“Lovely weekend break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #51 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Lovely weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in Edinburgh rather than Glasgow for the recent Commonwealth Games and chose the Waldorf Astoria based on reviews. The location of the hotel was brilliant, close to everything we needed/wanted and within walking distance of the shops and . We upgraded the room and found the amenities to be of the standard one would expect. We chose not to pay the £20pp for breakfast but decided to go next door to The Huxley where it was half the price but did not compromise on quality/taste. We did not use the spa/ pools etc as we were only around for the weekend and had other planned activities, but other guests were overheard in the lovely Peacock Lounge, to be saying that it was a very enjoyable experience for themselves. We expected to find more than 2 teabags and small shower-gels/ shampoo etc than was provided by the hotel, that said, what we were given, were all good. I guess the fact that we are planning to return to the same hotel again proves that we were satisfied and can be used as a recommendation in itself.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Mark H,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am thrilled to hear you were able to enjoy some of the Commonwealth Games whist staying at ‘The Caley’ and found the location of the hotel convenient for visiting attractions in Edinburgh. I certainly value your additional feedback regarding the lack of amenities in the room. I will be pleased to share your comments with our Housekeeping team to ensure these are replaced on a regular basis.
Dale MacPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We arrived at the hotel, for 1 night our first wedding Anniversary, I had booked a King Deluxe with Views, I got the summer rate of £207.00 this I thought was a good rate considering it's 5 star status, The valets were busy but I was quickly directed to their car park which is actually situated behind the hotel through the big Arches, even though we entered the hotel through the car park entrance the hotel is spectacular, the bar area is huge very spacious & very grand, a quick check in & was informed my room was on the first floor, this I thought may be an issue as I requested an upper floor room with views, however what you may not realise is that although we were only on the first floor we were still quite high up due to the vast size of the hotel, we entered the hallway of our room to be greeted by a huge beautiful bathroom directly in front then to my puzzled amusement there was a door to the left & right, my first thought was it may be an adjoining room, like the ones they unlock to make a bigger room haha I was wrong, we had a huge sitting room with sofa's flat screen tv, coffee machine & fully stocked mini bar, walking through the bedroom door we both could not stop smiling it was simply fantastic, the bed was huge & very comfortable, the views of the Castle & city were fantastic. I could waffle on however the main reason I typing this is I have stayed in lots of 5 star hotels across the world from York to new York to new zealand etc & this hotel beats them all by a mile, I have never been to a hotel where every single member of staff I came across was so polite, helpful & very professional, now I know some staff especially at the high end are often over nice, but I could not fault their approach to the customer, perfect. I have yet again waffled on but this hotel in my eyes is the best hotel I have ever stayed in & my wife & I are planning a longer stayed return soon. M. Moss stayed in room 110 friday 01st August 2014. PS if you manage get this far reading then get it booked :-)

Room Tip: Deluxe King double room 110 huge room fantastic views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear mossjasp
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your outstanding review, I am extremely pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations throughout your stay, in particular with the complimentary upgrade to one of our one bedroom suites with a view of Edinburgh Castle! I will be delighted to share your excellent comments with the team. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly prior to your future visit at ‘The Caley’, we look forward to welcoming you back!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had an overnight stay at the Waldorf and found it to be a grand hotel in the old tradition. Amenities were all excellent, staff were very helpful but in no way interfering and there is a charm about the building that is relaxed and inviting. It is well located, within walking distance to most of the festival venues. And a short cab ride from the rest. If you have a bit of extra cash, well worth considering.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Patrick N,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am glad to hear you had an excellent stay with us and enjoyed the history and character of the hotel. I will certainly share your kind comments with the team, they are proud of the professional luxury service they provide.
Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Great location, beautiful hotel with wonderful service. I would probably give it a 4.5. The room we were was a bit cramped but the hotel was spacious and beautiful. It was perfect for a couple. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Sam041677,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am extremely pleased to read you were impressed with the luxury service provided by the team and found the room comfortable.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My family enjoyed the vacation in Edinburgh so much. This hotel is located perfectly for our short weekend trip from the US. The tram station is located within walking distance. Edinburgh castle and the botanic garden is right in front. We were upgraded to a castle view room once singing up for Hilton Honors program. The spa and the pool was beautiful. It is a beautiful building and I would highly recommend this hotel. We would love to go back to this lovely city and I will definitely stay at Caledonian again. Two thumbs up!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Seona K,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to read you very much enjoyed your stay with us, including the complimentary upgrade to a castle view room as a loyalty member of the HHonors program.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear WavertonHotel,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Caledonian is located at the confluence of the Old City, the New City, and the West End (not really in any of these), excellent for exploring the city. The staff were exceedingly helpful and friendly, if stretched a wee thin due to the whirlwind business of the lobby. The pool was very nice, with a hot tub, great for a stretch after a flight from the US. The rooms were very comfortable, with chic design, nice bedding, and things like robes and a shoe horn. The historic building was also a grand train station decades ago, and has a grand feel - a beauty of a sitting room/bar area/public space and stairwell, as the pictures will attest. The Caledonian is a short jaunt from the airport tram, and is very well located for taxi and rental car access from anywhere in town.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear dbartramr,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh .I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh and particularly ‘The Caley’. We are always delighted to hear such positive feedback, especially on our staff and historic building. You are correct, we are ideally placed for exploring all areas of the city and I hope you will stay with us on your next visit to Edinburgh.