The building is in a very good location for business and tourism and also appears to be a local favorite. It was being upgraded to a Waldorf and there is still some construction going on but was not disturbing the hotel guests. The staff is very helpful but still adjusting. On one hand they are always checking with you to the point of being intrusive, on the other hand I find little details not observed: doors banged loudly, bathroom items not refilled. It's a very old building with limited infrastructure and I question the wisdom of upgrading it to a Waldorf. You can throw some marbles in the bathroom, but that doesn't make it a luxury hotel.
Breakfast was fine, the usual fare with a Scottish twist. Don't touch the black pudding, tasted like charcoal.
Also, if you are going to EICC you can cut across Rutland Square and there's a footbridge close to the center's backdoor, which was locked due to construction. Stay at the Sheraton if you want to be close to EICC until the construction is done.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, or the "Caley" as it has become affectionately known among Edinburgh folk, was and still is the epitome of style and excellence. The large, rose-coloured Permian sandstone facade, quarried in Dumfries, dominates the skyline of the city's west end. The hotel has not only remained a focal point for more than one hundred years, but a symbol of the very best of Scottish hospitality. The Caley's pivotal position at the very heart of Edinburgh has always been its greatest asset. Created out of the 19th century railway boom, the five star hotel is looking to the future with confidence and pride in its ability to keep pace with the times. The hotel's reputation is as justified now as it was when the hotel first opened its doors in 1903. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TravelUp and Hotelopia so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton International Edinburgh
- Hilton Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hilton
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian Scotland