“FANTASTIC HOTEL, GREAT LOCATION.”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #54 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Recently I stayed with my family at this marvelous hotel. We booked a Double double deluxe room for 2 adults and 2 kids. Our room at the second floor (No 206), very spacious, with a great view of the Edinburgh Castle. Great interior and furniture made our stay more luxurious. We paid £179 for the room, but every penny worth in this hotel stay! We took some room service food, bit of expensive but delicious (£60). Breakfast also great, every staff friendly and helpful. Over all one of the best stay ever!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Prem K,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you and your family had a wonderful experience with, and that your room was to your satisfaction with the fantastic view to the castle!
Moreover, I also appreciate your feedback on the design of the hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the ‘Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Staff helpful but paid extra for room with view which was very noisy with lots of road junctions and traffic. Breakfast serving restaurant very cold with drinks served directly into mugs resulting in contents going cold very quickly,instead of teapots or coffee pots.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank Jacqueline N

Dear Jacqueline ,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. With regards to the noise issue experienced, as a city centre hotel in the middle of the famous Edinburgh festival period, this is unfortunately unavoidable. However, should you wish to return again in the future, please e-mail me directly and I shall ensure a quiet room is allocated for your comfort.
I am also disappointed with your feedback on our breakfast offering, rest assured I shall personally address this with our Food & Beverage Director, and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the ‘Caley’ in the near future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Spent two nights here, on a short break to Edinburgh. Arrived at the hotel at 2.50pm (check in 3pm) and was told that the room was ready, but just needed a final check, which would take approximately 15 minutes. Half an hour later, when I again presented myself at reception, the staff rang to find out what was happening, and told me that the housekeeper had been "waylaid" and that the room still hadn't been checked. Forty-five minutes after checking into the hotel, my husband and I finally gained access to our room.
We decided to treat ourselves to supper in The Pompadour Restaurant, where we were offered pre-dinner drinks. Imagine my disappointment, when my glass of champagne was as flat as a pancake. It was immediately replaced, but really shouldn't have been served in the first place. When we were led to our table, I was told that the remains of my champagne would be brought to the table for me. Unfortunately, it was forgotten, and I had to ask for it, as I didn't want another glass of flat champagne! We had tried to book our table for 6pm, but had been told that they could only fit us in at 5.30pm (which made things rather a rush, as we had waited so long to gain access to our room). When we arrived at the restaurant, ourselves and the Thursday Evening Champagne Club, a group of approximately 16, were the only people in there and so it remained until we had almost finished our meal, when we were joined by another couple. On a more positive note, the food and our waiter in the Restaurant were both excellent, a very enjoyable experience.
The hotel is very stylishly decorated, the rooms are quiet and the beds comfortable. We also ate in both the brasserie, where the food was also good, but just warm. The slow service was acknowledged by the staff without our having to mention it, and the service charge had been removed when we were given the bill.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on Lothian Road, which has magnificent view of the Castle.
2  Thank patsy1212

Dear patsy1212,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Although you have titled your review “Disappointing”, the issues which you have mentioned are certainly minimal and easily fixed on our side. Never-the-less, I would certainly like to thank you for drawing these details to my attention, and I can ensure you that our team shall certainly be focussing on the communication lapses which I feel are integral to a successful stay for or valued guests.

Moreover, I do hope that these minor problems do not deter you from returning to the ‘Caley’ again in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed one night and got tickets for the last night of the tattoo courtesy of the best concierge ever!! The hotel had a refit since our last visit.

Service excellent but 20 minutes for a sausage at breakfast come on guys!!!

Also soundproofing not good could hear the TV next door

1  Thank GordonGold
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Gordongold,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is a pleasure to read your excellent review and I am pleased our concierge team were able to source Edinburgh Tattoo tickets for you on the last night! I will personally share your additional comments with our Food and Beverage Manager who will investigate your comments further.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Just stayed one night at this hotel during the fringe, I got a very good rate for a deluxe room from the Hotels website. When we arrived early our room wasn't ready, although we didn't expect it to be, we checked in anyway and stored our bags and the receptionist told us they would text me when our room was ready, by 430pm we still hadn't received a text but headed back to the hotel anyway turned out our room was ready so please don't rely on getting a text. We were allocated room 406, the room was huge with two double beds and a brilliant view of the castle from the room and the bathroom even though we hadn't paid for one. We ate at the Hotel Brasserie for dinner and I would definitely recommend it, although I seen people with deals from Itson and 5pm.com so worth a look on there if you are going to eat there. The hotel is in a superb location, at the end of Princess St so walking distance to most things. The only negatives about the hotel were, our TV wasn't working I phoned down reception they said they would send an engineer up, over an hour later I phoned back as no one had came and within minutes there was a knock at the door, the window was quite small and in the corner of the room but that can't be helped it's the design of an old building, also it wasn't double glazed so there was quite a lot of street noise at night which you should expect from a busy city. All in all though it's a beautiful hotel and the next time I'm in Edinburgh I'll be staying there again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Eve19_74_13

Dear ev19_74_13,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay with us whilst enjoying the tattoo and festival shows. I am extremely sorry you were not notified once the room was prepared for you. I will certainly share your feedback with our Front Desk team as I understand excellent communication is a vital part of the luxury service we deliver.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

The room was quite cramped, bathroom had nice sink but shower head over bath which was rubbish - would NOT recommend to American friends!
The restaurant had run out of afternoon tea and we waited 25 minutes for a pot of tea to even arrive, the spa was closed all day for training - during the festival!!! Why not train half in the morning and half in the afternoon? Totally unacceptable for a prestige hotel.
Breakfast was delicious and the concierge coped bravely, friends had to wait an extra hour before their room was ready with no compensation and little apology.
Won't be staying here again, even though I had wanted to visit this hotel for many years.

Room Tip: Ask for a bathroom with a proper shower
3  Thank GymrunMum

Dear gymrunmum

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. It is unfortunate to read you were not entirely satisfied with your overall stay and in particular the layout of your bathroom. I appreciate your additional feedback regarding our food and beverage outlets and the disappointing wait for your friend’s bedroom. Please rest assured I will address these issues with the individual managers and departments concerned.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.
Regards,

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Spent 9 days in Edinburgh in the middle of August
I really like this hotel excellent West of Prince's Street Location
Lots of shopping, the Church across the street had an excellent Art Fair for the
Festival.
The staff was very very helpful courteous lots of great hints about things to see and do
concierge was excellent.
We choose the breakfast package Please do not miss that when you go
Excellent will i go again YES

Room Tip: Book early if you would like a good room August is busy Festival Time.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
GRMCaleyWA, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear 2010tgho,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh- The Caledonian. I am extremely pleased to read you very much enjoyed your stay with us and the convenient location of the hotel for festival shows and local attractions. I am delighted to read you were impressed with the knowledge and professionalism of our concierge team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to ‘The Caley’ in the near future.