“Cant fault it”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel during a recent four day business trip and I was really impressed, the hotel has been beautifully re-furbished and the staff couldn't be more attentive. The decor has a unique feel to it and doesn't feel like the usual 'chain' style hotel. The chef at breakfast was friendly, chatty and happy to cook whatever wasn't already laid out ( which didn't leave much!). The lounge area was bright and calming with lovely decor. I would happily stay here again whether for business or personal.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your kind words of praise with regards to your overall experience, and I am certain that you will return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

This is a wonderful hotel and the staff, breakfast and location is all 5 STAR.

The Calley bar is excellent too.

The room was large but annoying that we couldn't control the lighting to our satisfaction. For example, my son was in the room entrance area working on his computer and my husband at the desk in the room on his. In order to have the lights on where my son was, the ceiling light in the main area of the room also had to be on, which is a small issue, but did bug me. We did try every light switch and control combination.

The other small issue was the bathroom was a bit cold and we couldn't get it any warmer.

It is a bit pricey, but I would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We were in a double on the 3rd floor with two double beds and our room was quite large.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Although I am happy to hear that you will return to the 'Caley' in the future, I am slightly concerned of the lighting issue experienced within your bedroom. Rest assured I shall investigate the matter further, and I appreciate your thoughts.

We look forward to your return in the hopefully not so distant future.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

We had a lovely 6 night stay at room 236 from Feb 6 to Feb 11 in 2013. Before the 24 million pounds renovation, it was operated under the Hilton brand. The Hotel is situated at the end of Princess Street, Edinburgh’s main thoroughfare. Airport bus and City Sightseeing Hop on Hop off bus also stop right next to the hotel. A 15 walk will take you to Waverly station, where you can catch train to Glasgow for a day trip. It only takes around 54 minutes. There are many restaurants around the hotel, to suit all type of tastes and budget. The room we had was very large, with stunning view of the Edinburgh Castle. The bathtub is the largest I had ever seen. The hotel has a grand style throughout, the Peacock lounge is elegant, a very relaxing place to have a drink or two. We also had breakfast at the hotel main restaurant, which offers a wide range of high quality hot and cold food. Staff were very attentive. We did not try their dinner menu but I believe their dinner offerings are also very good.

The concierges, Thomas, Salvador and the team are very helpful, assisting us for tour booking etc. The front desk staff, Sibone and the rest the team were very efficient for check in and check out. Doorman Neil was very cheerful, told us many interesting local tales.

The hotel health centre includes a nice gym, which splits over two levels, an indoor pool, steam room and sauna. The Caledonia is an iconic and upscale market property, although the rates are normally higher than those charged by most of the hotels in the city, it is worth for what you paid for. However, there is one suggestion I wish to make, it is the window. Due to its location, the windows should be double glazed. Traffic noise from outside the hotel could get one very annoyed, even after midnight. Many UK and European hotels we stayed all have standard double glazed windows. If you are light sleeper, perhaps it is a good idea to request a room facing the inner courtyard.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank BirdPinoTrollFin

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. From the location of the hotel, to the service, I am delighted to see that we exceeded your expectations in all aspects. Moreover, it will give me great pleasure to share your feedback with the relevant team members as mentioned.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' in the future.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

Stayed here for a night for a work conference. The room was nice, if not a little small. I've stayed in Radisson hotels with more amenities and cost half the price. The breakfast was amazing however, and that was really its saving grace for me.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately however, your expectations have not been exceeded as we aim to do, and it is with regret to hear that your preference is with one of our competitors with the exception of the breakfast facility.

Moreover, I do hope that you will choose to return to the 'Caley' again in the future should you re-visit Edinburgh.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

A new era in hotel service has arrived. Located in the heart of Edinburgh The Caledonian has recently opened its doors to the new branding " Waldorf Astoria " offering an exemplary high level of service rarely seen today.

On arrival by car ( not easy with all the tram works !! ) the door man took my keys and duly showed us to the reception where we were efficiently and quickly checked-in and upgraded to non less than the Robert Louis Stevenson Suite. Amazing castle views both day and night from the relaxing lounge and from the huge bedroom.

The hotel still retains its lovely old world charm but now with that little extra " chic ". This is especially seen in the Peacock Alley, a very relaxing lounge/bar, serving the old fashioned true Scottish afternoon tea...we had an amazing bottle of Fiano and some exellent light bites. The Caley Bar, an evening venue is especially good for a little night cap while people watching !!

Breakfast was served in the Brasserie de Luxe, true Hilton style, but made better by the excellent happy smiling staff seeing to everyone's demands with such efficiency. I must add each and every member of staff were so welcoming, always time for a chat and checking that everything was ok but always with a SMILE !!

Edinburgh can be a very tiring city so at The Caledonian you have the chance to retreat to the newly opened Guerlian Beauty Spa, in their words.."truly united with luxury emotion and sensuality" to enjoy a dip in the luxurious pool or just relax in the steam room, sauna or jacuzzi. I don't think on all my travels have I ever worn such a luxurious bath robe...infact I so so wanted to take it home as a keep sake !! (note I did not !!)

In conclussion, don't waist any more time reading my report, instead go onto www.hilton.com and book The Caledonian for yourself...ENJOY !!

A nice little touch on arrival was complimentary vouchers for a drink each in the Caley Bar. The only thing missing was an Executive Lounge but perhaps this is still due to be done.

Room Tip: The Caledonian Suites have amazing views of the Castle, but there is traffic noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am extremely pleased to read of your approval of the finished refurbishment works. Indeed the hotel has maintained its historic feel, along with the wonderful changes such as Peacock Alley, and thankfully you were able to make full use of the majority of our facilities. I have no doubt that you will return to the 'Caley again in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with family for a family celebration. Booked 3 Deluxe rooms - and all 3 were upgraded, which was lovely. I had specifically chosen to book the deluxe as these are most recently refurbished.... All rooms were comfortable and finished to a high standard.

During our stay we ate in both main restaurants - the fine dining room was particularly excellent, food was exceptional and the staff were great. Ate in the second restaurant the following evening and were surprised to see that the restaurant was busy and buzzing. A rare thing for many hotel restaurants. Again good and service were very good.

I have to admit I had expected a less polished experience at this hotel - grand old hotels can often disappoint. But Waldorf has done a great job in this refurbishment.

I would suggest others considering this hotel to book and pay for a refurbished room, as I could imagine that the stay experience could differ.

Only slight disappointment - we used the pool, which is fine, but could be made to look a bit better, feels a little basic compared to the other facilities.

Overall - would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am grateful to hear your extremely positive comments, especially with regards to your experiences in our Galvin Brasserie De Luxe, and The Pompadour by Galvin. I agree that it is great to see the restaurants busy, and the atmosphere certainly has been buzzing within the hotel since the refurbishment was completed, long may it continue!

With regards to the decor of the swimming pool area, we do continue to make improvements throughout the building, therefore I appreciate your honest feedback and I shall share your opinions with our Guerlain Spa manager.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Went to Edinburgh on a weekend. As I was travelling from London reached Edinburgh quick early but when reached the hotel they were more that happy to check us in early. And the staff was very helpful. The room was very clean and up to the mark what we would expect from a Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Thankfully your trip from London appears to have passed with consummate ease, and I am delighted that we were able to assist in this smooth process.

Moreover, we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.