“Outstanding”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 July 2013

On a five-city, three-country European vacation, Edinburgh was by far our favorite spot and The Caledonian our favorite hotel. In fact it was one of my favorite hotels of all time, anywhere. It is beautiful and historic. The staff is attentive and friendly, the bartenders are great fun (and a wealth of information), the workout facilities are excellent (especially by European standards), and the location is great. We could not have asked for more and we would definitely go back. In fact, we had such a great time in Scotland that we plan to go back. I did not rate the value because we used points for our stay, and I did not rate the kids activities because we were traveling with only adult family members. The only reason I did not rate the spa all the way at the top was because the (very nice) steam room was co-ed and in a common area rather than in the men's locker room.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad room in the place, but we had a high floor on the end of a hall and it had h...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Chicago_Mr_B_645,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I cannot thank you enough for your glowing remarks, and I am delighted to hear that you rate Edinburgh as your favourite city from your trip. Moreover, as you have mentioned, the location of the hotel is a huge advantage for the hotel, and I do hope that you and your family will be able to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Visited Edinburgh for a wedding, and was most pleased with the Caledonian. The rooms were luxurious, the staff friendly, welcoming, and eager to be of assistance. The location is ideal, and the views of the castle are amazing - if you are lucky enough to get a roon with a view. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Lori K,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your wonderful comments on your overall experience, and I agree that the views of the castle certainly are amazing.

Hopefully you will be able to return to the 'Caley' again in the future enjoy again.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed there with my family at the end of June. Hotel is in a great location close to everything. Rooms are reasonably luxurious for old hotel with nice high ceilings. Facililities including lounge and fitness area match the 5-star rating.
However, service was not what I'd expect from a 5-star because of several issues. Prior to arriving, I replied to one of the e-mails welcoming me to the hotel to indicate that one of my daughters would be arriving several hours earlier than the rest of the family and to use my credit card on file if required (as I was using points for several nights and had paid in advance for the other nights). However, these instructions never made it to the front desk and instead they put through a couple 100 pound transactions on my daughters Visa card when she checked in early. It wasn't until a week later that we noticed these transactions has not been reversed in spite of the fact that everything was pre-paid. It then took a couple e-mails back to the hotel to acknowledge that these should be reversed but it has now been several weeks and the transactions have not been cleared. A bit disappointing to be chasing after spurious credit card charges from a 5-star (it is actually the first time it has happened with any hotel ever).

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear wvantrav,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Although you have expressed your appreciation on our wonderful facilities here as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel, I am concerned to learn of the poor communication issues mentioned. Moreover, I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me directly via chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com, and I shall investigate the matter further with the relevant team members and act accordingly.

I would like to pass on my sincere apologies for the obvious inconvenience caused, and I do hope that this lapse in service does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

This hotel provides everything you would want from a 5 star hotel. Excellent city centre location. Visits always made a pleasure by the friendly and helpful staff, including the reception staff, room service and concierges.

Room Tip: Ask for a caslte view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I must extend my gratitude for your wonderful comments, as 'one of the best hotels ever!' Moreover, I will be delighted to share your feedback with the relevant team members, including those mentioned from reception, room service and concierge.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Our family had 2 rooms for 3 nights (superior with 2 beds castle view, and a superior with a king bed castle view).

The hotel is very large and historic, but nicely renovated, and decorated. The rooms were clean, bright, and pleasant, with comfortable beds. The castle view is great, but there is some early morning street noise due to bus traffic, as it is a busy downtown area. This was not a big problem though.

We had the breakfast rate. The buffet breakfast was very good, with lots of choice...too much to try everything, so there is something for everyone. Great service.

Our kids enjoyed the large pool and hot tub which was open until 10pm every day.

The location is very good at the corner of Princess and Lothian. From the airport, it is a 20min taxi ride (18 pounds) or a 30min Airlink bus ride (3.5 pounds). It is a 15min walk (or 5min by taxi) from Waverley Rail Station. There is limited parking behind the hotel on the hotel's lot, or free street parking between 6:30pm and 8:30am on Rutland St or Rutland Square (behind the hotel), otherwise you have to pay at the machine and display your ticket.
It is a 15 minute walk up to the castle and the Royal Mile. Ask the staff for the shortest route to walk up. There is a Marks & Spencer Simply Food grocery store on Princess, just a 7 minute walk.

Overall, this was a very good choice for exploring Edinburgh and area.

Enjoy your trip

Dear travelerLondonON,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. By all accounts, it would appear that you had a wonderful experience, and you have correctly identified many of the benefits of the hotel, including the city centre location. I am also extremely pleased to hear that your children were able to take full advantage of our swimming facilities, and I appreciate your comments on the service received from our team members throughout.

Furthermore, I do hope that you and your family will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

After arriving at The Caledonian after getting married at the weekend in the Crieff Hydro hotel, I felt pretty disappointed that I'd left Crieff. We were originally booked into the Scotsman but due to a reservation issue, we were transferred to The Caledonian. Having spent a lot of time in Edinburgh, I was really excited by this as I have always wanted to stay in the hotel! When we checked in, the staff on reception were polite and efficient but by no means chatty. She never made any general conversation, we were just another check in. The room itself was small and dark and the bathroom was far from luxurious with the shower over the bath and the most uncomfortable bath ever, made for giants! We decided that since breakfast was not included in our rate of £167 per night we would find breakfast out with the hotel which I find pretty scandalous. Also the £20 per night parking fee and £15 internet rate seemed excessive! Very comfy beds however. All in all, I left the hotel feeling that it is certainly a good hotel but impersonal and caters more for the businessman than holiday makers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natasha1049

Dear Natasha1049,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It is with regret however to read that you have departed feeling somewhat disappointed by your overall experience, and I apologise for any shortfall in the service received. I am particularly surprised by your comments on the 'impersonal' treatment that you felt that you were given, especially since the majority of our reviews are complimentary of our team members. Never-the-less, this is an area which we shall certainly investigate further, and I appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention, as it is only through such feedback that we can improve on the service which we provide.

Once again, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused throughout your stay, and I do hope that your previous experience does not deter you from returning to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

If you feel like a bit of a 'treat'... try this place. Superb location [apart from , like ALL of Edinburgh, road disruption caused by the tram works which are due to finish sometime in the next century or two]. Service is impeccable and the recently revamped rooms are beautiful. We've stayed their many times. The whisky bar alone is worth it [even if you don't like whisky]... just browse through the 'menu'.. fantastic. Meals are excellent too.... the bistro has a wide menu and breakfasts are to die for [if you have the black pudding, haggis and fried eggs.. maybe literally!]... no.. an expensive but a great value stop in a beautiful city.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. By all accounts, it would appear that you had a wonderful 'luxurious' experience. I appreciate your kind remarks, especially with regards to your dining in our Galvin Brasserie De Luxe, and I shall share your comments with the relevant team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.