“Good but needs fine tuning”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #55 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northern Ireland
“Good but needs fine tuning”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

The Caledonian is a beautiful hotel in a great location at the quieter end of Princes Street. We very much enjoyed our stay and while I would be happy to stay again, a few niggles would prompt me to give one of the other grand Edinburgh hotels a try rather than stay loyal to this one. This is a pity because as stated it is a lovely hotel and could be a great one with a little extra attention. Good points - friendly staff, beautiful public areas, spacious rooms, clean, lots of facilities and nice touches like the fantastic bathrobes NYE gifts. Niggles - being told that one couldn't have a glass of burgundy in Peacock Alley as "the bottle was finished", coming back on NYE with muddy boots and when pointing this out to the concierge, being met with a shrug rather than an offer of assistance, an unbooked wake up call on New Year's Day, overbearing "musak" in Peacock Alley and at breakfast (I can quite appreciate the staff get inured to this, but it is unnecessary) being charged an extra night's accommodation when presented with the final account, skimping on bathroom fittings - even in a junior suite it was a shower in bath job. I don't mean to be curmudgeonly because we did enjoy a pleasant stay but if only the hotel would deal with these silly issues it would become a must stay place in the City which is surely where it wants and deserves to be.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us over New Year. Although you were satisfied with your experience overall, I am disappointed to read that you had some niggling issues, and these small lapses in services shall certainly be flagged up to the relevant department heads.

In the meantime, I do hope that you choose the 'Caley' again next year should you choose to return to Edinburgh, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you require any assistance if you do so.

Chris Logan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

Was a bit of a mix for a luxury hotel. Firstly the location surely must be the best of any hotel in Edinburgh, ideal for everything. It was a good waldorf hotel but I have stayed in better. We arrived early and were told the room wouldn't be ready till 3pm which was fine as that is normal check in time, we dropped our bags off with the concierge who stored them till we got back from the shops, however upon our return at 4:30pm we were told our room still wasn't ready. We were offered a complimentary cup of tea in peacock alley till it was ready but that shouldn't be the case in a 5* hotel. The room was nice enough with a castle view, unlike other reviews we had no problem with cold, noise or size. The breakfast was not bad, one day the food was lukewarm at best and the pastries were a bit hit and miss. Overall a nice stay but for me not upto the level I have experienced from WA in the past. The staff however were really very good, all very friendly and helpful with anything we needed,especially the concierge and doorman.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. There are certainly many positives to be found within your review, although you have mentioned the inability to check in on your arrival at the hotel. I realise that this was the case, mostly down the hotel being at full capacity throughout the period between Christmas and New Year. Never-the-less, I would like to offer my apologies for the inconvenience caused whilst you had to wait for your bedroom to become available.

I certainly the frustration that this would cause and I do hope that this experience does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed two nights over Hogmanay. The service in the hotel was excellent. On arrival, I dropped my partner at the door to ask directions to the car park and was shortly met by the doorman who arranged for valet parking. Whilst in common with other recent reviews, our room was not ready until 4pm, the reception staff "made good" with complimentary drinks for us in the bar. Peacock Alley is a lovely place to sit and have a drink. We were put in a room on the 5th floor with superb views over the castle and city. The room was very nice, and the bed gets a special mention for extreme levels of comfort. The bathroom was nice, walk in shower which was large enough for two. Nice touches on New Years Eve included a Piper playing in the corridor and being left traditional gifts (whisky, salt, coal & shortbread). I am a Gold member, and this stay was mostly funded on points. I can say Hilton has one of the best loyalty schemes I know. Oh, and the location of the hotel is perfect. Recommended for a chilled out stay in the relaxed city of Edinburgh. I would say the complaints seen in other reviews are small, and if you treat the hotel staff politely, with respect and relax, you get the same Scottish kindness in return.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us over the festive period. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the 'Caley' over New Year, and we appreciate the kind feedback that you have provided.

Moreover, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria again in the future.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed at this hotel during the busy time of Hogmanay in Edinburgh and had a fabulous stay. The hotel is located in an extremely grand building which has recently undergone a refurbishment. The building and design are both beautiful, and we were treated incredibly well by all staff. The location is ideal, with stunning views of the castle and just at the end of Princes Street, it keeps you close enough to the hub without being in the middle of it all.

The rooms were lovely, and well designed with high grand ceiling and rich decor. I would say that the bathrooms were quite chilly and there didn't appear to be any way of turning up the heat in them...

The bar was also nice, nothing special, but a good place to meet for a drink before heading out to explore.

Strathaven, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

If you are going to sell yourself as a luxury hotel then it is the small things that matter as well as the big things. We arrived early, so the fact that our room was not ready was not a problem, nor was the fact that we couldn't even be upgraded (as a Diamond member) to a room with a view of the castle. Interesting to read, though, that some other reviewers with lower (or no) status arriving on the same day were upgraded. I was advised, however, that I would receive "all the other Diamond benefits" but were not told what they were (especially regarding breakfast which I would normally get free and we booked when it was a "standard" Hilton. Don't they give out letters explaining what the benefits are? Room was small, airconditioning extremely noisy, door rattled when someone walked by. The only heating in the bathroom was a towel heating rail which was not sufficient. It gets cold in Edinburgh in the winter you know? Good points: lovely bathrobe and bedlinen; finally got a reply about breakfast and on our second day it was free; the public areas are beautiful.

Breakfast was ok; nothing special.

When I asked for a late checkout I was offered 12;30 until the supervisor heard I was a Diamond member and stepped in to sort it out. I am glad we used points for this stay. It is not worth the money. I would rather stay at the Hilton at the airport and get the bus in.

After reading my review again I was tempted to give them two stars but it was Hogmanay so I will leave it at three.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the castle may be tempting but you will get the noise from a busy road. The one...