“Disappointment”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #56 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 August 2014

For my 73 birthday I gave myself a present to stay at the Caledonian Hotel for my trip to see the Edinburgh Tattoo. The young blond girl who checked me in had a glancing appreciation of English, and did not understand my request for down pillows. I had to repeat it several times, with her mistaking what I was saying. When I was finally given a room -- of course I had to wait because my overnight flight from New York got me in so early -- I discovered that the Classic Room I'd booked for many, many pounds was just an ordinary hotel room, and had no bathtub, only a shower. I didn't realize I should have made that preference clear at booking. I used the phone in the room to call the front desk to see if there were any classic rooms with a tub. The phone rang and rang and rang and no one ever answered. I called three times. I called a number for the concierge who had sent me an email before I left asking if she could do anything for me. But there was no answer. I emailed her. No answer. I sit waiting to hear if there is a room with a tub ( I need to soak my foot having had recent surgery). Time goes by. The woman who said she would call does not call. A woman comes to my door with extra towels. I said I didn't want extra towels (she also does not speak English), I want down pillows. She doesn't know what that means. After a while another person comes to the door with one feather pillow. At least it's not foam. Communication here is dicey at best. Don't count on good service. I also had to ask for a luggage rack, there being no place in the room to open the suitcase. I thought this was a very high- class hotel, but the service is poor, and the lack of language skills kind of appalling. I'm spending a lot of money on a blow-out because I doubt I will ever get to Scotland again, and am so disappointed with this hotel, which I took to be the Grande Dame of Edinburgh hotels.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank poesy
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear poesy
Thank you for taking the time to post a review during your stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh. It is unfortunate to read you feel your arrival experience did not live up to your expectations. I understand our Director of Operations has contacted you today to ensure you have an enjoyable time for the remainder of your stay.
Regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

A big smile and typical Scottish greeting from Danny the doorman in his splendid kilted outfit was just the start of a warm and relaxing stay in the Waldorf Astoria in Edinburgh. The old "Caledonian", sits at the foot of the castle at one end of Princess Street. From the outside it looks a bit traditional and splendid in years but the inside is as modern as any 5 start hotel I have stayed in around the world. The staff are amazing and if your are lucky enough to get a room with a view of the castle, you may want to stay in the hotel and forego the sightseeing you had planned. I will make a point of making my reservations earlier when I visit Edinburgh from now on, in the hope I can always find a room available at the Waldorf Astoria "The Caledonian" - Edinburgh

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Jim L,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review; I am delighted to hear you received a warm welcome from Danny our doorman on arrival. I will be pleased to share your kind comments with the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I would recommend this place to everyone if you want to be in the heart of things and be pampered by the hotel staff. They go out of their way to make sure you have what you need. The room was above my expectations in every way. Who know they would have an espresso machine in your room to use. WOW!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Joyce S,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to read you very much enjoyed your stay with us, including your comfortable and well appointed bedroom.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Booked a room here for the Tattoo, having seen the impressive building & having recommendations from a friend.
Arrived after the 3pm check in time only to be told our room wasn't ready. The receptionist has our bags taken to storage and assured me they would phone when the room was ready.
Almost two hours later, no phonecall. Went back to the hotel and the room was ready. Disappointing. So up we go.
The room was spotless, have to disagree with some on here who complained about the housekeeping, but very cramped. Not to five star standards in my opinion.
We were promised on check-in that out bags would soon follow. Forty minutes later, still no luggage. Ended up going to get them myself. Again, very poor.
Breakfast was excellent. High quality food.
On check out, we weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay. Some might find this a minor detail, but after the other examples of poor service, I at least expected some common courtesy.
I've been to other five star hotels & this hotel, sadly doesn't get close to the level of those. It was peak time in Edinburgh, but the hotel should be prepared for this.
Next time I'll stay elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Edward M

Dear, Edward M,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of communication between the team throughout your stay. Please rest assured this will be addressed with the relevant departments to ensure communication is improved in the future.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a 2 night stay which included breakfast. Our room was tastefully decorated, had a very comfortable bed and was immaculately clean. The Nespresso coffee machine was a bonus. The bathroom had a large shower and the toiletries provided were lovely.
The room had good blackout curtains, the hotel was very quiet and we slept without any disturbance from other guests. The only downside was the view from our window which was a brick wall about 5 yards away.
On our first morning we had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated for breakfast which wasn't really a problem but I think they must have been very busy and short of staff. When we were shown to our table we were surrounded by 8 tables which nobody had time to clear.
On our second morning things were much better and the service was excellent thankfully! All the tables were cleared, clean and tidy.
The hotel had a beautiful Spa, pool and fitness area though we didn't have time to make use of them.
Every member of staff we encountered was very friendly and extremely helpful.
We booked this break 6 months ago so was disappointed that we were given a room with what must have had one of the worst views.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank WolsyGranny
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear wolsygranny
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to read you very much enjoyed your stay with us in particular your comfortable and well appointed room. We endeavour to provide our guests with an upgrade subject to availability, however during the festival season we experience extremely high business levels and many of our high category rooms with views of Edinburgh Castle are occupied.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed for two nights whilst visiting Edinburgh to take in the sights and attend the Royal Military Tattoo.

Very good location at the West End of Princes St, within easy walking distance to the castle and many other attractions.

The room was quite well appointed with a huge King size bed and good sized bathroom.
However, there was also evidence of less than adequate maintenannce such as peeling paint on the window cills etc and a sink that was very slow to drain away. I also noted that a part used body wash bottle had not been moved at all during room servicing Hmmm.
Staff were very helpful and attentive and food and drinks were to a good standard.

Overall this is a very nice hotel that can be booked with confidence.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear anhonestjoe
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am pleased to read you found your bedroom comfortable and well appointed, however you feel there are areas requiring refurbishment. I certainly value your feedback and will share your comments with our maintenance department to ensure our rooms are in fully working order in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

be sure to ask for a room big enough for two real people, perhaps with a bathroom on the same level. the staff was great, food okay, transport easy, etc. would stay there again if I could get a larger room.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Paul S
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am pleased to hear overall you enjoyed your stay, many of our rooms differ in size and some are smaller than expected for a city centre hotel.