“Stunning setting but disappointing food!”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #54 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Stunning setting but disappointing food!”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The Peacock Alley was beautiful and is a massive improvement on the old room used to serve afternoon tea. The food however was quite disappointing. The sandwiches were uninspiring and I had advised when I called that I do not eat red meat however no alternative was offered in place of the ham sandwich.
The cakes are the bit that I look forward to most in an Afternoon tea and we had gone for the special cakes. I previously had the normal cakes and have to say that I found them nicer than the 'special cakes'. The salted caramel eclair was particularly disappointing as the cream was full of sugar and the caramel did not taste particularly salted making the whole thing far too sweet.
The staff were very pleasant however the lady who served us was extremely forgetful and we had to constantly remind her of things we had asked for.
Overall, the beautiful setting does not make up for the mediocre food and slightly ditzy staff. The balmoral is still my firm favourite.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank SusanandAlan4
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent Afternoon Tea experience with us. I appreciate your constructive feedback, and although I am happy with your verdict with regards to the decor and design of our wonderful Peacock Alley area, it deeply disappoints me to read the negativity on the product. I must admit that I receive very few poor comments due to the quality of our Afternoon Tea, I can assure you that our Food & Beverage Manager, and Chef have been advised of your observations, and we shall certainly review our 'special cakes', as well as the standard of service which we provide.

Moreover, once again, I thank you for your feedback, and I do hope that this poor experience does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Chris Logan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Location of the hotel is perfect, not too far from the airport~about 20mins taxi ride and walking distance to the Edinburgh Castle. We spent 2 days at the hotel, nice walk from the hotel to the castle, Royal Mile. The only regret is the road work outside the hotel.....

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us, and I am sure that the road works shall be completed should you be returning to the 'Caley' in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

i have kept meaning to write my review here to say how lovely it was. We stayed here over the Easter weekend and we had such a lovely time.
When we arrived our room was stunning, a beautiful suite almost with plenty of room for us and a little bed for our four year old. The only trouble was there was no bath and as we were staying for four days we felt we needed a bath. We were moved with absolutely no trouble at all and the next room was just as gorgeous although a little smaller. The rooms are well decorated, good quality and clean. My husband said it was one of the comfiest beds and pillows he has had a hotel!
The staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble, the spa was great although the swimming pool is too small to service whole hotel but minor issue really.
We ate in the brasserie for dinner which was lovely and great service, the bars for snacks again nice and the breakfast was great with plenty of options.
Location wise we felt it was ideal we walked around all day sightseeing and nearby for buses out of town, and great for restaurants in the evening.
We would definitely stay here again, if they keep on top of the service, quality and cleanliness it would be a great hotel to stay for years to come.

Room Tip: If a bath is important you may want to check upon booking not all the King Size rooms have then
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us over the Easter period. I am, as always extremely thankful for your feedback, and delighted by the postive comments posted. I am also pleased that we were able to allocate a bedroom with a bath to enable you to relax, and I appreciate your kind remarks on the team members who looked after you and your family throughout the duration of your stay.

Moreover, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I stayed at The Caledonian for an overnight with my partner. We arrived earlier than the 3pm check in time. The concierge took our bags and offered to call us when our room was ready. Our room a Deluxe Queen Room was absolutely stunning, walking through a small hallway in to a large bright and airy room, attention to detail has been paid and the extra touches in the room such as a coffee machine make the difference. The room didn't have the best of views but the room it's self made up for it. We went for drinks in the Peacock Alley bar, staff were very friendly and the drinks were superb. We both had coffees with probably the best shortbread I have ever tasted. Breakfast was brilliant, with a wide variety of food. My only issue was the table we were seated at, was rather wonky and you couldn't lean on the table for fear of tipping it over. Overall the stay was brief but very enjoyable and I will be back there again.

• Stayed May 2013
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that we were able to assist in making your stay pleasurable for you and your partner. I am also happy to hear that you were able to make the most of the facilities included throughout the building, including our wonderful Peacock Alley.... I shall certainly share your feedback with regards to the taste of the shortbread to our pastry chef!

Moreover, we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 May 2013

high price. no free wireless internet access and the daily charge for internet usage was outrageous. .needs updating. denied breakasts though they were included in the package we purchased. needs updated decor. has a tired look. restaurant prices were unreasonably high. would not stay here again. there are more reasonably priced modern options available.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank alan6668
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Caledonian twice in the past two months and on both occasions I was delighted with the impeccable service and facilities that the hotel has to offer. The staff are friendly, helpful and more than willing to go the extra mile. The rooms are well appointed and the beds are extremely comfortable. The only reason I wouldn't give the Caledonian a full five stars is due to the poor quality of the wireless Internet connection, presumably due to the thick walls of the historic building. This would not normally be that much of an issue, but at 15 pounds per day,one would expect a more stable connection.

I will definitely stay at the Caledonian again and look forward to doing so.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gordy B
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It has been our pleasure looking after you on both occasions during your visit to Edinburgh, and I am delighted to hear of the impeccable service which you received.

Moreover, I am certain that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We stayed for a friend’s birthday, it was very busy and there were no tables in Peacock Alley, filled up with folk for afternoon tea. We went into the bar to watch the rugby and had some food - huge portions!
Our rooms were on the top floor, clean and nicely appointed but I did manage to bang my head on the coombed ceiling while trying to work out what pods were supplied for the coffee machine.
The car park was full but there is an NCP carpark nearby. Check in was fairly quick considering how busy the hotel was (Welsh rugby weekend) we opted for the express check out.
I have only given it a 4 since the carparking was a hassle and it was raining but that’s Edinburgh for you and for the difficulty in reading the coffee selection/head banging on the coomb!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sconey
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Overall, an extremely positive review, and I am delighted that you were able to join us for the rugby weekend. As mentioned, the hotel was indeed full throughout, creating a wonderful atmosphere; therefore the car park for the hotel was full. I hope that this did not cause too much inconvenience, and that you will return to the 'Caley' again in the future.