“So not worth extortionate amount of money charged”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #55 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My partner and I booked into this hotel as a special treat at the beginning of our holiday, thinking we would be surrounded by luxury..how wrong we were! The hotel is distinctly average - the bathroom was bigger than our bedroom, everything in the room was rather shabby and tired, and the sound of the air conditioning unit outside our room was constant throughout our stay. There are no frills - which for the astronomical cost of our room is ridiculous-and they even charged us to park in their car park! All in all - you will get much better quality and value for money by booking into a lovely boutique bed and breakfast and forget chain hotels!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank woosiesoosie
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear woosieoosie,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian. It is disappointing to read you found your room and the decor tired and shabby following our major refurbishment in 2012. As the hotel is located in the city centre we feel our car parking charges are in line with many of the other luxury hotels in Edinburgh.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.
Dale MacPhee

Write a ReviewReviews (3,798)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just had a one night "romantic" stay with the missus. I usually stay with friends in Edinburgh so I know the city...and this hotel is a perfect location to explore from..and is easily walkable from the major sights...and Waverley station.
It is an older building (it used to be a railway station) so don't expect some North American soulless skyscraper type feel to it. Our room felt a little tight because of a lower ceiling..but it isn't anything to get worked up about. The room itself was well stocked and the bathroom was clean with an excellent shower.
We had drinks and breakfast in the hotel...both were excellent...breakfast being the usual excellent Hilton brand choice but with a bit of extra polish and quality. I would love to know what some people consider an acceptable breakfast?? Maybe the haggis being served can be a bit off putting for some?
Staff were friendly...check in was smooth and efficient for us. The only minor problem which stopped the review receiving 5 stars was checkout. There was only one receptionist behind the desk at 930am which meant a lengthy line of people looking to check out (not everyone wants to use express checkout). It took a couple of stares towards the concierge to get someone else out to take care of the line...and there were quite afew "I am very sorrys" from the staff when the line started moving. Not really expected from a Waldorf hotel.
All in all though...if you like your hotels to have some history, appreciate great location and also having the basics (room and food) being WELL above the norm..then this is the perfect place for you.
BTW Pricewise....it is a Waldorf Astoria....you ain't getting cheap deals here....not until they put "by express" after the brand. I wouldn't book here and then complain about the price afterwards...understand where it is you are staying and the history behind it....you aren't getting this in a cookie cutter hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the castle. Lower ceiling in our room due to the design..but I am 6ft 2...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce D
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Bruce D,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your extensive positive review of ‘The Caley’. I am delighted you very much enjoyed all aspects of your stay and the Waldorf Astoria experience.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed two nights before boarding The Royal Scotsman. Why did I chose this hotel instead of The Balmoral recommended by Belmond? Because after reading TA reviews I thought it was better located besides my husband being a HHonors member. The family agreed afterwards. We arrived at 2pm and our room was not ready - check-in is at 3pm -, but the receptionist (Mr. Hoffmann) was very forthcoming, asked us to wait in the Peacock Alley where we had a bite to eat. As at 3pm the room still was not available he came to our table excused himself for the delay and offered to take care of the bill. Ten minutes afterwards our twin deluxe room with view was ready. The room was comfortable, good beds, enough space and spectacular view of the castle. The bathroom was a little small, but had everything you need and ample space for toiletries. Breakfast was very good.and dinner at Pompadour restaurant was excellent. The only negative would be the lady in the bar. We did not realize it was not 12pm yet so tried the door, she answered it in a very aggressive way, asking us what we wanted!!, We waited outside for 10 minutes and returned, as her attitude continued to being surly, we decided to have our draft beer in the Alley where the staff was always forthcoming. As another reviewer says, one individual can't taint the entire hotel experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GranmaAlma

Dear GranmaAlma,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review, I am delighted you had an excellent breakfast in our Brasserie and dinner in Pompadour, I am disappointed service was not as you would have expected in our Caley Bar so this will certainly be addressed with the team member involved.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed for two nights and weren't overly wowed, especially given the price. The room was ok but I think the hotel are tight with certain things like having about three tv channels, no wifi, paying for newspapers etc. breakfast was not nice either. All in all I would not stay again - there are much nicer places for much less.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kelly S,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am extremely sorry to read you were not impressed with your stay at ‘The Caley’ and you feel the hotel is lacking on certain service aspects. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will share these with the management team.
Regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful room overlooking the castle. The amenities were very nice making for a very comfortable stay. Swimming and spa area was fantastic, it was a nice afternoon to unwind. Excellent location for walking and sightseeing. The only negative would have to be the very surly attitude of the male server in the brasserie restaurant. One individual can taint the entire hotel experience. He was one of the worst. Too many other options in the neighborhood to tolerate this.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear flyingbiz,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am extremely pleased you found your room comfortable with a magnificent view of the castle and with excellent in room amenities. I will certainly share your comments with our Brasserie De Luxe Manager who will certainly address service standards with the team.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Some would say stately, I would say old and tired.
We made it to the hotel last night. The very pleasant cabbie went inside to see if we could get help with our luggage since my foot was injured. We waited five minutes before my companion and I carried our luggage inside ourselves. Someone did ultimately come to help while we were checking in. I understand that it was after 10:30 but it was not quite the service level I would expect from a hotel flying the Waldorf flag. Neither was the threadbare carpet in the hall, nor the creaky floor and the even more creaky bed.

All that said however pales compared to being asked to pay 7.50 to borrow a power adapter. Mind you, I've just come from the Andaz in Amsterdam where the adapter was built into the wall but a second was provided cheerfully. As it was at my previous hotel at the Andaz in London.

I was gratified to have letter from the front office supervisor, Mr Robb, explaining to me how very important I am to you as a diamond member and how much you appreciate my continued loyalty. This was the first time I have received a letter from a front office supervisor; in the past I've usually had the same form letter signed by the GM.

Extremely disappointed...

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Marc S

Dear MarcNmelony,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am extremely sorry to hear as a valued Diamond member your stay has not lived up to your expectations. I understand you have spoken with our Guest Relations Manager and Director of Operations during your stay. Please accept my apologies once again for the inconvenience this has caused to your trip.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Great location, very central just off Princes street. Hotel seemed a bit stuffy. Paid £170 for room only, no breakfast included. Service in bar was really poor, took 15 mins to get a drink brought over to table and it wasn't even busy, not what you would expect from a 5* hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear ciaran_duffy,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am pleased you feel the hotel is situated in a convenient location, however I am sorry to read you feel service is lacking across the hotel particularly in the Caley Bar. I will address these issues with our Bar Manager to ensure the high standards are met at all times.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future