We have just returned from lovely a 1 night business stay and I wish we could have stayed a little bit longer!
Positives: The hotel has been beautifully refurbished and the reception staff extremely professional and efficient. Neil, the doorman, was a delight to chat to on our way in and out of the main door, and a mine of helpful information. The bedrooms were very comfortable and generous in size (we had a king deluxe with castle view) and had everything we needed.
Negatives: Breakfast, breakfast, breakfast. We were seated at breakfast, then just left. We were not given a menu and had to ask for one. We had to get the attention of a waiter and ask for coffee, then the same thing happened with toast, then with orange juice. We ended up helping ourselves to knives, marmalade etc from a neighbouring table, as did other guests and overheard several people complain about the service. My husband ordered the smokie which came in a sauce, completely masking the huge number of bones. We had to send it back, which was ridiculous as we are used to removing bones from fish, but just could not see them with all the sauce. My omelette I was told, would be along shortly. They had clearly forgotten. The head waiter was very keen to make amends after we complained, however we were only staying for the one night. There were a lot of staff in the breakfast room and it was not busy. I cannot understand the sheer lack of service here and I think this is something that Hilton should addresss.
However, I would give the hotel another go next time I am in Edinburgh, as I think with this breakfast issue resolved they are on the way to being the best hotel in town, and I have stayed in many.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, or the "Caley" as it has become affectionately known among Edinburgh folk, was and still is the epitome of style and excellence. The large, rose-coloured Permian sandstone facade, quarried in Dumfries, dominates the skyline of the city's west end. The hotel has not only remained a focal point for more than one hundred years, but a symbol of the very best of Scottish hospitality. The Caley's pivotal position at the very heart of Edinburgh has always been its greatest asset. Created out of the 19th century railway boom, the five star hotel is looking to the future with confidence and pride in its ability to keep pace with the times. The hotel's reputation is as justified now as it was when the hotel first opened its doors in 1903. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton International Edinburgh
- Hilton Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hilton
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian Scotland