“Beautiful hotel, very well run. A real treat.”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #53 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Poole, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, very well run. A real treat.”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The Caley is a truly luxurious hotel in the heart of Edinburgh. Our stay, Saturday and Sunday nights, was a treat for my boyfriend's birthday, and we were lucky to get an upgrade to a Junior Suite. The rooms were spacious and comfortable with lovely bathroom facilities. The hotel is very well operated, the staff are professional and attentive. The swimming pool and leisure facilities are modern and clean. The whole experience was a joy from start to finish and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Scrat718,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that we were able to assist in making your boyfriends birthday such an extra special occasion. I never tire of reading positive comments on our professional and attentive staff, and rest assured I will share your review with the team.

Moreover, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Dale MacPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
essex
Reviewed 18 March 2014

had a great stay at the Caledonian. Staff were so friendly but professional in all parts of the hotel. room was great with amazing viewsover the castle towards the bridges. pompadour restaurant served a fantastic meal with exceptional service. good public areas - peacock alley and caley bar. shame we couldnt get in to the spa because it was fully booked. will definitely stay again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear colindeb,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you mention many of the wonderful facilities available in the hotel, from our wonderful Pompadour by Galvin restaurant, to Peacock Alley. Moreover, I am particularly delighted by the wonderful service received by our professional staff, certainly the luxury image that we aim to provide for each of our guests.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here for one night in January 2013. We had a great experience at The Caledonian. The room was lovely and the bathroom very big. The staff were very friendly and you knew you were receiving 5 star service. The spa was impressive. I paid a little extra for a room overlooking Lothian Road with views to the Castle and it was worth the extra expense. I would happily visit this hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for a room with views to Edinburgh Castle.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear David J,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I would like to pass on my thanks on behalf of the team and I for your wonderful feedback on your overall experience with us. I agree that that little bit extra is certainly worth it for the fantastic view of Edinburgh castle.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed at the Caledonian in February on a business trip to Edinburgh. It's a beautiful old world hotel and had a lovely room on the First floor. Love the Cally bar! This was my second stay at the hotel and I recommend it to others from my office who go there to meet our colleagues in Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Linda S,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh, The Caledonian. I am delighted to hear you very much enjoyed your second stay at ‘The Caley’! Thank you for the recommendations to your colleagues! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed two nights whilst attending the Scotland vs England rugby match. The meal was excellent at the bistro but the accommodation was a bit small and noisy even on the fourth floor. I know this is a city centre but being kept awake by shouting in the streets until 3am whilst in a 4th floor bedroom was definitely a surprise.

Drinks in the lounge were a bit 'cold' as the ceiling is very high and the layout quite impersonal.

The spa was very poor for this grade of hotel - the level of ch
Prune was so high in the pool that It made my eyesight misty for 20 minutes after I finished. The toilets and changing rooms are down stairs that are slippery with water from other visitors. The gym was excellent though.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Andrew T,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh, The Caledonian. I am pleased overall your stay was enjoyable, however it is disappointing to hear certain aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectations, your comments regarding the spa and other outlets have been shared with the management team. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to “The Caley” in the near future.
Matosinhos, Portugal
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I was in this hotel for 2 nights during my honeymoon and I must say the treatment was 5*. A nice welcome present on my bedroom, a king bed and the most beautifull view we could have: the castle!!! Breakfast is also very good, I really recommend this place.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sonia C,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh, The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read you very much enjoyed your honeymoon at “The Caley”. I am pleased all aspects of the hotel were to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I am going to do this in point form as there are too many things to just do in a sentence
On arrival room not ready....no drama we were early
Am asked by a curt terse front of house person for a credit card.....right I have been asked for a credit card....
I ask them to chill a bottle of expensive champagne I have bought up from London whilst we are out....no problem
After an hour we call them as I stupidly gave them my AUSTRALIAN number.....my fault.....
The room is ready.....we stroll back to the hotel....about 20 minutes.....get our room keys....go to our room ........
The room is unbelievable!!!....massive gorgeous with a spectacular view of the castle......just what I PAID for!!!!!
We look around....no baggage.....
We TRY to call front desk.....it's 12 midday on a Wednesday...no answer....try 5 times!!!!.....no answer....go through room service instead....our champagne arrives.....still no bags.....try front desk again.....still no answer!!!!!...I then go through concierge to get them to bring up the bags......front desk calls me and asks if I was trying to contact them!!!!!!...well that's what the button was!!!!!
So the day goes on ....lovely room service great service by Duncan the room service person....
Relaxing in our room something is shoved under the door....come and pay your bill please....now remember....I prepaid the room a year ago and I just handed them a credit card....
I TRY to call front of house.....someone answers!!!!!...realize it is a new shift!!!!...
Yes there are problems with your credit card.....excuse me???....and you couldn't have called me.....
I go down with my credit cards......new person on the desk....very helpful.....oh the person on the desk earlier used the credit card on file.......FROM A YEAR AGO.....excuse me????....why was I not asked which credit card to use...the one I PHYSICALLY handed you or the one on file.....as I would have told you.....THE ONE ON FILE HAD BEEN HACKED AND REPLACED!!!!!....don't ask me for a credit card and not use it!!!!!!
It got to a point that I needed to complain so the next morning I went to the front desk and told the person my story....
I go back to my room and within 2 minutes Nitin is on the phone....he dips the Director of Operations.....and from that moment on our experience was fabulous....I want to thank both Nitin and Chris for taking the reigns and fixing all the little things that make a trip either good or bad....
The last part of the negative is when I went to check out they still tried to use my hacked credit card.....and I must say a COMMENT SHEET in rooms would be REALLY GOOD!!!!....
Overall our experience at the Caley was fabulous but the front of house let them down.....would I go again.....absolutely but I would DEFINITELY let them know my name!!!...so hopefully good front of house people were on !!!!!!!!...
Breakfast fantastic.....food fantastic...peacock alley service slow for no reason.....room service the shining light!!!!!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Kerrinny,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am pleased to hear overall you enjoyed your stay at ‘The Caley’. I am delighted Nitin and Chris were able to assist you with the issues you experienced. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the future.