Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
US$329
US$215
US$107
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$93
  • Restaurant
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$126
US$118
Agoda.com
4,079 results
All reviewspeacock alleycaley bargalvin brasserieguerlain spacastle viewbeautiful hotelend of princes streetfive star hotelturn down servicenespresso machinean upgradebirthday treatbeautiful roomhaggisroyal mileconciergedoorman
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stayed here many moons ago and was not too impressed. We usually stay at Missoni or Tiger Lily as we prefer a more modern style of hotel. However I was glad there was no availability at those hotels after our latest visit to the Caley.
We decided to come to Edinburgh for the Hogmanay party at short notice and booked a standard room. On arrival we were offered an upgrade for £60 (£30 per night) and what a great room it was with a terrific view of the Castle. This was brilliant for watching the fireworks at midnight.The room itself was spotless and although some of the antique furniture was showing signs of wear it did not spoil the room. Quite the opposite in fact.
The first night we ate in a restaurant just a few yards from the hotel up Lothian Road called Bar Frizzante and I would recommend lovers of Italian food to try this place. Its not too fancy and very reasonably priced. Needless to say the food is superb.
The second night we ate in the hotels Galvins Brassiere. To be honest this was the best meal I have eaten in a hotel since staying at the 4 Seasons in Hong Kong. Not too expensive either at £70 for 2 with wine.The breakfast on both mornings was very good too.
The hotel staff were superb, they seemed to have the right mix of being friendly and approachable whilst being very professional at the same time.
All in all he whole place seemed to be a lot better organised than the last time.
The Caledonian will now be my first choice when were staying in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: A room on Lothian Road for the view of the Castle
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It is always such a pleasure to receive such a complementary review, and I will be delighted to pass on your positive comments, especially to the team in our Galvin Brasserie De Luxe restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

I decided to bring my nan here for a Christmas away from home and we weren't disappointed. It's in a fantastic location (concierge dissuaded me from taking a taxi to some of our destinations as they were within walking distance even for me old nan). We had a deluxe twin room with a view and it was a stunning view (grandmother gasped). When we finished peering and peeking around I had a good flick through the channels and was somewhat disappointed at the quality of some of the stations (fuzzy and/or lines running across the screen), but not enough to gripe and moan as the room was full of nice little comforts (robe and slippers, anyone?) and a couple of big ones in the form of the excessively lovely beds. Slept VERY well. Naturally, I needed my wifi and again was a bit disappointed that I had to keep logging into it mid-browsing, which, for the price (quite high considering you can get it free in other places), I shouldn't have had to do. However, when I was on, it was relatively quick. We ordered room service on several occasions which was timely and well-presented, but I don't think quite measured up to the quality that might be served elsewhere in the hotel.

Speaking of food, we ate in Peacock Alley (The Brasserie and Pompadour weren't to our tastes) and not only was the room opulent and charming, but the food was tasty, our waiter, Ben, genuine and lovely, and the cocktails rather nice (nan's Jura Sling nearly had me rolling her to our room). Oh and since I mentioned Ben, I feel it necessary also to mention concierge staff Malcolm and Billy who made it a pleasure to enter and leave the hotel as we were always greeted, and they were very helpful (Malcolm tracked down kippers for grandmother lol) when we needed their services. Room service staff were also very nice. In fact, I would say that the overall care and amiability of the staff is one of the highlights of our stay. We did indulge in extras, namely room service, wi-fi, and having our inclusive breakfast brought to our room, and those do come with additional costs so if you're watching your pennies, don't be surprised that all the extras are going to cost extra. However, if you come to the Caledonian with the intention of treating yourself and/or others then it really is a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: if you can, spend a little extra on a room with a view. It really does add something to the experience.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. By all accounts, it appears to me that you and your Nan had a wonderful time with us! I appreciate the special mentions made for the team members who were particularly memorable whilst looking after you both. With regards to the cost of the wi-fi, I would like to make you aware that we are currently reviewing this poilicy, however I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

All in all, I think that your Nan would definitely like to return to the 'Caley', thereofore if you choose to do so, please contact me directly and I shall ensure that Ben has a Jura Sling prepared prior to arrival!

Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed when my family from America had arrived in Edinburgh. The room was very nice and large. It is well decorated and very clean. A large selection of complementary toiletries and coffees/teas are available. The only downside to my stay was the thermostat for the room was not working so we had standalone radiators put in place. We also had a woman next in the room next to us complaining that we were talking too loud at 9:30pm
The restaurants inside the Caledonian are very nice and to a high quality although a little pricy. There are many eateries outside and located on princes street. Many places to see and things to do as the Caledonian is very central.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Although you had an enjoyable time with us, I would like to apologise for the heating issue that you experienced within your bedroom. This is by no means the standard that we aim to provide our guests, and I can assure you that we have contacted an external engineer to investigate further.

Hopefully this does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

kind regards,

Reviewed 2 January 2013

The Caledonian is a beautiful hotel in a great location at the quieter end of Princes Street. We very much enjoyed our stay and while I would be happy to stay again, a few niggles would prompt me to give one of the other grand Edinburgh hotels a try rather than stay loyal to this one. This is a pity because as stated it is a lovely hotel and could be a great one with a little extra attention. Good points - friendly staff, beautiful public areas, spacious rooms, clean, lots of facilities and nice touches like the fantastic bathrobes NYE gifts. Niggles - being told that one couldn't have a glass of burgundy in Peacock Alley as "the bottle was finished", coming back on NYE with muddy boots and when pointing this out to the concierge, being met with a shrug rather than an offer of assistance, an unbooked wake up call on New Year's Day, overbearing "musak" in Peacock Alley and at breakfast (I can quite appreciate the staff get inured to this, but it is unnecessary) being charged an extra night's accommodation when presented with the final account, skimping on bathroom fittings - even in a junior suite it was a shower in bath job. I don't mean to be curmudgeonly because we did enjoy a pleasant stay but if only the hotel would deal with these silly issues it would become a must stay place in the City which is surely where it wants and deserves to be.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us over New Year. Although you were satisfied with your experience overall, I am disappointed to read that you had some niggling issues, and these small lapses in services shall certainly be flagged up to the relevant department heads.

In the meantime, I do hope that you choose the 'Caley' again next year should you choose to return to Edinburgh, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you require any assistance if you do so.

Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

Was a bit of a mix for a luxury hotel. Firstly the location surely must be the best of any hotel in Edinburgh, ideal for everything. It was a good waldorf hotel but I have stayed in better. We arrived early and were told the room wouldn't be ready till 3pm which was fine as that is normal check in time, we dropped our bags off with the concierge who stored them till we got back from the shops, however upon our return at 4:30pm we were told our room still wasn't ready. We were offered a complimentary cup of tea in peacock alley till it was ready but that shouldn't be the case in a 5* hotel. The room was nice enough with a castle view, unlike other reviews we had no problem with cold, noise or size. The breakfast was not bad, one day the food was lukewarm at best and the pastries were a bit hit and miss. Overall a nice stay but for me not upto the level I have experienced from WA in the past. The staff however were really very good, all very friendly and helpful with anything we needed,especially the concierge and doorman.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. There are certainly many positives to be found within your review, although you have mentioned the inability to check in on your arrival at the hotel. I realise that this was the case, mostly down the hotel being at full capacity throughout the period between Christmas and New Year. Never-the-less, I would like to offer my apologies for the inconvenience caused whilst you had to wait for your bedroom to become available.

I certainly the frustration that this would cause and I do hope that this experience does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.