of the year, there was a lot of midges entering our room. It was a difficult decision whether to have the window open as it was incredibly stuffy and warm, or to be bitten by midges.

My partner had several bites which ended up turning into bullae requiring steroids therapy. I would advice bringing some insect repellent along if you are planning on staying here during the summer season as the rooms can get very warm at night.

The room itself was nice but with very basic facilities. It does not include a hair dryer. It does have basic beverage facility but no fridge.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Brilliant location right at the end of Princes St, close to Waverley Station and all the attractions like the castle and Arthur's Seat. The room was a good size, the big bed very comfortable, and the bathroom small but clean and functional. But Travelodge's are a bit soulless and this one was no different. Nothing in the way of decor or homeliness - just the basics, distant staff, and a no-frills room. None of the little extras that make hotel rooms that bit better - like a mini fridge, safe or toiletries - but you know what to expect and you get exactly what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank dipper666
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here for one night, clean and comfortable room, comfy bed, very quiet, short walk from Waverley. Friendly, helpful staff who looked after us when the youngest member of our party needed ambulance, many thanks.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank xx-Jenna25
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed here one night as result of a work meeting and for £45 a night, plus being a Travelodge, my expectations were for an adequately comfortable bed for the night. Fortunately it is around a five minute walk from the central train station, and on a sunny afternoon the walk alongside the hilltop castle wasn't too bad at all. Surrounded by plenty of restaurants, bars and close to the tourist attractions, the location has to be a key selling point.

Unfortunately the check in was a painful process. I arrived around 5.30pm on a Thursday night and the queue was out onto the street. With only one person working the desk it took almost 30 minutes to finally get my key card. I'm not a fan of automated check-in machines but in such slow situations it was a shame not to have the option here! At least the receptionist was friendly.

The reception area was tiny and gives an idea for the rest of the hotel. There is no restaurant or even a bar present in the hotel, so the only option for breakfast is a 'snack box', so I recommend planning to get your morning fuel elsewhere. Not menu in the room indicates that it's wise to bring your own snacks too!

My room on the second floor (209) was a decent size. It overlooked what appeared to be a residential flat so the net curtains were appreciated. In June the room was very warm and the lack or any air conditioning was a problem for a comfortable night's sleep. I couldn't readily find a way to open the window so had to get used to it but any form of a fan would have been appreciated.

This particular Travelodge must have been through their recent renovation programme. The decor was clean, new soap dispensers were present in the bathroom (enough to prevent the need to bring your own) and accessories appeared new. The shower was pretty small (do expect a shower curtain being stuck to your arm throughout a wash) but it had some adequate power and fortunately was hot. I certainly had no complaints about the cleanliness of the room and despite being close to the lift I had a silent night.

I never attempted to try out the wifi in the room - 3G was in plentiful supply. The TV, although small and opposite the bed, had a decent signal and all the standard channels. The kettle was clean and there was enough coffee for a single night.

Overall this hotel met my expectations. It would be interesting to see if the room remains as clean in a year's time, but the location is ideal and low prices make it fine for a stop over stay, especially for work. If you don't arrive at peak times and are happy in the heat during summer, it does the trick!

Room Tip: Double check your room has a soap dispenser (my colleagues didn't) but the 2nd floor was enough...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2014

went for 3 days first time to stay at the travel lodge basic enough. but breakfast in a box was a bit weird. but very clean very quiet at night and a excellent location when you leave the travel lodge turn right and your right on the start of princess street . no need for taxis our buses everything can be done by foot .when you leave the airport get the 100 bus its a blue coach and drops you right in to princess street £7 return p/p

1  Thank wayneo867
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We only stayed in this Travelodge for one night at the beginning of June 2014, using it as a stop off on-route to Fort William – where we were also staying in the Travelodge.

There are a few Travelodge hotels nearby in the city but we chose this one simply because it’s only a 5 minute walk from Edinburgh Waverley railway station. (And within easy walking distance of all the public transport and facilities you could need when staying in the city) Just go out of the station via the Waverley Steps / Escalators. Turn right at the top, go straight over the road at the traffic lights then it’s less than a 30 yards ahead on the opposite side of the road. It is easy to miss because it doesn’t really stand out, but there is a blue Travelodge flag hanging outside.

You can always find the local telephone numbers for these hotels on the internet, and the number for this one is 020 319 547 81.
I always find it comforting to know that I can phone up to confirm my booking with a real person at the hotel after booking it online, and also to make any room requests.

I contacted the hotel after booking and the very pleasant receptionist I spoke to suggested, and booked us into, a very nice room which met all our requirements

We stayed in room 107 which is a double room at the front of the hotel on the main road; it was very spacious and comfortable with a double bed and a bathroom with a shower.
I initially thought the rooms’ location was likely to make it noisy, but there was additional double glazing secured to the wall in front of the window which eliminated almost all of the sounds from outside. So as long as the windows are closed you are unlikely to be too troubled by road noise.

The only negative thing I can say about the room was that the floorboards creaked when we walked around in it, but I am assuming that this was simply due to the age of the building. But I’m fairly sure there was no room beneath us, and we certainly didn’t hear anything above us, so it really wasn’t a problem for us.

Just a quick tip – we all own numerous electronic devices now that need constant charging, and often there are never enough plugs in the room to charge them all at the same time. So just to be on the safe side take a small extension cable with you, it really helps!

The hotel was very clean and presentable and appeared to have been recently refurbished, so our room had a very comfortable new bed.

Being in the city centre there are no shortages of places to eat nearby, so I would probably recommend giving the expensive breakfast box a miss

We have yet to stay in a Travelodge that wasn’t clean and functional, and because they are almost always identical in layout and the way they operate, you always know what you are getting before you arrive.

We only stayed in this one for one night but everything met our expectations and I would certainly recommend this hotel for a short break in Edinburgh – just book early to get the best deal

Room Tip: Phone before you go, they will do their best to give you a room that suits your requirements
1  Thank Technophobe220
Reviewed 17 June 2014

When I walked into the room (I arrived at 2100 hrs after a 4 1/2 hr journey from North Scotland) it felt like I had gone inside a sauna. It was almost unbearably hot. I immediately went down to reception to ask if there was a problem with the specific room but was told the hotel was full so I couldn't be moved. I assume the hotel doesn't have air conditioning. The man on reception did his best to help me though and said he'd see if he could find me a fan, which he did, and I was very grateful for it. Even with that I was still far too hot.

The room itself was nice with a really comfy bed, decent TV (not many channels though), good curtains and a reasonable shower. Another issue I had is that after a 5 minute shower I was standing in 1" of water. This really is unacceptable for a hotel and it took 10 minutes to drain away so clearly an issue there. There are 2 breakfast options but I didn't bother with those. The location for the city centre is great as it's less than a 5 minute walk from Waverley station. The room has a kettle with tea and coffee, and the bathroom has soap and also shower gel/shampoo. The location is excellent if you are here for one night and travelling by train as it's less than a 5 minute walk from Edinburgh Waverley.

Room Tip: Don't come here if it's forecast to be warm!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business