The Peacock Alley was beautiful and is a massive improvement on the old room used to serve afternoon tea. The food however was quite disappointing. The sandwiches were uninspiring and I had advised when I called that I do not eat red meat however no alternative was offered in place of the ham sandwich.
The cakes are the bit that I look forward to most in an Afternoon tea and we had gone for the special cakes. I previously had the normal cakes and have to say that I found them nicer than the 'special cakes'. The salted caramel eclair was particularly disappointing as the cream was full of sugar and the caramel did not taste particularly salted making the whole thing far too sweet.
The staff were very pleasant however the lady who served us was extremely forgetful and we had to constantly remind her of things we had asked for.
Overall, the beautiful setting does not make up for the mediocre food and slightly ditzy staff. The balmoral is still my firm favourite.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, or the "Caley" as it has become affectionately known among Edinburgh folk, was and still is the epitome of style and excellence. The large, rose-coloured Permian sandstone facade, quarried in Dumfries, dominates the skyline of the city's west end. The hotel has not only remained a focal point for more than one hundred years, but a symbol of the very best of Scottish hospitality. The Caley's pivotal position at the very heart of Edinburgh has always been its greatest asset. Created out of the 19th century railway boom, the five star hotel is looking to the future with confidence and pride in its ability to keep pace with the times. The hotel's reputation is as justified now as it was when the hotel first opened its doors in 1903. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton International Edinburgh
- Hilton Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hilton
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian Scotland