Our family had 2 rooms for 3 nights (superior with 2 beds castle view, and a superior with a king bed castle view).
The hotel is very large and historic, but nicely renovated, and decorated. The rooms were clean, bright, and pleasant, with comfortable beds. The castle view is great, but there is some early morning street noise due to bus traffic, as it is a busy downtown area. This was not a big problem though.
We had the breakfast rate. The buffet breakfast was very good, with lots of choice...too much to try everything, so there is something for everyone. Great service.
Our kids enjoyed the large pool and hot tub which was open until 10pm every day.
The location is very good at the corner of Princess and Lothian. From the airport, it is a 20min taxi ride (18 pounds) or a 30min Airlink bus ride (3.5 pounds). It is a 15min walk (or 5min by taxi) from Waverley Rail Station. There is limited parking behind the hotel on the hotel's lot, or free street parking between 6:30pm and 8:30am on Rutland St or Rutland Square (behind the hotel), otherwise you have to pay at the machine and display your ticket.
It is a 15 minute walk up to the castle and the Royal Mile. Ask the staff for the shortest route to walk up. There is a Marks & Spencer Simply Food grocery store on Princess, just a 7 minute walk.
Overall, this was a very good choice for exploring Edinburgh and area.
Enjoy your trip
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, or the "Caley" as it has become affectionately known among Edinburgh folk, was and still is the epitome of style and excellence. The large, rose-coloured Permian sandstone facade, quarried in Dumfries, dominates the skyline of the city's west end. The hotel has not only remained a focal point for more than one hundred years, but a symbol of the very best of Scottish hospitality. The Caley's pivotal position at the very heart of Edinburgh has always been its greatest asset. Created out of the 19th century railway boom, the five star hotel is looking to the future with confidence and pride in its ability to keep pace with the times. The hotel's reputation is as justified now as it was when the hotel first opened its doors in 1903. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton International Edinburgh
- Hilton Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hilton
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian Scotland