The Caledonian is a beautiful hotel in a great location at the quieter end of Princes Street. We very much enjoyed our stay and while I would be happy to stay again, a few niggles would prompt me to give one of the other grand Edinburgh hotels a try rather than stay loyal to this one. This is a pity because as stated it is a lovely hotel and could be a great one with a little extra attention. Good points - friendly staff, beautiful public areas, spacious rooms, clean, lots of facilities and nice touches like the fantastic bathrobes NYE gifts. Niggles - being told that one couldn't have a glass of burgundy in Peacock Alley as "the bottle was finished", coming back on NYE with muddy boots and when pointing this out to the concierge, being met with a shrug rather than an offer of assistance, an unbooked wake up call on New Year's Day, overbearing "musak" in Peacock Alley and at breakfast (I can quite appreciate the staff get inured to this, but it is unnecessary) being charged an extra night's accommodation when presented with the final account, skimping on bathroom fittings - even in a junior suite it was a shower in bath job. I don't mean to be curmudgeonly because we did enjoy a pleasant stay but if only the hotel would deal with these silly issues it would become a must stay place in the City which is surely where it wants and deserves to be.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, or the "Caley" as it has become affectionately known among Edinburgh folk, was and still is the epitome of style and excellence. The large, rose-coloured Permian sandstone facade, quarried in Dumfries, dominates the skyline of the city's west end. The hotel has not only remained a focal point for more than one hundred years, but a symbol of the very best of Scottish hospitality. The Caley's pivotal position at the very heart of Edinburgh has always been its greatest asset. Created out of the 19th century railway boom, the five star hotel is looking to the future with confidence and pride in its ability to keep pace with the times. The hotel's reputation is as justified now as it was when the hotel first opened its doors in 1903. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotelopia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton International Edinburgh
- Hilton Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hilton
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian Scotland