“Good and bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Surrey
“Good and bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

First the good : An excellent Sunday evening dinner in Galvins, followed by an equally excellent breakfast on Monday morning when there was a good choice and extremely efficient & attentive service from the hotel's own staff.
However, the service in Peacock Alley was dire - lethargic staff wandering around as if in a daze. The Caley Bar was little better,unless you were American when TV golf was provided both on the TV and on a drop down screen. We waited a long time for a drink - this bar does not seem to fit well with the rest of the hotel.
Our 5th floor room suffered from the usual drawbacks reported by others , such as very high windows but it was very clean. The internal bathroom was very dark.
A couple of days after leaving we phoned the hotel to see if they had found our missing hairdryer in the room. We left full details , including a phone number, with a helpful gentleman who promised that someone would get back to us - but they never did.

Room Tip: Avoid 5th floor
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Missannajobelle
GRMCaleyWA, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear missannajobelle,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. Whilst I am pleased to hear you had a very enjoyable evening in our Galvin restaurant, I am sorry to read your phone call was not returned regarding your lost property. I would be grateful if you could kindly email me with your details and I will personally ensure this is investigated further. My email address is chris.logan@waldorfastoria.com .
I look forward to hearing from you.
Chris Logan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We travelled to Edinburgh on the Belmond train, Northern Belle. Our weekend package included the Edinburgh Tattoo and a two night stay at the Caledonia.

This hotel is in a fantastic position, and made it easy to walk to all attractions, Including the Tattoo.
Everything is on the doorstep and easily accessible and it's a super place to pop back to during a hectic stay in this wonderful city.

We were provided with everything one would expect from a 5 star hotel. Very large well appointed room and ensuite bathroom. Extremely comfortable bed and although this is a central location, we were not aware of any external noise.

The buffet breakfast was extensive and well served. We did not eat dinner at the hotel and therefore Cannot comment.

The staff are very friendly and efficient and nothing is too much trouble. Our requests were met with friendly efficient response.

We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for its location, amenities and service.

Room Tip: Our room 150 on second floor was easy to get to, two flights of stairs or lift. It was on the right...
1 Thank Jessie L
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Jessie L,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay as part of the Northern Belle group, in particular your comfortable and quiet room.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Lake Mary, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband, parents and I stayed at "The Caley" in celebration of my father's 80th birthday. My father's #1 bucket list was to visit the Tattoo and the Piping Competitions. Because this was such a special event with elderly parents I started communicating with Natalie and Thomas early in the planning stages. They were so patient and responsive EVERY day prior to our arrival and definitely helped ensure that we were completely taken care of upon our arrival (along with Malcolm!) and that every aspect of our stay was beyond perfection. Our rooms were gorgeous (though quite small) with a view that could not be rivaled of the Edinburgh Castle! Because of the Tattoo we were able to see fireworks every night from our room too! We ate in the Pompadour Restaurant our last evening as a special treat and I highly recommend saving for this special treat. One of the best eating (and wine pairing) experiences we have ever had. We all loved the hotel, but as I noted above, special thanks to Natalie, Thomas and Malcolm!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lauri D,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review, I am delighted to read certain individuals went above and beyond to deliver exceptional luxury service , this is certainly what we are proud of as a Waldorf Astoria Hotel. I am pleased you and your parents had a very enjoyable time in Edinburgh and we look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ again in the near future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel is a great location for the fringe festival and tattoo - and it was an oasis of calm and luxury in what was a hectic city with so much going on. We walked to all the attractions and appreciated being in a hotel which was so close yet very quiet
We are Hilton honors members and were upgraded to a junior suite overlooking the castle which was lovely - and had everything you would expect - comfy bed and pillows, luxury bathroom and extra touches such as fruit and Nespresso coffee maker. Infact the room was so lovely I did not visit the pool/spa area which I now regret
Another regret is not eating in the hotel restaurants as the food and coffee we did have in the Royal Mile area was poor and expensive.The hotel restaurants did have offers which were only advertised on the place mat at breakfast - (so need to pay attention) - also the Caley bar was a fringe venue and the show looked great - again only advertised on the place mat at breakfast.
We will be back

Room Tip: We were at a higher level overlooking the castle and the room was quiet
Dear Vitabel,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am glad to read as valued HHonors members you were complimentary upgraded to a junior suite for your stay during the festival. I am pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and hope on your return visit you are able to experience our Guerlain spa and Galvin restaurants.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ again in the near future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed here during the August festival season. The room was very large with a terrifically comfy bed, huge bathroom (with a heated towel rack) and the highest ceilings I have ever seen in a hotel room (maybe 14-15 feet). The hotel also left a cute plastic animal and cookies/juice for my daughter and a nice fruit plate for us as well. All of the staff were professional, gracious and welcoming. The hotel location is very good and it was a relatively quick walk to the Royal Mile and Waverly Station. There are plenty of good restaurants and shopping nearby as well as Starbucks and MacDonalds. We ended up taking the Airlink buses as well and found it easy to get around that way. Parking is very limited and driving in downtown Edinburgh is a bit frenetic and I would not recommend it. This hotel was one of the finest that I have ever stayed in and I cannot wait to return. We will be back.

Room Tip: Many good views.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear junodee
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am very pleased to hear your stay lived up to your expectations and the personal touches in the room ensured your stay was memorable. I am glad you found the hotel conveniently located for visiting attractions and the festival venues.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ again in the near future.
Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights during the Edinburgh festival. We had a double room at the back of the hotel which was very quiet. The room was nicely decorated and the bedding was very clean and crisp. The shower was great - plenty of power. All the usual toiletries you would expect from a Hilton , two complimentary bottles of mineral water and shortbread each day to have with the coffee (espresso machine).
The spa had 2 gyms , a pool , steam room and sauna. I used all but the gyms each day. All areas were very clean and looked new. The changing rooms had hair dryers, plenty of towels, a machine to spin your wet costume and lockers which locked with a code - so no need to take cash with you.
Most of these I would expect from a Hilton / Waldorf Astoria but the reason I gave 5 stars was the staff. Whoever we came across were helpful, friendly and could not do enough for you. We had an early flight so arrived at 10am . We had decided to ask the concierge to look after our bags until our room was ready - which he did. We then spoke to the lady on reception who said our room was ready. She gave us our keys and the concierge found our bags without being asked and brought them to the lift for us so that we could go straight to our room. We past room service , mini bar staff, cleaners, spa staff and waiting staff on our journey to our room. Each person smiled, said 'hello' or 'good morning ' and stood to the side if they were in our way. When we went to find the spa the lady on reception gave us a tour and explained how to use the facilities. Later on after I had used the pool she was giving another guest a tour but stopped to wish me a good day as I left. We both agreed that we felt really at home and comfortable in this hotel.
Thank you to all the staff - you made our stay really enjoyable. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Our room at the back was quiet so would recommend asking for this.
Dear JulieMwiltshire,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am delighted to read your excellent review and to hear the staff members delivered exceptional service throughout your stay to ensure it was a memorable experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ again soon.
Surrey England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I never thought I'd stay here. It's an Edinburgh icon with a price tag to match and a bar (The Caley) that is spoken of in revered tones by everyone who's ever drunk there. But thanks to some inspired rate-searching by my partner, we got a deal well below rack rate, right in the middle of the Festival, and had the time of our lives.

The Reception staff were lovely, texted me when our room was ready and offered iced tea on a surprisingly warm Edinburgh afternoon. Our room was simple, smallish, slightly dark but perfectly adequate at such a knock down deal with a super comfy bed and strong shower. The highlight was dinner in the Galvin Brasserie where we were warmly welcomed even though we hadn't booked, offered seats at the bar, promptly and kindly served with outstanding seafood and perfectly chosen wines by a highly competent lady sommelier. By comparison, breakfast was something of a let down with overstretched waiters and average grub but this is a minor quibble amongst service of a generally exceptional standard.
The only disappointment? The legendary Caley Bar, home of late night anecdotes and well kept whiskies, pumping with entirely inappropriate music, a frosty reception, cables and speakers in the place of leather chairs and geniality. Yes it's a venue during the Festival, but surely not at the expense of such an iconic space? So we stayed retreated to Peacock Alley, the adjacent light and airy bar for late night drinks, morning coffee and afternoon tea and couldn't have been more delighted.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
Dear marymh41,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am pleased to read you very much enjoyed your stay with us and exploring what the festival has to offer! I am delighted your dining experience in our Galvin Brasserie De Luxe was excellent, however I will certainly share your comments with our Food and Beverage Manager to ensure the same standard is followed at breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ again soon.