“Great Stay!”

Ranked #53 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was our 3rd stay at the Caledonian. We brought my husband's parents for their retirement trip and they also loved the stay.

Castle view rooms are great.

We also tried the breakfast this time around - food was good and our server (Loannis) was fantastic....ask for him if you go :)

Overall - great stay...as always!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Mariana 1,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to hear you have stayed with us several times and your family also enjoyed their time at ‘The Caley’. I will pass on your kind regards to the breakfast team and in particular Ioannis.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Dale MacPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Italy
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Never been happier! Thank you so much!
Been there with my husband for a wee break. The staff was great and really helpful. Great variety of food. Well located in the city center. Couldn't ask for a better place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michela G
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Moxie2007,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am always excited to receive such positive feedback from our guests, and it will give me great delight to share this with my team.

Moreover, I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Florida
Reviewed 7 June 2014

First off the location is perfect, right at the base of Edinburgh Castle, which provided excellent views. It's an older hotel so expect creaky floors under the posh carpeting, but it makes it more charming and less sterile than most chain hotels these days. We ate dinner one night in the Brassiere and the food was quite good. I've stayed in several different W-A properties around and the service here was not quite the same as perhaps New York or Orlando. The bathrooms are quite large and the rooms were very nicely appointed. Very comfortable beds and bedding.
Be aware if you are driving and unfamiliar with the city, there is only one way to approach the front door curb and it can be quite confusing at rush hour!

A couple minor missteps though the lowered the experience. I'm a HHonors Diamond member and frequently am upgraded, this hotel however decided to upgrade me from a King room to a Double room. Yes it had a better view, but I'm travelling with my wife and frankly double beds are too small for two people. No other rooms were available that night. They did resolve it the second night by moving us into a beautiful suite which was appreciated, but just a suggestion to hotel staffs out there...upgrade within the same bed type. There is a reason I selected a King over a Double room.

Second minor misstep, the Director of Operations was in the Lobby one evening and invited us to have a complimentary glass of champagne in the bar that evening and gave his card. He went into the bar and gave them our names. Later that evening we went into the bar and the waitress knew exactly what the deal was and brought us the glasses. When we left however she must have changed shifts and quite embarrassingly someone chased me out into the lobby and shoved a bill under my nose. I fortunately still had his business card and just stuck it in the bill folder and said he was taking care of it and walked away. But still it completely destroys the impression presented by offering the free drinks.

3 Thank Eric F
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Eric F,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that overall, your experience was pleasurable. Never-the-less, there are certainly some service issues which need to be addressed, and rest assured I have passed on your feedback to my Director of Operations, Nitin who will follow up accordingly.

Moreover, I do hope that you will choose to stay at the ‘Caley’ again should you return to Edinburgh again in the future.

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our daughter & son in law treated us to a stay here last weekend and we were very impressed. Staff are very friendly and helpful and our room was very nice indeed - extremely comfortable bed, and room was very well decorated. Spa was really nice - perhaps helped by the fact that we were the only 4 people using the facilities. Would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking castle very nice as were rooms at front (we were 4th floor)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alan57muir
Dear alan57muir,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. By all accounts, it would appear that your gift from your daughter & son in-law was a winner, and I am pleased to read that you were able to enjoy some of the facilities, including our wonderful award winning Guerlain Spa

Furthermore, I do hope that you will choose to stay at the ‘Caley’ again should you return to Edinburgh again in the future.

Mount Pleasant, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The staff was terrific and they met all my needs are request with a smile. I was very happy with the room and the view was spectacular. The hotel itself was very impressive building and the location was increadible. Right in the city center and close to all public transportation, shopping, entertainment and cultural events. Over all this was one of if not the nicest hotel I've ever visited.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank George R
Dear George R,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I agree that the location of the hotel is of extreme benefit to our guests, however I am particularly ecstatic to read of your kind remarks with regards to the terrific staff who looked after you throughout.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in May. Great hotel, wonderful location. We had a deluxe room on the 5th floor, although this did not have a castle view we had a massive corner sofa in the room ! and the bathroom was huge. Good selection at breakfast and we had a meal in the Galvin restaurant on the Sunday night which again was lovely and excellent service. Would return.

Dear Louise M,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am extremely pleased to hear that you were more than satisfied with the facilities within hotel, and delighted that you chose to dine in our wonderful Galvin Brasserie De Luxe restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the ‘Caley’ again in the future when you return.

Camden, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2014

What a delightful place! It is just down from the Waverly train station on Princes Street. Rooms were very large, warm and comfy. The bathroom was also large and modern. Ah, the towel warmer was a godsend as our weather was off and on rain with cool temps (50s F) and blustery winds. How refreshing it was to wrap a warm toasty towel around you after a long day on the Royal Mile and a brisk shower!

Across the street was the stop for all of the "hop on hop off" tour buses....out front was a stop for the city buses and the streetcars.....and, a block away were Rose and George streets for restaurants, pubs, and shopping. Like I said, it was a "perfect location" in Edinburgh.

2 Thank DrFrankly
Dear DrFrankly,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. You have mentioned many positive features of the hotel, including the perfect location, and I am happy to hear to you appreciated the bedroom in which you stayed.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the ‘Caley’ again in the future when you return, and I promise that I will try and make the weather better!