“Nice hotel wouldn't pay full price”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #50 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel wouldn't pay full price”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here in Feb for my birthday. The hotel and King Junior Suite room were beautiful, the hotel staff were very friendly. My partner paid £171 for this room which is normally £340 per night. As much as the room was very nice I would not pay full price for this room. They spa was ok but nothing special. We did not eat or drink in the hotel so cannot comment on this area. The hotel is in a great location.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank 0x-kara-x0
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear 0x-kara-x0,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Overall, it would appear that you and your partner enjoyed your birthday celebration at the hotel, and I am delighted that you departed feeling happy.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Dale MacPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 21 February 2014

When I found "used" bottle water and sparkling water in my suite, I was so disappointed. This hotel belong to Hilton's highest level and also classified to luxury level. They should not let this kind of thing happened. I wish they can improve their house keeping standard in the future. No one want to spent 300£ per night to receive a lot of "I am so sorry" etc. However, their services are really good. I appreciate their efforts to make their guest happy especially their guest relations manager Natalie. I would also like to recommend their afternoon tea and restaurant: Delicious and Excellent service. If you have chance to visit Edinburgh, you have to try this hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank weichuanstore
Dear weichuanstore,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I would like to apologise for your initial impression upon your arrival at the hotel. Indeed having “used” water is certainly not the luxury image that we wish to portray, and this shall be investigated thoroughly. On the other hand, I am delighted that the service that you received, especially from Natalie, was to your satisfaction, and I thank you for your recommendation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I was fortunate enough to be able to stay here with a business group. From the first step through the front door to the moment we left I felt important, worthy and utterly spoiled.

The architecture, the furnishings, the staff were all magnificent. The service was exceptional and I am definitely going back for a private visit.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a great view but that's almost by the by as the rooms themselves are sumptuou...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa D
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Lisa D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I certainly appreciate such glowing report, and delighted that we were able to assist in making your business trip so pleasurable.

We look forward to spoiling you once again when you return to the ‘Caley’ on a private basis.

London
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We booked a long weekend here as a rare treat.

It was absolutely lovely. Huge hotel, great location. Biggish pool for a city centre, nice sauna and steam room. Breakfast was good. Didn't try the hotel restaurants (too pricey for us!)

We were very lucky to be upgraded to a double double deluxe room, which was fabulous. A bed each! Beds very comfy. Spacious room. Beautifully decorated. Luxurious robes.

The Caley Bar is great - we had a drink there every evening. Not too expensive for a hotel bar. Great service, free pot of nibbles on arrival (wasabi peas, habas fritas) the bar snacks were good too.

A few comments about the room: Fresh milk should be provided in the mini bar as those little UHT packs are hopeless and spoil the taste of the Nespresso - need about 8 to make a decent cup of coffee! There was a constant hum outside as if from an air conditioning unit or generator. I wear earplugs so it was ok, but might have been annoying otherwise. Something I found a little strange was the bedding - they use two flat sheets to sandwich a duvet, rather than a duvet cover. I don't like to be tucked in, so had to untuck the sheet at the bottom, and by the morning I was sleeping under a partly-uncovered duvet.

There were a few very minor niggles during our stay but these were quickly rectified and I can't complain but wanted to mention it as the staff dealt with them quickly and efficiently. The staff were really excellent and we were treated very well, even though we were on a special rate and didn't quite feel worthy of a 5* experience!

We would definitely go back to this hotel when we next visit Edinburgh. At the rate we had, it was very good value. Not sure we could afford full price, but even so it is probably worth it!

Room Tip: If you want a view, be sure to ask when booking
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Buggletown,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay overall, including the positive experience in our Guerlain Spa. I would like to ensure you that we do provide fresh milk complimentary milk via our In-Room Dining department on request, and I do hope that you are able to make use of this facility in the future should you have the opportunity to return to the ‘Caley’.

Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The positives - location is excellent and the view from our room of the castle was wonderful. The negative side of this though, is that even when you are up on the 4th floor you can hear LOTS of street noise at night from both people and vehicles. So it is not the quietest of places. I have stayed in lots of city centre hotels, from Russia to Spain to the USA and this was one of the noisiest. I assume that they can not put secondary glazing in due to the age of the property?

The spa/pool area is wretched and is one of the worst "spas" that I have ever gone to in terms of cleanliness and dreariness. The pool and jacuzzi area is a sorry sight to behold and the smell of chemicals in the jacuzzi is so intense that you don't want to stay in there for long, so don't bother booking this hotel if you are after a lovely spa experience. I can't comment on the treatments since we did not have any.

The bed was hard. The pillows were lovely and soft.

The bathroom was tiny and the taps did not work properly in the bath.

The brasserie is superb and the food and service was excellent. Peacock Alley was also very pleasant and relaxing with a great choice of drinks and attentive staff.

Room Tip: As high up as you can get to avoid the noise from the road and pavements outside.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Annecy09,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. As a city centre hotel in Edinburgh, unfortunately there will always be some noise disturbance from our wonderful castle view rooms. However, we would encourage our travellers to advise us of a request for a quiet room prior to arrival. I feel that your overview of our Guerlain Spa is a little harsh, and we received many positive comments on what is again, a city centre leisure facility exclusive to our guests.

On the other hand, I am delighted that the room was to your satisfaction, and your dining experiences were superb, and I do hope that you will return to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, over valentines weekend. Location was excellent
Started our trip with a lovely cocktail in the hotels peacock alley. Then decided to walk through to the hotels Caley bar and get another celebratory drink. However, the man came and took our order and demanded I.D from both myself and my boyfriend. As we were staying there and had left my purse upstairs I had none on me, my boyfriend did
. The man then reiterated challenge 25 and refused us our drinks. At this point I would like to say I am in my 30s!! I do look young for my age but certainly don't look under the drinking legal age. I just was made to feel so uncomfortable that it put a dampener on our visit. For the rest of our trip we drank at local bars and I was never asked for ID there!
Also the hotels jacuzzi was broken the day we arrived, which we werent aware of until we had gone down to the spa!
it was however fixed 2 days later and it was lovely.
Also I think Wifi should be free in guests rooms.

• Stayed February 2014
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Northwestla,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am delighted to hear overall you enjoyed your stay with us. It is certainly disappointing to hear you were made to feel extremely embarrassed in our Caley Bar. Please rest assured this has been brought to the attention of our Bar Manager as this is not the service we aim to deliver to our guests as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I apologise you were not made aware of the Jacuzzi being out of service during your stay, however I am pleased this was rectified for the rest of your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Rhode Island, USA
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in December- 2013, while in the city visiting the Christmas Markets. We were given a room overlooking the the castle- beautiful during the day and stunning at night. This Waldorf property is in an older historic building - rooms down each hallway are very different from each other- a refreshing change from most cookie-cutter properties. The location is great for exploring Edinburgh on foot- but there is a main bus stop for local buses and tour buses right in front of the hotel. The staff is wonderful, attentive and "warm" for a Waldorf property- kudos to the management!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1LifeisaJourney
Dear 1lifeisajourney,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Caledonian, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel. It is a pleasure to read your amazing review regarding your stay with us before Christmas. I am pleased you were able to experience the Christmas markets and other attractions that were centrally located to the hotel. I will personally pass on your kind thanks to the team!We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Kind Regards,