“Excellent Hotel, Wish we had stayed longer...”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #59 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We just had a short weekend break in glorious Edinburgh, and the quality of this hotel made the whole trip really special. The staff at reception are very friendly (thank you Yannic) & helpful and showed us to a charming room with a view of the castle and a very comfy bed. I do think a 3pm check-in time, though not unusual, is a bit late tho…

The hotel is a grand old building so the interiors all seem to have good proportions and an elegant style. The new parts, such as Peacock Alley where we had lunch, are quite grand and tastefully done too. The food was good, tho not as good as the cocktails, and not as good as the Amazing breakfast we had the next day! (I read someone on here complaining that there is no breakfast menu which made it difficult - this is rather unfair as almost everything is on the buffet and you can ask for pretty much anything you want and you'll get it quickly, the staff in the breakfast room were wonderful).

The hotel gave us a great recommendation for dinner (Stac Polly's on Dublin Street), and all in all the whole experience made us fall in love with Edinburgh all over again. Thank you!

Room Tip: Getting a room with a view of the castle is definitely worth it, but if you're a light sleeper b...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear BradderSW ,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh –The Caledonian. I am pleased all aspects of your stay lived up to your expectations and the staff including Yannic were able to deliver excellent service. Our Food and Beverage Manager will be delighted to share your excellent feedback with his team!
Dale MacPhee

Write a ReviewReviews (3,868)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at the Caledonian for 3 nights earlier in the month. We thought the property itself was very nice. We are Diamond members so we were upgraded to a very nice room on the 5th floor. The room was great with a lovely view of the castle. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was great. I think it was a room that had been renovated recently. Our issue all boiled down to service. Check in was efficient but quite unfriendly. While there, we had drinks at the Peacock Alley, drinks at the Calley Bar and dinner at the Bistro. Peacock Alley is a lovely place to have drinks. There is someone playing piano there which is a nice touch. We were tired the first night we arrived so we decided to stay in the hotel and eat in the Bistro. While the food was good the service was non existent. We were seated for at least 15 minutes before anyone approached us to acknowledge us or take a drink order. Then when we finally ordered, it took forever to get each course. Altogether dinner took well over 2 hours. The waitstaff person did apologize for the slow service and brought us a glass of prosecco. There really didn't seem to be a reason for the slow service as there were only 5 or 6 tables with diners. What would have been a very nice dinner turned into a frustrating experience. The final straw was on the last night when we stopped for a drink at the Calley Bar before going out to dinner. We each had a glass of wine and the waiter brought the bill. My husband signed the charge to be billed to our room which he had already discussed with the waiter. As we were leaving the bar area, one of the bartenders literally yelled to my husband to come back and pay. He did this in front of all the other patrons. As I mentioned earlier, we are Diamond members and have been for several years so we spend a lot of money at Hiltons. We certainly would never stiff a waiter for a 20 pound bar bill or any amount for that matter!

I will say that all the staff at the concerige desk was very helpful and went out of their way to make recommendations. A bright spot of the stay.

There are lots of choices for hotels and for the price, I would expect better service.

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view. It is really cool.
1  Thank sandee_beach_9

Dear Sandee_beach_9,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh –The Caledonian. I am pleased you found your room and the hotel pleasant, however it is extremely disappointing as valued Diamond members, the service you received was not the luxury service we aim to provide as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I will personally share your experience with our both our Peacock Alley and Bar Managers and ensure better communication between team members in the future. Please accept my apologies on this occasion for the shortfall in our service.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.
Regards,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I really wanted to be thrilled and wowed by this hotel. It has a great reputation and has excellent views of Edinburgh Castle, conveniently located. Sadly we weren't happy with our stay. There were some problems with the room and the floor we were on. It smelled like sewage was backing up in the hall sometimes. This smell sometimes was noticeable in our bathroom as well. Although the room was very clean and nicely decorated it was very small and some bits of it needed repair. The vent in the ceiling was cracked and looked loose for instance. The bathroom was incredibly dark. I think this was more for atmosphere then a bulb out, just not a good design. The room was incredibly warm and we had to open a window to cool it down. Turning down the temp in the room didn't seem to do much and only the 2nd day did it feel comfortable. We ordered room service on the 3rd morning and ordered bagels and toast. Both were stale and the toast was burned. I complained at checkout and was told it would be taken off the bill (along with an internet charge we were charged double for), but the room service wasn't removed. I didn't notice this until I looked at the bill later and noticed we were still charged.

The staff was very friendly and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast downstairs was delicious and the lobby area is gorgeous. But sadly the experience was not the best.

Room Tip: The 5th floor had a bad smell about it. Perhaps avoid this floor?
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elizkane99
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Freqtrav99,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh –The Caledonian. It is extremely disappointing your stay did not live up to your expectations. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly, I would be delighted to assist with your billing issue regarding your room service experience. My Email address is chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com .
Regards,
Chris Logan

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel was stunningly beautiful on the inside and out. Very convenient for sightseeing as it's right next to Edinburgh Castle. I took my Mum here as a birthday present so I got a twin room with view of the castle and it did not disappoint. Room 306 was massive and had the great view I wanted. The beds were very comfortable as was the other furniture. Staff were polite and Malcolm our concierge was helpful and good to have a chat with. We were both disappointed the jacuzzi wasn't working but the pool was nice. We were a bit surprised when another couple left their young child alone with us in the pool and never came back. We had to tell staff when we finally left as then the child was completely alone and we were worried about his safety. The staff told us it wasn't the first time they had done it as they were members. Perhaps a one off if they don't know the rules but if they do it often, I know other workplaces such as mine would call CPS as this is a dangerous thing to do. I should point out to anyone reading this that the pool doesn't have a lifeguard so to speak, it is monitored by CCTV from the spa front desk but it's not monitored every second so definitely NOT a place for leaving young children alone.
We stayed for 2 nights and the deal I got did not include breakfast. To buy breakfast is about £20 each, which we couldn't justify as neither my Mum nor I eat much for breakfast. We did have one evening meal at the brasserie. We both had the crab lasagne to start and plaice for mains. The food was lovely but was covered in melted butter. If I were to eat there in future I'd ask for it to be on the side so we could taste the delicate flavours of crab and fish a bit more.
Aside from the strange experience in the pool, my main gripe was the price of the wifi. At over £200/night for the room, the LEAST they could do would be to include free wifi. Otherwise it's £15 for 24 hrs. If fast food restaurants and coffee shops/cafes can provide free wifi, I don't see why they cannot provide it for guests who are staying in the hotel.
Overall I would recommend this hotel as a treat (for the average person like me it was expensive), but every once in a while it's worth it to come to a place like this.

Room Tip: Choose room 306 for twin queen beds overlooking the castle!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear LeeLeeLee23,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh –The Caledonian. I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay however I am concerned you feel our procedures regarding our pool area are lacking. Please rest assured this has been addressed with our Spa Director who has ensured the policy is enforced at all times with our team and our guests. We offer complimentary wifi in our public areas and bedrooms and a premium internet is available to purchase should you wish to use the internet extensively throughout the stay. I will certainly share your feedback regarding your Brasserie De Luxe experience with our Executive Chef and our Brasserie De Luxe Manager.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

One of the most amazing hotels I have stayed in. 5 star rating I would suggest. Wonderful lobby to relax in and one of the best breakfast's I have had! Rooms very comfortable and the best location right on Princess Street. We had a wonderful view of the castle from our bedroom. Definitely the hotel to stay in whilst visiting Edinburgh! Enjoy the breakfast! We didn't like the meal we had in the restaurant one night - too much salt in the food which the staff acknowledged. Other than that, fab.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Hennifer,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh –The Caledonian. I am delighted to read ‘The Caley’ was one of the most amazing hotels you have stayed in. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your comfortable room with a magnificent view of Edinburgh Castle! I will personally share your excellent feedback with the team!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Last year we were totally put off 5 star hotels by the utter shambles in Turin .
The WA in Edinburgh has totally restored my faith in 5 star hotels .
The staff were superb from start to finish , nothing was to much trouble and the housekeeping was top notch.
The front of desk staff were superb and Thomas arranged all our trips with no fuss .
Id like to say thank you to Christina (Mrs Brown ) Keuter ,Chris Logan ,Thomas Stewart and Nicolas Baxter from Restaurant for making our stay as brilliant as it was .
In a word ...perfect .

Dear garynolga,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh –The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review and I am pleased to hear our management team delivered excellent service to ensure your stay was unforgettable!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We're in process of bringing to this hotel over the course of a few days a very large group of friends who have traveled together extensively for nearly a decade and a half. We're well traveled and have experienced many levels of service from the Serengeti in Africa to Ashford Castle in Ireland. Not all have compelled me to write a review. This one has. The Waldorf Astoria/Caledonian has not only the best location in town, but the friendliness, the deference to those who require it and the ability to anticipate our needs. It's only been a few days so far, but our experience here been remarkable. From the top down, it has already been a success. Bravo and congratulations to the hotel management. The individuals made a difference: Joanis (in Brasserie management), was both engaging and professional, and helped with our dinner parties - he made a huge impact on our experience here. Laura, Chris and Natalie in events and guest relations, respectively, were extraordinary and always cheerful and ready to help. Equally impressive: the front desk and concierges, housekeeping and fabulous wait staff, who are warm, helpful and again, completely professional. No request was too large or too small to garner complete attention. They went over and above what was expected. Whether you're here on your own or bringing a group, if you want a lovely, top-flight hotel with impeccable service and wonderful food - (first rate; an amazing chef who is an artful and creative talent as well as a lovely individual) then this is the place for you. We'll be here again, without a doubt.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe view room, at very least. It's well worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank georgimonty
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear georgimonty,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your current stay in the ‘Caley’. What can I say?? It has been a pleasure looking after you and your friends this week, and Laura, Natalie and I are extremely grateful for your wonderful feedback!

You know where we are if there is anything else that we can assist you with.

Kind regards,