“Standard Chinese with good service”
Review of The Golden Dragon

The Golden Dragon
Ranked #1,003 of 2,570 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$13 - US$24
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: Authentic Chinese Restaurant in Edinburgh City centre. Established since 1964. Well known for handmade Har Gow, Siu Mai, Aromatic Crispy Duck and other special dishes.Chinese and Japanese translated menu available.
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

There was nothing that blew me away or stood out to put the restraint above other Chinese's, however the staff were very friendly. I would definitely go back.

Edinburgh888, Manager at The Golden Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your kind feedback. Next time you visit us again please allow me to offer guidance to menu of our authentic dishes. For example our homemade and handmade Har Gow (Prawn Dumplings) , Siu Mai (Prawn and Pork Dumpling ) , Crispy Aromatic Duck with Pancakes will certainly tantalise your taste buds.

Our hearty winter Beef Brisket Hot Pot is truly warming and tender to enjoy over the winter months. These are a few examples of authentic dishes that suit our Asian clientale and has made us stand the test of time.

We look forward seeing you very soon at the Golden Dragon , Castle Street.

Happy New Year!

Chinese New Year is 31st January 2014 ...come and celebrate with us if you have a chance.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Visited on Sunday 29th December, service was very good , friendly and attentive staff , food was very good , maybe a touch expensive compared to other Chinese Restaurants but would visit again .

2  Thank brussell2016
Edinburgh888, Manager at The Golden Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Happy New Year!

Thank you for your kind feedback. If you ever visit our vibrant city of Edinburgh please remember to see us again on Castle Street.

Wish you a great 2014.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We came into this restaurant whilst working in Edinburgh for the weekend in November. It was a busy Saturday night, however upon arival there were still spare tables and it wasnt too crowded. It took 20 minutes for anyone to offer us drinks and we had to ask for a menu.

We only ordered a main course and a rice dish each and it took 70 minutes for these to arrive. By this time my patience was wearing a little thin. We ate and got out of there again. I found the staff to be less than helpful and one was slightly rude despite the lengthly wait with no explanation

One of our party ordered a chicken curry. The entire bowl had just 8 peices of thinly sliced chicken in it. Not at all acceptable

Would i go back... NOT A CHANCE

1  Thank dancin_hanson81
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Food was extremely overpriced and service, duly unpleasant. They're also a tad heavy handed on the seasoning side. I would not recommend The Golden Dragon to anyone.

1  Thank gaucherie92
Edinburgh888, Manager at The Golden Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Customer,

We are sorry to hear about your feedback for your recent visit to us. As a reputable Chinese Restaurant in city centre Edinburgh we never like our customers to leave unhappy.

As a Restaurant Floor Manager I always ensure my customers have an enjoyable meal delivering good food and service. In a case like yours I only wish you had mentioned to me at the time so I can be given a chance to rectify matters there and then.

I appreciate if you can contact us at info@thegoldendragon.eu with details of what was purchased and the date and approximate time so I can communicate this matter to appropriate department.

Thank you.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Booked this restaurant mainly due to the location from the hotel where we were staying. It was within about 5 minutes of Hope Street so perfect. Booked in advance - just in case!
Very friendly staff and a very varied menu. Took the time to explain a number of dishes and guidance was given depending if you wanted something spicy or not. There were also a number of special dishes. Very good food, great value, great staff and great location. Would eat here again if I was in the area.