“Perfect location in Edinburgh” 4 of 5 bubbles

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #52 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Camden, South Carolina
“Perfect location in Edinburgh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

What a delightful place! It is just down from the Waverly train station on Princes Street. Rooms were very large, warm and comfy. The bathroom was also large and modern. Ah, the towel warmer was a godsend as our weather was off and on rain with cool temps (50s F) and blustery winds. How refreshing it was to wrap a warm toasty towel around you after a long day on the Royal Mile and a brisk shower!

Across the street was the stop for all of the "hop on hop off" tour buses....out front was a stop for the city buses and the streetcars.....and, a block away were Rose and George streets for restaurants, pubs, and shopping. Like I said, it was a "perfect location" in Edinburgh.

2 Thank DrFrankly
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear DrFrankly,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. You have mentioned many positive features of the hotel, including the perfect location, and I am happy to hear to you appreciated the bedroom in which you stayed.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the ‘Caley’ again in the future when you return, and I promise that I will try and make the weather better!

Kind regards,

Dale MacPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Birmigham, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our stay in the Sir Walter Scott, King panoramic view suite (#114/116) at the Caedonian was perfect! We were traveling with our 18 & 19 year old son and daughter, and this suite worked perfectly for us. The hotel was kind enough to set the living room up with 2 roll away beds for the kids next to the 2 sofas in the main living area. We wanted to be together, yet separate, and this setup could not have been more accommodating. The bathroom was huge with 2 showers. One of which was a shower/bath combination. The heated towel rack was a luxurious addition to the bathroom, and the robes were super cozy to snuggle up in after a long day of sightseeing. The Peacock lounge was a lovely setting for after dinner drinks, and the staff was so wonderful to us! We especially loved Laura, who crated a specific drink for us with about 6 different ingredients we requested. Pedro was our waiter almost every morning for breakfast, and he worked hard to keep the food moving from kitchen to table with a very positive attitude. The continental breakfast with fresh fruits, meats, and pastries was very satisfying. We all enjoyed watching the pastry chef from our booth in the morning as he prepared fresh pasta ravioli for the evening. This location cannot be beat! The view of Edinburgh Castle all lit up in the evening... absolutely stunning! Thank you to all who served us!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear dmhdf,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted the staff members were able to accommodate your requests to ensure your trip with your family was even more enjoyable! I will certainly share your lovely review with the team and extend your kind regards to Laura and Pedro!
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley in the near future.
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

From the moment we walked in the hotel we were made very welcome.

The rooms are ultra clean, spacious, newly refurbished and classy.

We did not sample the restaurant but had drinks in the fantastic surroundings of peacock alley.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great location also.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Scots2011 ,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

The staff very helpful and friendly. Might be overpriced with the surrounding hotels, but was well worth it for us. We spent 5 nights at the hotel. The lobby layout was slightly lacking but you have to consider the age of the building. They did miss one of our wake up calls which disappointing ( maybe a automatic system would be a good thing even though it not a live voice). I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

Dear chitown962 ,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your five night stay with us, in particular the friendly and helpful staff members. Please accept my apologies for the team missing one of your wake up calls, I appreciate your feedback related to this .
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.
Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend from 23-27 May2014. From the moment we checked in we could not fault the staff. We ate in the Peacock Alley in the evening with the staff fetching the menu for us from the bar. The staff took the time to have conversations with us each time they came to serve us. Breakfast offered an extremely wide variety of choices and again the staff were very attentive and helpful. Our room was very comfortable which was cleaned very well on a daily basis. The location was brilliant with it being in the heart of the town and convenient for walking to many attractions. We did not need to use the car at all as were able to walk to all the places we wanted to see. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting luxury break and we will not hesitate to return in the future.

Dear Linda A,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to read you very much enjoyed your stay with us, in particular your interactions with the friendly and attentive staff members. I will personally share your kind review with the team!
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in many hotels, mostly luxurious. This is the first time I've stayed in a Walford Astoria hotel though.

Staff are really great, loved the atmosphere and the hotel but...

Staying here caused me to have a bad skin reaction, sadly I feel this was caused by whatever you put in your bed sheets, it's caused me to take time off work and a lot of hard work too sort it out. I've never had this issue before, and it isn't anything else, I've gone through it all.

This is why next time I come too Edinburgh I will perhaps find somewhere else... I would love this to be picked up by a manager so that this can be looked into. I would hate for someone else to suffer the same fate as me!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Jacob B ,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am pleased overall you had a pleasant stay with us; however I am extremely concerned with your comments related to the bed sheets. I would like to investigate this further and would be grateful if you could contact me directly at Chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com .
Regards,
Chris Logan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Agree with the previous review, two tea bags and 4 UHT mini milks in room is not good enough for 5 star. Having said that the room did include a complimentary Nespresso coffee maker.

Hotel is newly renovated so everywhere is clean and spotless.

For me it was lacking the wow factor especially when you first arrive in reception, this is more an issue with the build design in this case.

Staff were very helpful, can't fault them.... went for afternoon tea and scones, while very tasty we were served with the smallest scones ever!

We had to pay extra for breakfast, and just selected the Full Scottish which was very tasty and fulfilling.

Didn't eat dinner in restaurant, very pricey, and with central Edinburgh on the doorstep we were spoilt for choice.

Location excellent for shopping in Princes street, access to Castle and Royal Mile plus restaurants in George Street and Rose Street.

Arrived by Airline bus from airport, there is a bus stop just round the corner, so no need to go all the way to final stop at Waverley station.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ed W
Dear Ed W,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is disappointing to read your stay did not fully meet your expectations. As previously mentioned our In room dining team would have been more than happy to deliver additional fresh milk and tea bags when requested. I am sorry to hear you feel the major refurbishment is not to your liking and the hotel is lacking the wow factor upon arrival.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.