“HIGH CLASS”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Recently visited this wonderful Hotel on Princes Street for a reception and a Dinner. The standard of service was excellent and surpassed my very high expectations of a Waldorf Astoria Hotel. The food was exquisite and the table service was first class. All of the staff were very courteous and helpful. My wife and I enjoyed a memorable evening and I thank all of the staff for making it so.

Room Tip: I didn't stay overnight on this occasion
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear allancaz,

Thank you for taking time to post a review following your recent attendance at an event held in the hotel. To hear that the standard of service surpassed your expectations is certainly the highest praise possible, and I will be delighted to share this throughout the team. Moreover, I do hope that you are able to return to the ‘Caley’ again soon for another memorable evening!

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel beautiful vast building. Received chocs for our anniversary and upgraded to castle view room which was nice. Beds turned down at night and slippers placed at bedside and coffee capsules replaced along with milk. Lovely room and bathroom. Had breakfast in our room which was perfect but at £40 plus £5 tray charge it should be. The only negative would be that on a Saturday night the noise from the street below was very very loud and we are only a youngish couple but it was annoying. Reception said more or less what did we expect on a Saturday night!!
That is the only thing that would prevent a return visit.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zinfa
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Zinfa,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that we were able to assist in making your Anniversary such a special occasion, including the chocolates and up-graded room. The up-grade includes a wonderful view of Edinburgh Castle, which is obviously on the main route of a very busy centre hotel. However, Should you wish to return to the ‘Caley’, please contact me directly at chris.logan@waldorfastoria .com, and I shall ensure that a quiet room at the back of the hotel is allocated.

Chris Logan

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Booked with a last minute deal and had no expectations really - very pleased on arrival: lovely old fashioned hotel; decent sized room; and fabulous bathroom. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel is in a great location. My "buts" however were that: the changing rooms for the spa were a bit on the dirty side, there was only one clean towel left and none of the advertised drinks and fruit; there was a persistent low level noise coming from the machinery attached to the hotel which was like white noise through the night and (and this is really minor) I asked reception to replace my Netspresso capsules so that they were all de-caff (doctor's orders) and it didn't happen. In the end I tracked a housekeeping cart down and the guy gave me a handful. I'd definitely stay again though as I reckon these were all little glitches and the pros more than make up for any cons.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear jlancaster,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Overall, it does appear that we exceeded your expectations, and I particularly pleased to read of your positive remarks with regards to the friendly and helpful staff. However, I am disappointed that you have departed with a poor impression of our Guerlain Spa facilities. As the only Guerlain Spa within the UK, we pride ourselves on this honour, and more often than not, we receive comments on the luxurious nature of the facilities. Although, I certainly take your feedback on the cleanliness issues very seriously, and I will personally follow up to ensure that this does not occur again. I thank you for drawing this to my attention, and I do hope that you will choose to return to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We were given an exceptional welcome, our room was amazing, little touches fab, dinner in the Pompadour was excellent. We had a great night's sleep.
One main point... We booked dinner bed and breakfast. We waited 40 minutes for a table for breakfast and then when other couples who arrived later had been shown in before us we were taken to the bar area for a downgraded experience. Food quality there worse than premier travel inn standards which is saying something from a 5* hotel. We didn't eat and left and we weren't the first. This really needs addressed as it ended our otherwise great stay on a negative. Plus side- on checking out our bill was adjusted immediately and the maître d' was sincerely apologetic, as was the receptionist- minus side we left hungry after longing for a relaxed decadent Scottish breakfast.
Wi-fi at £14.99 on top of an almost £500 package is a bit cheeky.
Kasia and Natalie were amazing! Fantastic customer service and the extra mile.
Overall recommended. We'll get up lots earlier for breakfast next time!

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear northerntraveller74,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear of your exceptional welcome, amazing room and wonderful dinner in our Pompadour by Galvin Restaurant, all extremely positive attributes of the hotel. Never-the-less, I certainly understand your frustrations caused due to your poor breakfast experience over the weekend. Rest assured, our food & beverage manager has addressed this as matter of urgency, and from a personal point of view, this is my number one priority at the moment. I am however glad that Natalie and Kasia at our front office were able to somewhat redeem the situation, and I shall certainly pass on your gratitude.

Overall, I feel that your experience was generally to your satisfaction, and I am sure that you will choose to return to the ‘Caley’ once again should you return to Edinburgh in the future.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The Caley is centrally located in Edinburgh. On my first night, I was woken up at 3am by an intermittent knocking noise from the air-conditioning. My sleep was disrupted again at 4am and 6.30am, by which time I gave up and called the reception to report this. Staff was helpful and sensitive. He promised to fix the problem before I return from business. In the end they moved me to another room. I slept soundly on the second night.

Breakfast was awesome. Can't complain at all!

I was, however, a little disappointed that a premium hotel such as the Waldorf Astoria charges guest to use wifi in the room. I've stayed at a range of hotels and B&Bs, and unfortunately, even the B&Bs get it right, wifi should be free!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear ajyap,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Overall, a satisfying experience was had, although I would certainly like to apologise for your disturbed sleep on the first night of your stay. Our maintenance engineers shall certainly investigate the issue further, and I thank you for advising us at the time. On the other hand, I am extremely grateful for your positive feedback on the breakfast which you enjoyed; our food & beverage manager is suitably impressed!!

I understand your comments with regards to the Wi-Fi charges, although we do provide a fast and secure service throughout the hotel; I have shared your observations with our General Manager who values all forms of feedback from our valued guests.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the ‘Caley’ once again in the future.

Chris Logan

Reviewed 20 November 2013

A wonderful hotel, great atmosphere and wonderful food and drinks. Ideal for sightseeing, shopping and then chilling!!! Standard rooms are the best value, no need to upgrade and the dinner package is not worth it!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Traveldude02,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear you very much enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the excellent atmosphere and the food and beverage outlets. I am sorry to hear you found the dinner package not worth it, although I am pleased you enjoyed your dinner in our Pompadour by Galvin restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to 'The Caley' in the near future .

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Nowhere better to stay, I was completely spoilt by my parents to be able to stay in such a grand and characteristic place, the location and staff make the place come alive with more of an old world feel then some new hip modern hotel, everything here was epic

Room Tip: The higher up the better I'd say, awesome views towards the castle and city
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear DFG606,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is a pleasure to read your positive and kind feedback regarding your stay at ‘The Caley’. I am pleased the staff members delivered five star luxury service and you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with your parents!

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next visit to Edinburgh !

Kind Regards