“Excellent treatment”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Matosinhos, Portugal
“Excellent treatment”
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I was in this hotel for 2 nights during my honeymoon and I must say the treatment was 5*. A nice welcome present on my bedroom, a king bed and the most beautifull view we could have: the castle!!! Breakfast is also very good, I really recommend this place.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Sonia C,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh, The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read you very much enjoyed your honeymoon at “The Caley”. I am pleased all aspects of the hotel were to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Dale MacPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I am going to do this in point form as there are too many things to just do in a sentence
On arrival room not ready....no drama we were early
Am asked by a curt terse front of house person for a credit card.....right I have been asked for a credit card....
I ask them to chill a bottle of expensive champagne I have bought up from London whilst we are out....no problem
After an hour we call them as I stupidly gave them my AUSTRALIAN number.....my fault.....
The room is ready.....we stroll back to the hotel....about 20 minutes.....get our room keys....go to our room ........
The room is unbelievable!!!....massive gorgeous with a spectacular view of the castle......just what I PAID for!!!!!
We look around....no baggage.....
We TRY to call front desk.....it's 12 midday on a Wednesday...no answer....try 5 times!!!!.....no answer....go through room service instead....our champagne arrives.....still no bags.....try front desk again.....still no answer!!!!!...I then go through concierge to get them to bring up the bags......front desk calls me and asks if I was trying to contact them!!!!!!...well that's what the button was!!!!!
So the day goes on ....lovely room service great service by Duncan the room service person....
Relaxing in our room something is shoved under the door....come and pay your bill please....now remember....I prepaid the room a year ago and I just handed them a credit card....
I TRY to call front of house.....someone answers!!!!!...realize it is a new shift!!!!...
Yes there are problems with your credit card.....excuse me???....and you couldn't have called me.....
I go down with my credit cards......new person on the desk....very helpful.....oh the person on the desk earlier used the credit card on file.......FROM A YEAR AGO.....excuse me????....why was I not asked which credit card to use...the one I PHYSICALLY handed you or the one on file.....as I would have told you.....THE ONE ON FILE HAD BEEN HACKED AND REPLACED!!!!!....don't ask me for a credit card and not use it!!!!!!
It got to a point that I needed to complain so the next morning I went to the front desk and told the person my story....
I go back to my room and within 2 minutes Nitin is on the phone....he dips the Director of Operations.....and from that moment on our experience was fabulous....I want to thank both Nitin and Chris for taking the reigns and fixing all the little things that make a trip either good or bad....
The last part of the negative is when I went to check out they still tried to use my hacked credit card.....and I must say a COMMENT SHEET in rooms would be REALLY GOOD!!!!....
Overall our experience at the Caley was fabulous but the front of house let them down.....would I go again.....absolutely but I would DEFINITELY let them know my name!!!...so hopefully good front of house people were on !!!!!!!!...
Breakfast fantastic.....food fantastic...peacock alley service slow for no reason.....room service the shining light!!!!!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Kerrinny,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am pleased to hear overall you enjoyed your stay at ‘The Caley’. I am delighted Nitin and Chris were able to assist you with the issues you experienced. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the future.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel totally lived up to its reputation. The hotel is ideally situated overlooking the castle and on the edge of Princes Street. The staff were lovely, the room was immaculate and the bed was really comfortable. Would highly recommend this - especially if its your first trip to Edinburgh and you want to be central.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the castle
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear countrysideaddict,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to hear you had an excellent stay at ‘The Caley’ and the staff members provided luxury service. I am glad you found the hotel in a convenient location to Edinburgh Castle and other attractions. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed here on a Friday night in February. We stayed in the sir Walter Scott suite. We love this hotel especially the bar and peacock lounge. We are in the restaurant upstairs which was amazing. Staff were very polite and friendly.
We had breakfast in the room. Our room looked over to the castle.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kazandlee
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Kazandlee,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh, The Caledonian. I am delighted to hear you very much enjoyed your stay, in particular your large suite with a view of Edinburgh Castle. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We were going to Edinburgh for my boyfriend's birthday so I decided to book this hotel.

The room was so lovely, and very spacious – especially the bathroom.

The swimming pool and gym are great, and the bar was also very good serving a wide variety of beers.

Car parking is good value for a city centre at £19 per night, and very easy to get to by car.

It was beautiful and worth the price, we would definitely stay at this hotel again as its location for seeing Edinburgh on foot is perfect.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatK1
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear KatK1,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh, The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review, I am delighted to hear you found your room very spacious and you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Caley in the near future.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Spent the weekend in Edinburgh. It is a city I know well, but this is my first stay at the Caledonian. The hotel is centrally located with great access to all of the places you want to be. If you are driving, it is a little challenging to get there, particularly with part of a Princess Street closed to cars. Apparently, that was news to my Hertz GPS. Rooms are very nice and seem recently redone. Only challenge was hilton messed up my reservation. Hotel dealt with the problem well and was kind to upgrade me to make up for inconvenience. Have stayed at number of hotels in Edinburgh. This would be the best.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Cajun_traveler405
Dear Cajun_traveler405,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh, The Caledonian. I am extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your stay in particular your comfortable room. I am glad our reception team were able to rectify the issue with your reservation without any inconvenience. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Caley in the near future.
Sheffield
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Booked the Caledonian for a birthday treat for my husband. They front of house staff fantastic and they upgraded our room along with wine, chocolates and birthday card. Galvin Brasserie De Luxe is a must - the Manager and staff fantastic. We eat on there on Friday night and cancelled our reservation for Saturday night elsewhere to eat there again. Afternoon tea is a must and once again the staff first rate. Rooms beautiful and clean we had a view of the castle (room 300). Bed and pillows so comfy. Drinks in Peacock Alley lovely after a full day out exploring Edinburgh. Overall 10/10 very relaxing experience, beautiful hotel, great vibe, friendly staff, amazing food what more could you want from a hotel. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple