“A five star hotel room with a sliding bathroom door?”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I was looking forward to my stay here. I've stayed in other 5 star hotels in Edinburgh and wanted to give the Caledonian a shot to see how it compared. I'm afraid the short answer is it didn't.

Here's the long answer: I had booked a classic room which is the entry level room. But still, if I'm staying in a 5 star hotel, I don't expect the bathroom to have a sliding door. This was clearly done because there was not enough room in the bathroom for a door to swing open without bashing someone at the sink or who was trying to get in the shower. And of course, it was just a shower, but no bath. On the plus side, the decor in the bathroom was very nice, the toiletries - Salvatore Ferragamo - swish.

The room itself was very small. It had the smallest double bed I think I've ever seen. Despite this, that left little space for much else. When I ordered a room service dinner - which was very good by the way - the only place where the room service guy could put the tray was on a narrow table against the wall directly underneath the TV which was on the wall above. Unless I tilted my head all the way back looking up to the ceiling, I couldn't see the TV if I was to sit there. So I ended up moving the tray on to the bed and sitting on a chair pulled up hard to the side of the bed - my legs with nowhere to go, splayed out either side as a I bent forward to eat my dinner off the plate which was sitting on the duvet. Also the air con rattled, so I eventually just turned it off.

Wandering round the hotel, the main areas are extremely well done (but the Brasserie smelt a bit of drains - hence the room service).

Beware also if you're planning to do room service breakfast and you have booked Bed and Breakfast. Not only are you charged £5 tray charge, an increasingly common and annoying addition to room service bills, but also £6 on top. So a whopping £11 on to your bill....

To end on a positive, the bathrobe was perhaps the nicest I've ever had on.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Zippitydoodah
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It is with regret however to read of your negative perspective with regards to the bedroom which was allocated for you. As you have stated, a classic room was booked, therefore you we located in one of our newly refurbished classic bedrooms, completed only in September last year. I must advise that generally the feedback on these bedrooms (including the bathroom) has been of a positive nature, however I appreciate all views are subjective, and I have relayed this information to the relevant departments.

Furthermore, I would also be disappointed if this was to deter you from returning to the 'Caley' in the future, as you have also mentioned some exceptional products we offer, including the Salvatore Ferragamo bathroom amenities, and our famous bathrobes!

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stopped her in March 2013 and it is now the hotel that we rate all other hotels against in Scotland!! Located in the heart of Edinburgh you have easy access to all the attractions and local drinking establishments. Everything in the hotel was perfect - the room was a good size and beautifully decorated and well maintained. The room was spotlessly clean, not one speck of dust - I would imagine that the cleaner had OCD as when we came back to the room our toiletries had been organised on a towel in the bathroom into size order and all pointing forwards. Great big shower with oversized head for a good drenching. The spa is a good size for a city hotel, again it was spotless and it was great looking out over the castle whilst having a swim. We ate in the Galvin Brasserie which produced high quality food and is highly recommended. Without a doubt this is the hotel we will return to when next in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: All are good!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us in March. By all accounts, it appears that you had a wonderful time in Edinburgh, and I am delighted that the 'Caley' ticked all the boxes for your accommodation, from the location to the Guerlain Spa facilities! I must also give a special 'thanks' for your observations on the cleanliness throughout the hotel, as we do pride ourselves in our high standard of presentation, and I have shared your feedback with our Executive Housekeeper.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We had a booking at Hilton Grosvenor Hotel but when we arrived there we were informed that they were overbooked for that night. They managed to find us a room at The Caledonian which was very good because both the location and the hotel are much better.
The staff are very nice and friendly. Daniel was very helpful and is always great to find someone who speaks Portuguese!
However, considering all the amenities offered by the hotel, I think they should definitely consider offering complimentary Wi-Fi on all guest rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and I agree that the location of the hotel is extremely favourable.

I must also advise that we are taking into consideration, your comments with regards to offering complimentary Wi-Fi in our bedrooms, although we do have this facility in all public areas within the hotel. Furthermore, I do hope that the 'Caley' is your preferred choice for any future visits to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

The Peacock Alley was beautiful and is a massive improvement on the old room used to serve afternoon tea. The food however was quite disappointing. The sandwiches were uninspiring and I had advised when I called that I do not eat red meat however no alternative was offered in place of the ham sandwich.
The cakes are the bit that I look forward to most in an Afternoon tea and we had gone for the special cakes. I previously had the normal cakes and have to say that I found them nicer than the 'special cakes'. The salted caramel eclair was particularly disappointing as the cream was full of sugar and the caramel did not taste particularly salted making the whole thing far too sweet.
The staff were very pleasant however the lady who served us was extremely forgetful and we had to constantly remind her of things we had asked for.
Overall, the beautiful setting does not make up for the mediocre food and slightly ditzy staff. The balmoral is still my firm favourite.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank SusanandAlan4

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent Afternoon Tea experience with us. I appreciate your constructive feedback, and although I am happy with your verdict with regards to the decor and design of our wonderful Peacock Alley area, it deeply disappoints me to read the negativity on the product. I must admit that I receive very few poor comments due to the quality of our Afternoon Tea, I can assure you that our Food & Beverage Manager, and Chef have been advised of your observations, and we shall certainly review our 'special cakes', as well as the standard of service which we provide.

Moreover, once again, I thank you for your feedback, and I do hope that this poor experience does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Location of the hotel is perfect, not too far from the airport~about 20mins taxi ride and walking distance to the Edinburgh Castle. We spent 2 days at the hotel, nice walk from the hotel to the castle, Royal Mile. The only regret is the road work outside the hotel.....

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us, and I am sure that the road works shall be completed should you be returning to the 'Caley' in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

i have kept meaning to write my review here to say how lovely it was. We stayed here over the Easter weekend and we had such a lovely time.
When we arrived our room was stunning, a beautiful suite almost with plenty of room for us and a little bed for our four year old. The only trouble was there was no bath and as we were staying for four days we felt we needed a bath. We were moved with absolutely no trouble at all and the next room was just as gorgeous although a little smaller. The rooms are well decorated, good quality and clean. My husband said it was one of the comfiest beds and pillows he has had a hotel!
The staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble, the spa was great although the swimming pool is too small to service whole hotel but minor issue really.
We ate in the brasserie for dinner which was lovely and great service, the bars for snacks again nice and the breakfast was great with plenty of options.
Location wise we felt it was ideal we walked around all day sightseeing and nearby for buses out of town, and great for restaurants in the evening.
We would definitely stay here again, if they keep on top of the service, quality and cleanliness it would be a great hotel to stay for years to come.

Room Tip: If a bath is important you may want to check upon booking not all the King Size rooms have then
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us over the Easter period. I am, as always extremely thankful for your feedback, and delighted by the postive comments posted. I am also pleased that we were able to allocate a bedroom with a bath to enable you to relax, and I appreciate your kind remarks on the team members who looked after you and your family throughout the duration of your stay.

Moreover, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I stayed at The Caledonian for an overnight with my partner. We arrived earlier than the 3pm check in time. The concierge took our bags and offered to call us when our room was ready. Our room a Deluxe Queen Room was absolutely stunning, walking through a small hallway in to a large bright and airy room, attention to detail has been paid and the extra touches in the room such as a coffee machine make the difference. The room didn't have the best of views but the room it's self made up for it. We went for drinks in the Peacock Alley bar, staff were very friendly and the drinks were superb. We both had coffees with probably the best shortbread I have ever tasted. Breakfast was brilliant, with a wide variety of food. My only issue was the table we were seated at, was rather wonky and you couldn't lean on the table for fear of tipping it over. Overall the stay was brief but very enjoyable and I will be back there again.

• Stayed: May 2013
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that we were able to assist in making your stay pleasurable for you and your partner. I am also happy to hear that you were able to make the most of the facilities included throughout the building, including our wonderful Peacock Alley.... I shall certainly share your feedback with regards to the taste of the shortbread to our pastry chef!

Moreover, we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.