“5 star - I don't think so”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #53 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wales
“5 star - I don't think so”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hotel room was tired looking, no evening turndown service, no full length mirror in room (awkward when getting ready for an evening event). The chairs in the room had seen better days, and to use the mirror above the writing desk to dry my hair (where the plugs were) I needed to stand up (despite trying to sit ontop of 4 pillows on the chair).

We had afternoon tea in Peacock Alley which was lovely, however our waiter gave us the menues then went off and hepled the barmaid make drinks for another table. We weren't in a hurry, but after nearly 1/2hr we managed to catch the eye of a waiter in another part of the room who apologised and took over (he should not have been the one to apologise).

On 2 nights of our stay, after enjoying Edinburgh hospitality, we arrived back at the hotel very late. The second time (a Friday) we were stoped outside the hotel by a man who did not identify himself, asking to see our room keys before we could be allowed into the hotel. As it was dark and poor lighting this person could have been anyone - I have been asked in the past, once inside, for my room key but never outside in the dark - does this hotel have problems with unwanted callers at night?

As it was raining heavily on our last night we decided to eat in the Caley bar - despite only a few other guest the lone barman took nearly 20 mins to take our order, then another 20 mins to deliver the drinks. My burger was cooked on the outside but raw in the middle (I had asked for well done). We sat facing the bar area and the bar staff put all used glasses on the side of the bar which faced the door entering from the road - for over 2 hours (we timed it) this bar area got fuller and fuller, and we witnessed several parties come into the bar, take one look, turnaround and go back out. The bar was not busy and staff were stood around. This was not a good first impression, which may have contributed to it not being busy, and certainly NOT something I have seen in other 5* hotel bars.

The saving grace for this hotel was the Sunday Jazz lunch - service was excellent, as was the food, the ambiance and the jazz.

My advice is to go to this hotel for the Sunday Jazz lunch but find somewhere else to stay

Room Tip: Book a castle view room. If you want to make use of the pool ask for a room near to it as its not e...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank disneydollar
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear disneydollar,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit to us. I can assure you that these issues will be addressed with the food and beverage team immediately. With regards to security, we do take the security of our guests very seriously which is why you were asked to show your key card; being in the busy heart of the city means that we must be vigilant around these procedures, I am however sorry that this was not perhaps as welcoming as it should have been. I am pleased to note that you enjoyed the Jazz lunch and I hope that you will return to sample again.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.
Dale MacPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Very nice hotel with good service. Rooms are a bit small but probably not much different from many hotel rooms in the area. Very good location by Edinburgh Castle. Good restaurants nearby. A very good choice for Edinburgh.

1 Thank MRCN
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear MRCN,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your trip over to Scotland, and I agree that the location in the capital is perfect!

Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Really enjoyed my stay at the Caledonian. It is an enormous building, though, so don't get lost! Beautifully decorated throughout - loved the large double shower in my room. Breakfast was crazily expensive though - we went round the corner to a cafe instead which turned out to be an awesome decision. I didn't have room service or anything from the restaurant, but the reception staff were extremely efficient and friendly. I'd definitely go back again!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Ms_Travelalot,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience with us, and managed not to get lost! I am particularly pleased that you will return, and ee look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ again in the near future.

New Jersey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I had very high hopes for this hotel considering its location and reputation and I wasn't let down at all. The service was impeccable, the room incredibly comfortable, and the location was fantastic. My only regret is that I only had 1 night to stay. I will definitely be back and plan to stay much longer next time.

Room Tip: Even the rooms without a few of the castle are lovely.
1 Thank HaveWineWilTravel
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear HaveWineWilTravel,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear we had the opportunity to welcome you to Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian. I am very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

London
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Thought the building is lovely and situated in a excellent place, the service from the hotel staff has much more to be desired! I expect more from a Waldorf Astoria hotel and far more from those who work there! It creates a bad name for the brand and I doubt I shall ever again pay a visit to this hotel in future.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank DavidR9091
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear DavidR9091,

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be situated in a convenient location for visiting Edinburgh. On the other hand, as you can see from our other numerous five star reviews, it is extremely unusual to hear the hotel staff members are rude and unhelpful. Many of our other reviewers feel that the staff members provide excellent luxury service and the ‘The Caley’ is proud of outstanding service we provide as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel. The information provided would be more accurate if you had mentioned the specifics, however without such detail, we would unfortunately be unable to re-train, or discipline certain team members should this be true. Moreover, should you wish to provide details of your stay, I would be more than happy to deal with the issues personally.

Regards,

Chris Logan
Dallas
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just returned from 6 nights at the Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh. We were in room 202 which had a king size bed with a fantastic view of the castle. At night there are fireworks at the castle & it is such a beautiful sight to see. It is even pretty in the fog!
The room and the bathroom are very spacious - our room had a very nice size walk in closet with drawers & safe. The bath products are Salvatore Ferragamo & there is a heated towel rack which is lovely in chilly weather.

The hotel is located right in the middle of the tourist activities but was also very close to the business area where my husband was working. The hotel has air conditioning but we opened the windows to cool off the room while we were there - using the a/c only at night. The hotel staff was very accommodating & helpful with restaurant suggestions, taxis, etc. One morning I had a wake up call & slept through the call. Someone came up to my room & knocked on the door (which I still did not hear). Then they opened the door to check on me to be sure that I was ok & wake me up so I would not miss my tour that day - could not believe they would be so attentive & helpful.

The breakfast was very good & we enjoyed the bar at the end of each day to relax after walking around to see the sights. The hotel used to be a railway station so has lots of history & character.

I would definitely stay here again because of the location, service and amenities that this hotel offers. Great choice for business or touring Edinburgh!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your outstanding review! I am extremely glad to read you had a comfortable and enjoyable business and leisure trip! I will personally share your kind comments with the team regarding their attentive and helpful service.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ again in the near future!
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Me and my colleagues recently stayed here a few days throughout a short trip in Scotland. The hotel itself captures the essence of the city through its unique location and architecture - warm and welcoming staff especially at breakfast cause as far as I remember Athena and Dimitris were always above us ready to help our needs . We loved the spacious rooms. I only wish we could have stayed longer and we hope to return. I am so glad that we chose The Caledonian. I will definitely recommend the hotel to my friends.

Regards
KASTANAKIS KONSTANTINOS

Dear Kostas K,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to read your business trip was a success at ‘The Caley’ and you had a very enjoyable stay!
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ again in the near future!