4,274 results
All reviewspeacock alleycaley bargalvin brasserieguerlain spacastle viewbeautiful hotelend of princes streetluxury hotelturn down servicenespresso machinean upgradebeautiful roomhaggisroyal mileconciergedoormanbathrobes
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Spent an overnight at the hotel with two friends for the festival. David at reception checked us in and couldn't have been more helpful organising some housekeeping items for our stay and a map and festival guide etc. Nothing was too much trouble and we all felt looked after. Room 216 had a view of castle it was a good size with two queen comfy cosy beds...bliss. We used the pool and sauna/steam rooms which was very nice. Bathrobes, slippers, espresso machine...all those little extras that make the stay extra special were provided. concierge really helpful on departure. The location was fab based at one end of Princes street and close to Waverly and Haymarket train stations
Only downside to a lovely time in a beautiful hotel was the night doorman, we attempted to enter the hotel by a locked door, it was 2am, well we had been out all evening and the door was open during the day. He insisted, outside on the street checking our door passes... Doe's the hotel often get three women who try to gain access by masquerading as guests. Maybe 1 D were staying! but to be fair I'm old enough to be their granny, so a groupie...No. One or two small sherry's had been consumed over the evening but no one in my party was drunk, can't speak for the doorman come bouncer. What a cheek, how very dare he. Beware the doorman/bouncer with the power to inflict pavement humiliation.

Room Tip: 216 castle view large fab room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank val0123
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Val0123,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am very glad your overall stay with us was a pleasant one. I am pleased David was able to assist you upon check in, in a personal and friendly manner. I am also happy that we were able to provide the extra touches to ensure your stay was both relaxing and comfortable. I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience whilst trying to enter the hotel late at night. We certainly put our guest’s safety first; however please accept my apologies for feeling humiliated, and unfortunately 1D were not actually staying with us, maybe if you choose to return next year! The staff member concerned works alongside the hotel and I will personally pass on your comments to our security manager to minimize similar incidents occurring in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed at the Caledonian for two nights during the festival - I believe the hotel was full. We had a wonderful stay! From the moment we arrived staff could not have been more welcoming or professional. Our room and the bathroom were both extremely large for a city centre hotel with lovely views over the castle. The hotel is beautifully decorated and we loved the peacock light in the lounge/bar. Will definitely stay here again and recommend to all our friends and family.

Room Tip: Third floor looking over castle
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Karen C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear you had a fantastic stay at ‘The Caley’, in particular the magnificent views of the castle from your bedroom. I am happy to hear our professional and friendly staff members were able to assist you during your stay and you could relax in our Peacock alley lounge after a long day of festival activities!

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Thought this place was good, but for the claims and money paid, it really isn't a five star. Maybe the staff should visit some actual 5 star places to see how it is really done.

On that note, staff were really nice though, and bed was co fy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Philip S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am very disappointed to hear that your overall stay at ‘The Caley’ did not meet your expectations, or meet your five star standards. I am certainly interested to learn your thoughts of your recent stay, so please contact me directly to discuss your issues further, my email address is Chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

We loved this hotel. Our room was very pretty and large with a fantastic view of the castle. Big, beautiful bathroom also with the same fantastic view. Very comfy queen-sized beds. Perfect for us and our two kids. The pool was great. The restaurants were delicious. The concierge was helpful and knowledgable. Can't say enough praise. We just loved it!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Karen B
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear 1Karen1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read your praise, including your appreciation for the wonderful room which you were allocated, our Guerlain Spa and Galvin Restaurants facilities, as well as the helpful and knowledgeable Concierge.

I have no doubt that you will return to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

This was the worst hotel my husband and I have ever visited and we travel all over the world regularly. We booked this at the advice of the Edinburgh Festival office four months in advance of the festival requesting three rooms for our party with city views and were told that was possible. We were required to pay then in full for all rooms...a rate for our room of $512 ..per night. When we arrived we were told we could not have the rooms with a view; were given tiny rooms with hardly room to move within. Every thing from newspapers, to wi-fi was charged at a high rate. The staff is over stretched..This is a hotel that has no concern other than a profit. The guest is just there to be drained of cash. There is no spirit to the place...it is a machine...Avoid this hotel as there are many good ones in this wonderful city. The Festival is fantastik.

Room Tip: avoid this hotel. It has no spirit, no sense of place.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Anne H

Dear Anne H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It is however with regret to read your negative opinions of many aspects with your overall experience. As is the case with the majority of our guests, especially in August, a view of the castle is requested for the obvious reasons. Although, this is only a request, which on this occasion, unfortunately you and your party were unable to receive due to the extremely high business levels for the Edinburgh festival period. I am sorry if you feel that the staffing was overstretched during the duration of your stay. I like to feel that we plan accordingly based on the high volume of people passing by daily, never-the-less, I certainly appreciate your feedback on the matter, and this is something which we shall take into consideration for the future. Moreover, I would like to think that you would not ‘avoid’ the ‘Caley’ in the future should you choose to return to Edinburgh. Furthermore, I can assure you that our guests are our number one priority; with many of our team members naturally communicating and assisting with guests needs, as this passion is the reason for being involved in the hotel industry.