“Enjoyable”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Lovely old world hotel, but not without glitches. We arrived in the morning around 9:30 so, understandably, the rooms weren't ready. We were two friends, each with our own room. I gave them my cellphone number and they said they'd call as soon as the rooms were ready. They even texted me immediately to let me know they would do so. Hours went by, with my checking my phone every 15 minutes, and I was never contacted. Finally, we went back to the hotel around 3:45pm and the rooms had been ready for hours but they never contacted me. I was annoyed to say the least as I was very tired from traveling and wanted to get into my room. My room was lovely and large and well appointed. My friend, for the same price, was put on the 5th floor, which I was told had been an area for service people with much smaller rooms - though larger bathroom - and very small high placed windows. While the view was better, this room should not be priced as are others in the hotel. They are a good bit smaller, with narrower hallways. The "lounge" area of the hotel is gorgeous and relaxing and there is a lovely spa area where I was given access while waiting for my room. They couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating in the spa. The concierge was terrific and found us great places to eat. The hotel is also wonderfully located in Edinburgh. Great place but I'd stay away from the top floor unless being on the top floor is more important than the size of the room.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are smaller than others in the same price category.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tink2014123
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Tink2014123,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is disappointing to read whilst you enjoyed your stay overall there were service issues that didn’t live up to expectations. I will certainly share your comments regarding check in and communication with our Front Office Manager to ensure similar issues do not occur in the future. As the hotel is a large historic building, rooms types tend to differ in layout, I am sorry you feel both your rooms were very different and this had a negative impact on your stay.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future
Dale MacPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Midlands
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A wonderful hotel. The food in the Galvin Brasserie was delicious, the cocktails in the Peacock Bar a great way to start the evening. The staff in the hotel were attentive, helpful and very polite. Could not have asked for more.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SadieBlue,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted you had an excellent stay with us and I am pleased the staff members were extremely helpful.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the future.

edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A wonderful hotel that gives you everything you need to enjoy a relaxing holiday in the heart of the city. Why have such a silly requirement of a minimum of 200 charaters ? In future I will not be completing such a survey for your company.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Mark K,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh. I am extremely glad to hear you had a very enjoyable stay with us and you feel the hotel provides everything you need to relax in wonderful Edinburgh!
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the future.
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Caledonian is a wonderful hotel with a great view
and amenities! The lobby and bar area is welcoming
and beautiful!! The rooms are clean and spacious
with nice bathrooms, bedding and a Nespresso machine. We
had two rooms which overlooked the castle and the views
during the day and at night when the castle was lit
were beautiful! We ate dinner in both of the hotel restaurants
and the food was delicious! The Pompadour restaurant is a lovely
room with nice views!
Natalie, a concierge at the hotel, was extremely helpful in answering my questions
before we arrived and in setting up dinner reservations. She was
also a big help when our arrival flight was delayed 24 hours and even
greeted us upon arrival and showed us to our room! We had a wonderful stay!!

Room Tip: A room with a castle view is worth the extra money! The breakfast buffet is good, but pricey at 21 G...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear magnolia217,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had a very pleasant stay with us, and were able to enjoy both restaurants and other facilities in the hotel! I will certainly share your kind comments with Natalie; I am pleased she was able to offer assistance prior to your arrival.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.
Santa Monica
Reviewed 6 July 2014

After doing the "check-in dance" typical of some Hiltons, we finally got the "Castle view" room that we had requested more than 2 months in advance. At first we were given a room that had a view of a back alley and chimneys, that was far less than what we expected. Numerous patronizing excuses were given to us about the Castle view we had long requested. It seemed like we were being stonewalled at reception with semantics about the "request" in our travel agent's reservation. A room reservation request made nearly 3 months in advance should usually be honored. After climbing the management ladder with our request we finally got the room we expected, but we shouldn't have been forced to go through this process to begin with. We actually chose this hotel for its Castle view. It is NEVER easy to change rooms after traveling.

After settling into the Castle view room that we expected we had a great stay. The room was comfortable, large and clean with a phenomenal view of the Edinburgh Castle on the hill in the summer. Because the sun sets after 10pm, it is an amazing transition into twilight.

Also, the Concierge made a great recommendation of a small casual Italian restaurant around the corner from the hotel that we really enjoyed.

Room Tip: Choose a Castle view room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TVZoom
Dear TVZOOM,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with the original room that was allocated. I understand our Guest Relations Manager has contacted you following your departure. We certainly try our upmost to accommodate all requests subject to availability and business levels, however unfortunately on this occasion we were unable to fulfil your request upon arrival.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.
Regards,
Edinburgh
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

A large party of us attended for Afternoon tea.
Had pre-booked the speciality option, but we were disappointed to find on arrival that this would not be provided.
Had we known this in advance we would have cancelled and gone somewhere else, as the standard afternoon tea was not what we wanted for this special occasion.
However, with guests on the way we could hardly rearrange venues minutes before their arrival.
I found this oversight to be especially frustrating as the reservation was made weeks in advance, and there had been email correspondence with the staff in which it was expressly stipulated that it was the Speciality Tea we were ordering, as this was an entirely different menu from the standard.
Other that that, cakes were pleasant. Sandwiches were too small - left peckish.
Staff were friendly and obliging, but the service for the food to arrive was slow. And even after it had arrived there was a very long wait while tea orders were taken, and another very long wait for the waiter to give a brief explanation of the cakes before we could start!
All in all, an enjoyable occasion and opulent surroundings, but would not return due to the faults aforementioned.
To their credit, they did offer a complimentary glass of Champers for the inconvenience which was some recognition of their mistake.

Stayed May 2014
ABERDEEN, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

the hotel was brilliant and the concierge Natalie was very helpful the room took my wife's breath away the area of the hotel was great everything was within walking distance and top it of the weather was hot in the high 70's we where there for the royal garden party

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Andrew L
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Andrew H,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review; I am delighted you had a very enjoyable stay whilst attending the garden party! I will certainly share your kind comments with Natalie and the concierge team. We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley in the near future.