“Overall great stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seaham Harbour, null, United Kingdom
“Overall great stay”
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for two years over New Year's Eve. The hotel is fantastic, excellent location (right on princes street), so clean and lovely rooms. The only problems we had were on arrival (4pm when check in is 3pm), our room wasn't ready so we were put into a different room. Also once we got to the room, after waiting around an hour for the concierge to bring our luggage up I had to ring four times to speak to them! They brought it up immediately but still thought it took too long. Spa was decent, and room service was delicious. On New Year's Eve at around 9pm the hotel had a bagpiper walking along the corridors past the room playing which was a very lovely touch :) will definitely be returning if we go back to Edinburgh!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Nataliexox,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am extremely pleased to hear you returned for another Hogmanay at ‘The Caley’! I am thrilled to read you found the location of the hotel excellent and the rooms clean and comfortable. Please accept my apologies for the delay in the luggage being delivered to your room. I will certainly share your comments with the concierge team to ensure luggage delivered promptly in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ for the next new year!

Dale MacPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
manchester
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Wow...what an amazing hotel, the recent refurbishment completely transforms the hotel to another league, the staff are ultra attentive and sincere in catering for your every need, the quality and choice of food at breakfast is excellent, I really cannot faulty any aspect of our stay and look forward to coming back as soon as possible!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Chris D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review, in particular your appreciation of our recent refurbishment throughout the hotel. I am delighted the staff members were highly attentive and delivered professional luxury service.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed here one night before travelling onwards for Christmas with family in Dundee. If you are looking for a good hotel in a great location for shops and sights in Edinburgh then you can't do better than this one. The good stuff first: (i) We couldn't find the hotel by using the postcode in our GPS but they talked us in and then (ii) smartly parked the car for us (thank you Neil, you were very friendly and that helped a lot), of course it was raining and there's a (iii) nice big umbrella in the bedroom which was so great with sleet blowing horizontally down Princes Street at 85mph, the (iv) dinner (Brisket of beef) was amazing and then (v) all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. On the down side, (i) it isn't cheap and we would have had to pay for Wi-fi if we had used it which was a surprise because you even get 30 minutes free at Premier Inn, (ii) £20 overnight car parking I thought was steep but then you would pay that or more in London, (iii) the room was a bit shabby with the furniture having bumps and knocks, (iv) the bathroom wasn't very exciting but adequate. So top marks for location, staff attitude and dinner but the room itself is the piece that didn't sparkle for me.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Donald2002
Dear Donald2002,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review with regards to your pre Christmas visit to ‘The Caley’. I am pleased after a difficult journey to ‘The Caley’ our doorman Neil was at the front entrance to assist with your luggage and park the car for you. I am glad you thought the staff were friendly and very helpful, I will be delighted to share your comments with the team. We offer complimentary WIFI in our public areas and our car parking charges are reflected and on par with many of the other luxury hotels in Edinburgh, as you have mentioned many cities charge for car parking.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Singapore, Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 January 2014

If you do not mind having slow internet, stay there, eveyrthing is pretty good with amazing location especially. But if you need internet, then dont go there cos they are so slow the connections, and everywhere you go, it gets cut off and you cant even re-login without resetting, searching your wifi. Just honest opinion.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Anthony H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us; however I am disappointed you experienced issues with our WIFI. Our WIFI is designed to take two devices per room and this will allow the devices to be logged in for 1 hour before logging out for security reasons. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay and we hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

New York
Reviewed 31 December 2013

After reading the mixed reviews of this hotel, particularly about the uneven service levels, we braced for some unpleasant episodes. We were at the third stop of our weeklong Scotland travel that started at Edinburgh, onto Glasgow and ending with one night tie over at Edinbough before our flight back to New York. Our taxi arrived at the hotel in the pouring rain, but the porter didn't come to open the door or help with our luggage. Until I stood next to him at the door, he asked if I was to check in - seriously, we were just having a rain stop here for fun?
Our room was not ready and we left our phone number and they promised to call and put us on the priority house cleaning list, and we arrived around 1:30 and the standard check in was 3pm anyway. It was pouring outside, so we asked if we could borrow an umbrella, the answer is no, and that we would find one in our room if we were guest here, we were told. We told the doorman our room was not ready and we would just go for a short walk and grab a coffee nearby. No, no umbrella.
3:30, we came back to see of the room is ready as our hone never rang, we were told it was of course ready and they didn't understand why no one called us!
The rest of the stay is a blur after this unpleasant start. Only one thing to add to the insult is we are asked to pay for the use of an outlet converter. Any other hotels would loan one for free, at most take a deposit to secure its safe return.
There is a nespresso machine in the room, but why bother if only giving out three pods?
Still trying to find something positive to say about this hotel, but find it difficult....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jmw245
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear JMW245,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is disappointing to hear your stay did not live up to your expectations from the moment you arrived. I am sorry the doorman did not assist you with luggage at the front entrance; I will share your feedback with our Head Concierge and ensure this does not reoccur in the future. Many guests comment on the helpfulness and friendliness of our concierge and doorman so I am very surprised to hear you were denied an umbrella after requesting one. We certainly offer all our guests umbrellas on a typical Edinburgh rainy day; please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. I will of course, share your comments with regards to the expected phone call from reception, with my colleagues to ensure our guests are called back as soon as the room is available for them, Please accept my apologies for the lack of communication on our behalf.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the future.

Regards,

Chris Logan
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 December 2013

A great hotel, the rooms are beautiful and comfortable (though a bit cool color wise, which doesn't go well with the gray weather Edinburgh specializes in). The location is excellent, situated on the edge of new town and convenient to the castle and royal mile. The in house restaurants are excellent as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rghunter3
Dear RGhunter 3,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am extremely pleased to hear you had a very enjoyable stay with us; however I am sorry you disliked the decor design in the room. There are many different designs throughout the bedrooms, however I understand the decor is a personal taste to all our guests! I am delighted you were able to experience our Galvin restaurants; it will be a pleasure to share your positive feedback with the team.

Cacak, Serbia
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

From the down to earth door men to very opulent interiors - this hotel is wonderful.
The building itself is a marvel! It's recently been refurbished so it's all nice and clean yet it had retained its old fashioned character.
It's close to everything which means we didn't have to get into the car at all even though we had it here.
The breakfast served was fantastic and staff were always attentive.
The hotel offers complimentary shoe polish which came in very useful as I spent most of the time roaming around the city in the rain which meant my boots were filthy by the end of the day.
The swimming pool was small but sufficient enough I guess since we were having a break and not really looking to break a sweat. I didn't get to use the spa as it was fully booked during my stay so I imagine that means it must be good if it's being fully booked.
The heating control pad in room is fantastic. I know it's something that we don't usually think about but it's nice when the room temperature can be controlled by us rather than be too hot or too cold!
Nespresso coffee machine and iPad/iPod/iPhone (old charger pin) docking station is available in room.
We booked dinner at Galvin restaurant which was very nice and filling. Mashed potatoe to die for!
Shower was a little slow and weak but did the job.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear Queenie1979,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to read you found the hotel in a convenient location within the city! I am glad you were able to appreciate the hotels historic character and charm and enjoyed the in room amenities. I will personally share your kind comments regarding our Brasserie De Luxe and friendly doorman with the team; I am pleased to hear the staff you encountered were helpful and attentive.