“Lovely but not quite worth the money - bit disappointed really”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The positives - location is excellent and the view from our room of the castle was wonderful. The negative side of this though, is that even when you are up on the 4th floor you can hear LOTS of street noise at night from both people and vehicles. So it is not the quietest of places. I have stayed in lots of city centre hotels, from Russia to Spain to the USA and this was one of the noisiest. I assume that they can not put secondary glazing in due to the age of the property?

The spa/pool area is wretched and is one of the worst "spas" that I have ever gone to in terms of cleanliness and dreariness. The pool and jacuzzi area is a sorry sight to behold and the smell of chemicals in the jacuzzi is so intense that you don't want to stay in there for long, so don't bother booking this hotel if you are after a lovely spa experience. I can't comment on the treatments since we did not have any.

The bed was hard. The pillows were lovely and soft.

The bathroom was tiny and the taps did not work properly in the bath.

The brasserie is superb and the food and service was excellent. Peacock Alley was also very pleasant and relaxing with a great choice of drinks and attentive staff.

Room Tip: As high up as you can get to avoid the noise from the road and pavements outside.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Annecy09,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. As a city centre hotel in Edinburgh, unfortunately there will always be some noise disturbance from our wonderful castle view rooms. However, we would encourage our travellers to advise us of a request for a quiet room prior to arrival. I feel that your overview of our Guerlain Spa is a little harsh, and we received many positive comments on what is again, a city centre leisure facility exclusive to our guests.

On the other hand, I am delighted that the room was to your satisfaction, and your dining experiences were superb, and I do hope that you will return to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, over valentines weekend. Location was excellent
Started our trip with a lovely cocktail in the hotels peacock alley. Then decided to walk through to the hotels Caley bar and get another celebratory drink. However, the man came and took our order and demanded I.D from both myself and my boyfriend. As we were staying there and had left my purse upstairs I had none on me, my boyfriend did
. The man then reiterated challenge 25 and refused us our drinks. At this point I would like to say I am in my 30s!! I do look young for my age but certainly don't look under the drinking legal age. I just was made to feel so uncomfortable that it put a dampener on our visit. For the rest of our trip we drank at local bars and I was never asked for ID there!
Also the hotels jacuzzi was broken the day we arrived, which we werent aware of until we had gone down to the spa!
it was however fixed 2 days later and it was lovely.
Also I think Wifi should be free in guests rooms.

• Stayed: February 2014
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Northwestla,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear overall you enjoyed your stay with us. It is certainly disappointing to hear you were made to feel extremely embarrassed in our Caley Bar. Please rest assured this has been brought to the attention of our Bar Manager as this is not the service we aim to deliver to our guests as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I apologise you were not made aware of the Jacuzzi being out of service during your stay, however I am pleased this was rectified for the rest of your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here in December- 2013, while in the city visiting the Christmas Markets. We were given a room overlooking the the castle- beautiful during the day and stunning at night. This Waldorf property is in an older historic building - rooms down each hallway are very different from each other- a refreshing change from most cookie-cutter properties. The location is great for exploring Edinburgh on foot- but there is a main bus stop for local buses and tour buses right in front of the hotel. The staff is wonderful, attentive and "warm" for a Waldorf property- kudos to the management!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1LifeisaJourney

Dear 1lifeisajourney,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is a pleasure to read your amazing review regarding your stay with us before Christmas. I am pleased you were able to experience the Christmas markets and other attractions that were centrally located to the hotel. I will personally pass on your kind thanks to the team!We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed here in January to celebrate my husbands birthday. On arrival to our room there was a plate with chocolates saying Happy Birthday which was a lovely surprise.
We were given a free upgrade from a King Deluxe to a King Deluxe with View which was a nice touch (likely because the hotel was quiet and I am an Accor Club member).
Our room was massive and had beautiful views of Edinburgh Castle and Princes Street. The bed was very comfy and the bathroom was massive with good lighting.
We never had dinner in the hotel, but did have drinks in Peacock Alley, where the service was friendly and the cocktails were delicious.
We had breakfast the next morning in the brasserie. It was approx £20pp and there was an excellent selection of food, with the chefs constantly coming out to replace items.
This is a beautiful hotel with great service, and we would definitely return. I am now looking forward to my upcoming stay at the Waldorf Astoria New York even more

Room Tip: King Deluxe with View has amazing views of Edinburgh Castle
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoLoAberdeen
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Joloaberdeen,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to read your excellent review and I am pleased you very much enjoyed your husband’s birthday celebration at ‘The Caley’ and all aspects of the hotel. I am glad you are looking forward to your stay at our Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights in a king deluxe room. No view of the castle but facing the quieter Rutland Street so better if you are a light sleeper. The room had high quality bathroom and furnishings with Nespresso machine, bathrobes and slippers. Housekeeping was excellent replenishing refreshments and toiletries each day. Would love to have stayed longer and will certainly return.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank discerningcouple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear discerning couple,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am pleased to hear you very much enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the comfortable and quiet bedroom with luxurious amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Exactly what you would expect of an old 5* hotel.

Wonderful service, excellent surroundings, superb ambience.

Two other things to note:
1. The staff seem genuinely happy.
2. The bars seem to be places where ladies can go without being concerned about unwanted attention.

We had not known it was Calcutta Cup (Scotland vs England at rugby) weekend in Edinburgh. A very busy weekend - also serendipity. The hotel deals with the weekend very well and allows guests numerous internal venues in which to watch the games.

Also the room was wonderfully quiet, comfortable, roomy and clean. The bed was excellent.

A truly excellent hotel.

Room Tip: View is good but you´ll probably spend little time in the room. Non-view rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sutherland1964

Dear Sutherland1964.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to read your excellent review and I am glad you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel. I am pleased you found your room comfortable and quiet but also enjoyed the rugby atmosphere! We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed at the Caledonian for two nights. After a warm welcome by the very friendly and professional staff, we could directly move to our rooms, although we arrived long before official check-in time. Additionally, we received an upgrade to rooms with an incredible view on Edinburgh Castle - absolutely stunning! The architecture and design of the hotel are impressive.
All major attractions are in walking distance. Although there are many restaurants around, we decided to have dinner at the hotel: one night at the high-class restaurant "Pompadour", the other at the "Brasserie" - we can recommend both of them without hesitation!
On our next trip to Edinburgh we will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ML-CGN

Dear ML-CGN,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review; I am delighted we were able to upgrade your room to a room with a view of Edinburgh Castle! I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable dining experience in both our restaurants during your stay!
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.