“Okay, Not up to Waldorf Astoria Standards”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #52 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maryland
“Okay, Not up to Waldorf Astoria Standards”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at The Caledonian our last two nights in Scotland. The customer service was good. It needed to be because our experience here was not good. Tried to take a bath and the bath water and sewage started backing up into the shower. The maintenance man came to fix it, tried again to take a bath and while draining the bath, the sewage flowed back into the shower again. They offered to move our room but we needed a connecting room for our child and there was none available. No big deal, we said we'd use our child's shower. In the morning, tried to order items off the 11 pm til 7 am menu at 6:50 am and was told, couldn't do it because the kitchen wasn't set up. Went downstairs to speak with the night manager, got a beautiful fruit plate and exactly what I wanted at 6:50 am. Next morning, tried to order the same thing, food didn't look the same and was inedible. A shame to put the Waldorf Astoria name on a place that doesn't have Waldorf Astoria consistency. For the inconvenience of the shower problem, one night was compensated. Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank moorefun10
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear moorefun10
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. Please accept my sincere apologies for the maintenance issues you experienced during your stay, I understand our maintenance department attended to the issue immediately and rectified the problem. Please rest assured your comments regarding our In room dining department were addressed with the team member concerned and will be dealt with accordingly.
I hope the issues you experienced during your stay would not deter you from returning to ‘The Caley’ in the future.
Dale MacPhee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh NC, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Golf , the people, and especially the caddies in Scotland are both an experience and memorable and the same goes for the staff at the Caledonia Waldorf. After a long week of touring and playing golf there can be no better place to frame your final impression of Scotland than here!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear William T,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your outstanding review; I am delighted to read you were particularly impressed with the luxury service and attentive, professional staff during your visit. Scotland is famous for its golf courses and I am pleased you were able to enjoy them prior to your arrival at ‘The Caley’.
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Beautiful, classy hotel. Great view of Edinburgh Castle from our room (you can choose to book a room with a castle view). We were able to watch fireworks coming from the castle, from the comfort of our window! Bathroom was very spacious, bed was comfortable. The wine, fruit and toffee's were a lovely gesture. Staff were exceptional. Couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Edinburgh!

Room Tip: Book a deluxe room with a castle view! It's worth it.
Dear Simbi W,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to read you very much enjoyed your castle view room with a view of the Edinburgh Tattoo Fireworks! I will certainly share your kind comments with the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit in the future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I had booked a weekend away, having stayed at the hotel last year and loved it we decided to go back. We had booked a castle view king room, as previously we found the room a bit small, lovely but small. Overall we were very pleased with our room and location. Check in time at the hotel is 3pm, however we arrived at 1pm, got to the hotel and left our luggage, were told they would text us when room was ready. We later on had a drink in peacock alley, when we went to take a seat and find a table the waitress quite curtly asked can I help, she advised they were serving afternoon tea and we could only sit at this one table. Three forty now and our room was still not ready so we were told the hotel would pay for our drinks. We were given our room number and got the keys but the key did not open the door, we found someone to help us who advised we had been told the wrong room number.

Went down to breakfast the next day and waited more than twenty minutes for a menu, ordered breakfast it came and was cold, so had to be returned, cam Vick second time and it was slightly better the first but for from excellent. The head waiter asked if breakfast was ok, I advised no, he explained the hotel was very busy and they were short staffed and this was not their usual standard of service and we would not be charged for breakfast . We had booked dinner in the brasserie the following evening, and have to say it was not much better, so,therefore never bothered to go for breakfast the next morning.

When we checked out the person at reception asked if everything was fine during our stay, I said no not what I would expect from this establishment, he then got the customer services manager to come and see us. I told her our issues, she quite kindly removed our dinner charge from our bill and has said if we decide to go back to e mail her directly to handle our booking. It was a nice gesture but I think it will be a while before I decide to go back.

The hotel is a lovely building but I am sorry felt that they had a severe lack of experienced staff at a very busy time. We had this hotel as one of the best, but our experience has knocked it down a peg or two. We had afternoon tea at the balmoral which was lovely so might try there next time. Also for good measure instead of deducting our dinner charge from our bill he added it on !!!! that also had to be rectified. Lovely hotel but food and beverage a big issue during busy times.

Room Tip: Castle view was excellent and room a good size, can not fault room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AberdeenBenny
Dear AberdeenBenny,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am disappointed to hear we did not live up to your expectations on your second visit. Please accept my sincere apologies once again for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay in our Food and Beverage outlets. Please rest assured the issues you raised were addressed immediately with our Food and Beverage Manager to avoid a similar occurrence in the future.
I sincerely hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the future.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in Edinburgh rather than Glasgow for the recent Commonwealth Games and chose the Waldorf Astoria based on reviews. The location of the hotel was brilliant, close to everything we needed/wanted and within walking distance of the shops and . We upgraded the room and found the amenities to be of the standard one would expect. We chose not to pay the £20pp for breakfast but decided to go next door to The Huxley where it was half the price but did not compromise on quality/taste. We did not use the spa/ pools etc as we were only around for the weekend and had other planned activities, but other guests were overheard in the lovely Peacock Lounge, to be saying that it was a very enjoyable experience for themselves. We expected to find more than 2 teabags and small shower-gels/ shampoo etc than was provided by the hotel, that said, what we were given, were all good. I guess the fact that we are planning to return to the same hotel again proves that we were satisfied and can be used as a recommendation in itself.

Dear Mark H,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am thrilled to hear you were able to enjoy some of the Commonwealth Games whist staying at ‘The Caley’ and found the location of the hotel convenient for visiting attractions in Edinburgh. I certainly value your additional feedback regarding the lack of amenities in the room. I will be pleased to share your comments with our Housekeeping team to ensure these are replaced on a regular basis.
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We arrived at the hotel, for 1 night our first wedding Anniversary, I had booked a King Deluxe with Views, I got the summer rate of £207.00 this I thought was a good rate considering it's 5 star status, The valets were busy but I was quickly directed to their car park which is actually situated behind the hotel through the big Arches, even though we entered the hotel through the car park entrance the hotel is spectacular, the bar area is huge very spacious & very grand, a quick check in & was informed my room was on the first floor, this I thought may be an issue as I requested an upper floor room with views, however what you may not realise is that although we were only on the first floor we were still quite high up due to the vast size of the hotel, we entered the hallway of our room to be greeted by a huge beautiful bathroom directly in front then to my puzzled amusement there was a door to the left & right, my first thought was it may be an adjoining room, like the ones they unlock to make a bigger room haha I was wrong, we had a huge sitting room with sofa's flat screen tv, coffee machine & fully stocked mini bar, walking through the bedroom door we both could not stop smiling it was simply fantastic, the bed was huge & very comfortable, the views of the Castle & city were fantastic. I could waffle on however the main reason I typing this is I have stayed in lots of 5 star hotels across the world from York to new York to new zealand etc & this hotel beats them all by a mile, I have never been to a hotel where every single member of staff I came across was so polite, helpful & very professional, now I know some staff especially at the high end are often over nice, but I could not fault their approach to the customer, perfect. I have yet again waffled on but this hotel in my eyes is the best hotel I have ever stayed in & my wife & I are planning a longer stayed return soon. M. Moss stayed in room 110 friday 01st August 2014. PS if you manage get this far reading then get it booked :-)

Room Tip: Deluxe King double room 110 huge room fantastic views
Dear mossjasp
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your outstanding review, I am extremely pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations throughout your stay, in particular with the complimentary upgrade to one of our one bedroom suites with a view of Edinburgh Castle! I will be delighted to share your excellent comments with the team. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly prior to your future visit at ‘The Caley’, we look forward to welcoming you back!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had an overnight stay at the Waldorf and found it to be a grand hotel in the old tradition. Amenities were all excellent, staff were very helpful but in no way interfering and there is a charm about the building that is relaxed and inviting. It is well located, within walking distance to most of the festival venues. And a short cab ride from the rest. If you have a bit of extra cash, well worth considering.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Patrick N,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am glad to hear you had an excellent stay with us and enjoyed the history and character of the hotel. I will certainly share your kind comments with the team, they are proud of the professional luxury service they provide.