Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Pool
4,026 results
All reviewspeacock alleycaley bargalvin brasserieguerlain spacastle viewbeautiful hotelend of princes streetfive star hotelturn down servicenespresso machinean upgradebirthday treatbeautiful roomhaggisroyal mileconciergedoorman
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We took advantage of a 'special offer' to spend 2 nights in Edinburgh.

Our room was on the fourth floor at the furthest end of the corridor overlooking the car park. Obviously 'special' is not special at all. We were disappointed especially as the bedroom had a 'stepped' floor which makes leaving one's bed in the dark a hazard. The food was good as was the public area.
My advice would be not to stay but to take advantage of the foyer for afternoon tea.
Acid test - would I go back? No.

Room Tip: Avoid the fourth floor overlooking the car park - ask for the rooms which look onto the castle
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScottishVoyageur
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Unfortunately however, we have fallen below your expectations due to the bedroom which was allocated for the duration of your stay. Having such a heritage property has its challenges as we have so many room types due to the age and shape of the building. I must admit that the majority of our guests understand and appreciate this as this adds character to the building. However, I do apologise if this is not case in this instance, and hopefully this does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Efficient check in and all areas of the hotel are looking great following the rebrand to Waldorf Astoria, as a Hilton Honors Gold Member I enjoyed an upgrade to Deluxe King guest room, superb room, ...no complaints here.

I had asked a few members of my family to join me for cocktails in Peacock Alley (as we where heading out for a late lunch at one of the citys reputable fine dining restaurants...PS Galvin Brasserie here is great and have used it for entertaining a number of my clients in the past!) On arrival I felt the host t be somewhat curt and less than warm and welcoming stating that the whole areas was fully booked and there was nothing she could do (Sunday 17th March). I had stated to reservations ahead of arrival that I had wanted to book a table for cocktails and was advised that it wasn't necessary. To be honest we did eventually get a table but it wasn't without being more firm and bullish with the host in question, I was somewhat taken aback by her lack of willingness especially as I was a hotel guest, and bizarrely for the hour and a half we where there there were ample tables unoccupied. Room service breakfast was great, well presented and check out efficient if not lacking a little warmth ( Hilton Glasgow are a good one to learn from!!) All in all a good stay, good product and I ill be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JonnyEdinburgh

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. All in all, happily you have had a great experience with us. However, I would like to apologise for the issue of poor communication based on your experience in Peacock Alley. Peacock Alley is our flagship area within the hotel, therefore we cannot comprehend any service problems, and I have shared your feedback with Marco Pinto, our food & beverage manager.

On the other hand, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us overall, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

This was a late booking for a last minute weekend break in Edinburgh - we expected comfort from the Waldorf Astoria brand and it certainly did not disappoint. Check in was smooth and efficient. the room spacious. beautifully furnished and decorated and offered a great view of the castle. Breakfast was everything that you would expect from a first class hotel and rounded-off a very comfortable and enjoyable weekend stay. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you found the perfect location in our property, and appreciate your positive remarks on your arrival and breakfast experience.

Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

5 of us stayed here for the night. The beds were amazing so was the bathrobe i could have slept in it all night. We had a very spacious room lovely decor and the breakfast was amazing. two of our party stayed two nights and had a meal in the hotel on the Friday evening they had the set menu which was £28.50 and were very impressed. Will definately be back and might even try the resturant for a meal one weekend very impressed.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you and your party have departed feeling more than satisfied with your overall experience, including the meal enjoyed in our Galvin Brasserie De Luxe.

I will be more than happy to meet you when you return to the 'Caley' in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed at the Caledonian with my Husband and 9 month old baby over a weekend in March. We were lucky enough to win the 2 night stay in a competition.
Location was at the 'quiet' end of Princes Street but it was a lovely 10-15 minute walk to the busy end. The castle was a 10 minute walk but would have been easier if we didn't have a pram as it was all cobbles.
We stayed in a deluxe queen room and it was the height of luxury. Really large room with a hallway and fabulous bathroom. It was the little touches that made it feel luxurious such as the bathrobes, nespresso machine and luxury toiletries.
We had breakfast included and it was really wonderful. Lots of choice both hot and continental. A selection of pastries, bread, cheeses, yoghurts, smoked salmon for the continental options. Sausages, potato cakes, scrambled and fried eggs, back and streaky bacon haggis and black pudding, porridge on the hot menu. They also had an al a carte breakfast menu with things like eggs benedict. There was only 3 other parties at breakfast and the staff were very attentive, checking that the breakfast was fresh and taking away food that had been out too long.
The staff were wonderful and concierge were very helpful and knowledgable about the area. I had worried about taking a baby to such a nice place, but the staff couldn't be more helpful and we were made to feel very welcome.
The swimming pool and sauna area were simple but very clean and nice. Didn't get a chance to use the full spa facilities for treatments but it looked very nice.
We had drinks in Peacock alley and the prices were very reasonable. I had cocktails whilst my husband stuck to beer. They brought some nibbles such as olives and sundried tomatoes. a very nice touch. Afternoon tea looked lovely and very popular.
We did have a problem in the room as there was no hot water. The handyman came in less than 5 minutes and solved the problem so I couldn't complain but its a problem that I wouldn't expect in a 5 star hotel. Apparently it was because we were the only people on the floor and the pipes needed heating up! Apart from this it was an excellent stay. If I had paid for the room I would have been happy as the rates were in line with the quality of the services. A Wonderful break highly recomended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank chezabelleuk

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It delights me to read of your 'wonderful luxurious break', as this is definitely the impression that we aim to provide our guests! You have mentioned our facilities including our fantastic Guerlain Spa, and our picturesque Peacock Alley area, all extremely popular with our visitors and obviously with you and your husband!

We look forward to welcoming you both back to the 'Caley' in the future.