“Surpassed our expectations”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #59 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with family for a family celebration. Booked 3 Deluxe rooms - and all 3 were upgraded, which was lovely. I had specifically chosen to book the deluxe as these are most recently refurbished.... All rooms were comfortable and finished to a high standard.

During our stay we ate in both main restaurants - the fine dining room was particularly excellent, food was exceptional and the staff were great. Ate in the second restaurant the following evening and were surprised to see that the restaurant was busy and buzzing. A rare thing for many hotel restaurants. Again good and service were very good.

I have to admit I had expected a less polished experience at this hotel - grand old hotels can often disappoint. But Waldorf has done a great job in this refurbishment.

I would suggest others considering this hotel to book and pay for a refurbished room, as I could imagine that the stay experience could differ.

Only slight disappointment - we used the pool, which is fine, but could be made to look a bit better, feels a little basic compared to the other facilities.

Overall - would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am grateful to hear your extremely positive comments, especially with regards to your experiences in our Galvin Brasserie De Luxe, and The Pompadour by Galvin. I agree that it is great to see the restaurants busy, and the atmosphere certainly has been buzzing within the hotel since the refurbishment was completed, long may it continue!

With regards to the decor of the swimming pool area, we do continue to make improvements throughout the building, therefore I appreciate your honest feedback and I shall share your opinions with our Guerlain Spa manager.

Chris Logan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,869)

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Went to Edinburgh on a weekend. As I was travelling from London reached Edinburgh quick early but when reached the hotel they were more that happy to check us in early. And the staff was very helpful. The room was very clean and up to the mark what we would expect from a Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Thankfully your trip from London appears to have passed with consummate ease, and I am delighted that we were able to assist in this smooth process.

Moreover, we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Stayed here last weekend overnight, we were upgraded to a deluxe queen room as we are HH points collectors. Room was small but comfortable enough, bathroom was lovely, but unfortunately the bath took ages to fill and the water was barely hot.
We had a couple of bottles of water in our room and a Nesspresso coffee machine - unfortunately you are supplied with 3 pods.....................and only huge mugs. I think they have got it wrong there, supply espresso cups or more pods........
A previous stay had us in a lovely room with a castle view this stay it was brick walls and a view into oeacock alley. Pretty uninspiring really
I really do not know why people are saying that this is a 5 star hotel, I can assure you it is not!!! It may be superficially grand but if you look closely its shoddy workmanship, awful mosaic tiling in the bathroom and poor toiletries.
The shower was as poor as the bath running - you really expect a 5 star shower to be pushing you against the wall not dribbling out tepid water.
And funnily enough like others we heard an alarm going off at 7.30am not really what you want on a sunday morning trip away without the kids now is it?
Breakfast really really really lets down the Caley, disgusting coffee weak and tasted like dishwater - poor seating capacity one member of staff walked us round the whole room looking for a table and another one said thanks enjoy your day I said we havent even had breakfast yet!!!!!! Toast was awful - only toasted on one side and cold, the fresh juice was a nice touch
where do I start on the buffet breakfast????? well firstly 5 star hotels should not have one!!! I prefer freshly cooked to order myself and hot.........not queuing up with everyone else coughing over the bacon or the watery looking scrambled eggs, I HATE cold buffet breakfasts that are supposed to be piping hot and I really dislike getting to the end of the line only to have to wait for more fried eggs meanwhile the lukewarm breakfast becomes stone cold not good at all.

Maybe its because we really have stayed in proper 5 star hotels that the Caley disappoints so much.
Location is excellent and most of the staff especially the doormen are lovely, but thats about it. It is unlikely that we will return given that there are so many other hotels in Edinburgh that cost less but give much better service. The Caley could be fantastic but things will have to change a lot before it is.
Such a shame really and its not a patch on the Apex Waterloo Place - where I will be staying on my trips from now on.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KettlesInverness

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria hotel. I am however bitterly disappointed that you have departed feeling less than satisfied with your overall experience. I agree with you that some of the issues mentioned are completely unacceptable, including the hot water problem, and I should you wish to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com.

I do hope that you will choose to return to the 'Caley', and enable us to regain your faith in our service.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

We were staying in a King Suite during the Christmas/New Year period. I lived and worked in Edinburgh before and every time I went past this hotel I couldn't stop admiring it... To me, it isn't just a 5-star, it is part of Edinburgh and part of its rich historic past. Now, I have done with my poetic moments... here is the review of the services:

Pros:
- Extremely welcoming concierge staff and doorman. I meant it as they were not only just polite and friendly, but they offered the genuine professionalism and warm feeling for a classic 5-star.
- Pretty room, elegant design. The hallway leading to it, is the most beautiful I have seen - full of historic elegance, I felt like I travelled back in time to be in an old castle.
- The Peacock Alley was a pleasure to have a traditional English afternoon tea or a cup of coffee in.
- The Pompadour offered great food and great service with an amazing view of the Edinburgh castle.

Cons:
- There were no toothbrushes in the bathroom. I rang up the reception for them, but only because I knew that was what they did at some Hilton hotels I previously stayed with. I think they could have put a notice out so that if/when customers need these, they can call reception.
- One pound per night was added to the room charge for a charity that they didn't even specify. They said they were happy to remove it at your request - but I doubt anyone would do that. However, to me this is more of a principle thing: First I should be at least notified what charity it is going to without having to ask and this should be an option to the customers with a selection of charities rather than a default donation. Second, if the hotel is dedicated to a charity genuinely, maybe they could consider taking a pound out per night from their profit to fund the charity rather than guilt trapping customers to it.

Overall, it lives up to its 5-star image with things that could have been done in a better way.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate all of your constructive feedback, and by all accounts, the outlets used have more than met your satisfaction. However, with regards to the availability of our toothbrushes, these are available on request from our housekeeping department. Moreover, we choose not to place in our bedrooms as the majority of our guests prefer to use their own personal toothbrush. Additionally, although the £1.00 charity donation mentioned is purely on our guest bills on a discretionary basis, I shall certainly share your views with my general manager for her perusal.

Finally, I do hope that the 'cons' described in your review do not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

The check in was easy, room was small but nice, toiletries in toilet were half empty and not changed, also when i was with my other half on the bed just watching TV someone just barged into the room and said "oh sorry, the mini bar is missing this" and walks out, no knock no nothing, so much for privacy! don't think its the Waldorf standard should just be a normal Hilton, over priced for what you get, but the location was good, check out was easy but wouldn't waste my money here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Phoebe H

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It is with regret however to read of your disappointment with your overall experience. With regards to being disturbed by a team member attempting to stock your mini bar, I would like to ensure you that we have procedures in place with regards to the etiquette for entering bedrooms, and we have obviously failed on this occasion. Therefore, I can confirm that I have spoken with our food & beverage manager directly, and rest assured the relevant follow up shall be taken.

Once again, I am sorry to hear that you would not return, although I would appreciate if you would stay at the 'Caley' again in order for us to regain your faith in our property. Should you wish to do so, please contact me directly at chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Staff very friendly new loads about the history's of this fascinating building. Well worth a visit, ask to hear the sorry of clock and why there is a huge peacock, this history is fascinating. The pompadour room is stunning the walls are covered in nearly 100 year old painting, such s lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sally I

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to the Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria hotel. I am delighted that you were able to sample some of the history steeped in the hotel, and it would appear that like most of our visitors, the Peacock Alley area of the hotel has made a great impression on you.

Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Recently visited there for afternoon tea in the company of my wife, her mother who was celebrating her eightieth birthday and an elderly aunt. On arrival the doorman on duty was very kind, helpful and attentive to my elderly guests and assisted with parking my car near to the doorway before personally escorting my relatives inside..
The afternoon tea was plentiful and delicious and the service by all staff was of the highest standard. None could have been more helpful or friendly. our table had birthday decorations on same and staff produced a small cake with a candle which delighted my mother in law.
The surroundings and indeed the whole experience was absolutely first class and in my opinion the staff concerned are the best I have experienced in any hotel visit I have made.
I would recommend the afternoon tea at this hotel to anyone and found this excellent value
I did not stay at the premises but will be doing so in the near future after this visit

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank croftheadbob
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your Afternoon Tea experience with us. I appreciate your wonderful feedback, and I am delighted that we were able to assist in enhancing your birthday celebrations.

Furthermore, I do hope that you return to Peacock Alley in the near future.