“Another fabulous stay”

Ranked #14 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom
“Another fabulous stay”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My Husband took me back to my favourite hotel for my birthday treat, again, I couldn't fault it.

The Howard really is a little gem in the heart of Edinburgh. The butler service is second to none and the food is superb. I love the fact that it's not a huge hotel with a crowded dining room and sitting in the drawing room is just so peaceful and elegant.

I have already told my Hubby, I better be returning next year!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Indonesian first
UK
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Had an excellent two night stay - very attentive staff and lovely room. My only comment would be that service was very slow at times - just need more staff at key times. Have stayed before and I wonder if the change of ownership in December is having an impact?

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

My partner and myself stayed at The Howard for two nights and were made to feel very special. The rooms are luxurious and the service is faultless. We have never stayed at a hotel that provides this high level of service. The Butler is attentive to your every need but also not over bearing. We didn't want to go home and are already planning our next visit.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Howard for one night and after some pre-arrival nerves about the Butler service concept we quickly found ourselves to be totally relaxed in the elegant surroundings.
The Butler service was an extremely professional, hassle free, seamless experience which really helped us enjoy all that the Howard has to offer. They parked our car, brought us tea and coffee at a moments notice (there is no tea tray in the rooms) at any time with no additional charge, showed us to our room and showed us where everything was and how everything worked. The whole tipping thing which I am never all that comfy with was easily managed as no tip is expected but is taken discreetly with a minimum of fuss when offered.

Upon arrival we were upgraded to the Trinity (terrace) suite which had a door onto a courtyard connected to the street as well as another door into the hotel, this direct connection with the outside world made the room feel like our own private luxury pied a terre.
The room was huge with many seating options, a large TV and excellent sounding iPod dock.
The room was tastefully decorated with the furniture in keeping with the age of the buildings architecture.
The bed was extremely big and extremely comfortable as you would expect of a 5* hotel.
The bathroom was clean and well equipped with a deep 2 person bath and a powerful multi-point shower.

The food in the hotel was fresh , tasty, well presented and reasonably priced.

The only slight issue we had was the WiFi in the public areas which was unreliable and a bit frustrating but no big deal.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would have no hesitation in recommending the Howard to friends and relatives.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Me and my wife were recently married and decided to come and stay at the Howard for a night shortly after our wedding once all of our family had travelled home. We wanted relaxation and some time alone. We stayed here for a weekend in 2010 for a Valentines treat and had a great experience so it has good memories for us!

From the minute we pulled into the car park we were looked after in every way and we were offered the Cockburn room, a Junior suite, despite having only booked a superior double. The staff were attentive, knowledgable, polite and friendly but never intrusive.

Our room was absolutely stunning with an excellent iPod dock, huge TV, separate dressing room, roll top bath with twin sinks and a separate shower. It was immaculately clean and well presented, with instant and endless hot water for a bath you could swim in...even at 6'4"! Tea and coffee whenever it was needed, fresh loose tea (camomile or peppermint were great during both our stays here) with nice cocktails too! We had eggs benedict at breakfast which was fresh and superbly done.

I cannot praise this hotel highly enough and we have both stayed in some nice hotels, including a number of the Edinburgh 5 star usual suspects- Missoni, Balmoral etc. I would choose the Howard every time. Charm, comfort and a personal touch are the order of the day and although it isn't as contemporary as some of the others, to my mind that only adds to it's appeal.

We have decided that this will be our anniversary destination hotel. This is what value really should mean; great memories, proper service without being pretentious and walking out feeling like you can't wait to come back! Well done The Howard.

• Stayed October 2011
CarolineMcIntosh, Hotel Manager - Zsolt Jakri at The Howard, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Howard - do let us know when you are returning for your anniversary and we shall arrange a complimentary bottle of bubbly for you to help celebrate!
Dundee,Scotland
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I didn't stay here but had the pleasure of experiencing the wonderful afternoon tea. The service was excellent. The food was delicious with ample choice. It was a very comfortable and relaxing treat. All staff were extremely helpful. My only slight complaint is it takes a little while for someone to answer the door.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea at The Howard. If you return (which we hope you do) then please ask us for details of our Afternoon Tea Club with lots of extra benefits and events for you to attend!
Winterthur, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I travelled to Edinburgh with very optimistic expectations regarding the hotel - sounded as a good in shape hotel with special sevices - but unfortunaltely I could not find it; Just the fact that one has to wait for at least 10 minutes at the entrance without anyone taking care and notice and helping at the check-in is very frustrating; that at the later check in and check out the guest is standing while the host is sitting is a bit diversed split of role, but is very significant for the "service". If you finally get service, the staff is friendly.
The rooms are not really state of the art - I had to change the room due to heavy street noise - fine service, I could change - but as such I had two rooms for instance and both without a personal safe; the TVs programm are very poor and the quality of the TV either. It all is more old-fashioned than being up with the time. I am sorry - despite the good location in the city I will probably not come back;

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo