4,343 results
All reviews peacock alley caley bar galvin brasserie guerlain spa castle view beautiful hotel end of princes street five star hotel turn down service nespresso machine an upgrade beautiful room haggis royal mile concierge doorman luxury

FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF A HHONORS LOYALTY MEMBER

Very nice property in a great location, spectacular views from the rooms (if you're willing to pay extra). Staff is courteous and friendly; seem knowledgeable enough. Furnishings/decor are good condition and quality (better be since the place was recently renovated to the tune of millions).
Treatment of HHonors members is disappointing (Diamond here). This property has chosen the path of "by the book," with minimum upgrade policy (slightly better view, higher floor, etc., but not much in the way of increased room size). I suppose if you pay near full rate, you will probably receive a decent upgrade. However, if you're on an award stay (non-revenue) like I was, then you won't be given the "red-carpet" treatment. So odd how companies create web-sites and ad campaigns designed to woo people into joining their loyalty programs, but once you do, your made to feel like your a burden? Day of check-in, larger rooms were still for sale on the WA web-site even though I was told none were available. Other Gold/Diamonds know what I mean by this.

All in all, a good stay and solid choice, just wish management genuinely appreciated their loyalty members. A true effort at rewarding loyalty members will bring additional revenue portfolio-wide down the road...my .02 cent FWIW.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MrFozziedoggie
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Fozziedoggie,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following a recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. We always value our guest feedback especially from our loyal HHonours members. I am glad to hear your overall experience at ‘The Caley’ was a positive one; however I am disappointed to learn you felt you were treated unfairly as a diamond member whilst using your points towards your stay. I would like to reassure you I have passed on your comments and our management team are aware of the situation. They are, of course actively looking in to the Diamond member benefits and I believe there will be changes in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights at end of Edinburgh Festival. Check in was very easy and nice friendly staff. We were given a free upgrade and had a lovely large room, one of biggest hotels I have stayed in. Beds very comfy and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Did not have breakfast at the hotel as it was an extra £20 and much cheaper options just around the corner.

Room Tip: Ask for castle view room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank UkManchestergirl

Dear UkManchestergirl,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following a recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am happy to hear you very much enjoyed your stay at ‘The Caley’ in particular your complementary upgrade! I am delighted you found our staff members friendly and always willing to help during your stay.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Popped into this hotel just to use the little boys room and it definetely has the wow factor both inside and out. we were going to stay for a coffee but the prices scared us off ! Im sure they are on a par with other hotels of this standing but I was feeling in a Starbucks mood anyway

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is a little piece of luxury in a super city. Great location, lovely decor, good service. Stunning lobby, wish we had time to indulge in afternoon tea, but we were simply too busy seeing shows at the festival.

If I was being picky about the hotel I would say this. Our key card to gain access to our room kept disabling. So we would have to go back down to reception every time. Which was painful. That is my only fault.

We are looking forward to coming back to Edinburgh next year and using the Waldorf then too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Tracy J,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following a recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to experience some of the fantastic shows the festival has to offer. It’s a shame you didn’t have time to enjoy our marvellous afternoon tea service in Peacock Alley, I certainly recommend this for your next visit to Edinburgh! I am sorry to hear you experienced difficulties with your key card during your stay; I hope this was not too much of an inconvenience to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ on your next visit to Edinburgh!

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Not the sort of hotel we can usually afford but needed somewhere last minute and somehow bagged a room in this amazing hotel via lastminute.com, couldn't quite believe our luck but expected to be put into the cupboard under the stairs and would have still been happy.

The hotel is located a short walk trough the princes street park form the strain station and we arrived shortly after the 3 PM check in time. As our rooms we were offered a free complimentary drink in the "peacock alley" restaurant/bar which was just beautiful. The building is an old station and the evidence was clear in this amazing high ceilinged room complete with old station clock.

Once we got into our room we were pleasantly surprised to find it was not under the stairs but a long a very confusing corridor, beautiful furnished and equipped will all the standard mod cons like tv, mini fridge, tea/coffee facility plus coffee pod machine, i pod radio, and music in the bathroom. And of course extra fluffy robes and slippers! We felt like royalty. No view of the castle but that was the least of our worries as we'd be looking at it for the rest of the day wandering around town anyway.

The hotel also had has a stunning spa, pool, sauna, steam room and gym. I only visited the pool, sauna and steam room but was surprised to find for the whole hour I was there at 9am on a weekday I was the only one using it. From the pool area the Edinburgh castle was clearly visible which made for some very relaxing swimming indeed :) Highly recommended!

We also visited the hotel bar for 1 drink after our night out in the evening. Of course, very highly priced but very relaxed and good service!

We checked out the following day and were pleased to be able to leave our bags until departure in the evening and can only recommend this Hotel highly enough. Not sure it needs it, but if you can get a good price on one of their standard rooms, go for it. It's a real treat :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear MandyNau,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following a recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am very happy to hear you had a brilliant stay with us, I am glad you were able to relax in our Peacock Alley lounge and appreciate the history of our hotel. I am pleased you were able to experience your in room and hotel facilities in particular, our award winning Guerlain Spa.