“A mismatch” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“A mismatch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

Unwelcoming reception staff who didn't even acknowledge me as I waited to be checked in. A single glazed window facing the stone covered street with incessant cars driving by. Irritatingly noisy. What did they do? They closed the curtain and that's that. The hotel is full is all the answer I got. If you like the oppressive burgundy red interior and don't mind the noise, go for it.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank takakin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

It was some time ago that we stayed at The Howard on one of our many visits to Edinburgh for my husbands birthday. Although it was some time ago, we have such fond memories that I felt I must write a review.
The staff were exceptional in their care, from check in to check out. There are many nice touches that others have covered that start when you arrive and your car is parked for you. We stayed in a terrace suite, that has it's own entrance from the street. I had ordered a birthday cake and champagne for my husband's birthday, see photo of beautiful presentation. We had a really lovely meal in the restaurant one of the nights, which was quite exceptional. During the meal, we commented to the waiter that it would be lovely to have coffee on the terrace outside our room. Between courses, we saw the waiter passing by outside first carrying a table, then the chairs, then the candles and the coffee! We were so tickled by this, especially when he told us our coffee was waiting on the terrace - see photo. Unfortunately my photo is only of the table after we had cleared it, but it was quite magical. Thank you to all at The Howard for a memorable stay.

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Not just a wonderful review but rather touching as well – many, many thanks for sharing such a fabulous experience. I am thrilled to read how one of our Butlers was able to manufacture such a memorable occasion and I am really grateful to learn that these precious memories will be with you always – until next time…
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

If we visit Edinburgh in future this is the only hotel my wife and I will stay in. Our recent visit was perfect in every respect from the time we arrived to the time we checked out. The staff were superb, the room spacious and extremely comfortable and the food exceptional. In fact breakfast for £5 per person was the best value for money we have ever had. Also book yourself in for dinner each evening as the attention to detail and the quality of the food are excellent. The Howard provides affordable luxury in a central Edinburgh location.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Another super review and once again it is fantastic to read about one of our guests leaving The Howard with such a positive impression. I must just clarify, however, the special breakfast rate of £5.00 per person is only available when you book on line on our own website and order this in advance.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

I selected this hotel based on the reviews and definitely made the right choice. The staff was more than helpful from the moment we walked in the door, carrying our luggage to our room, offering us refreshments, and seeing if we needed anything as we settled in.
The hotel is a older hotel which has lots of character. The rooms are large, beautifully decorated, and very comfortable. The bathrooms are modern and also large. It was very relaxing soaking in a tub full of bubbles one evening.
The breakfast was wonderful. The tea was my favorite part of breakfast, it tasted so good I could drink more than pot if I did not have leave the hotel.
The staff catered to every one of our needs from switching the water in our room to water with no bubbles, showing us their favorite places to shop for tea, and sending up glasses so we could our own whiskey tasting in the room. They made us feel welcome and nothing was a problem or a inconvience to them.
We enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Glad to hear we can expect this guest back again on their next trip to Edinburgh and my thanks to them for sharing such kind words with potential visitors. Although I am thrilled to read that they are a big fan of our tea, I am sorry to say that it can only be sourced at The Howard as it is an exclusive blend made especially for us - however, if they contact me directly I would be more than happy to send some on to keep them going until they can join us again..
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

From the time we checked in, everything about the hotel was wonderful. As soon as we arrived, the butlers did everything from parking the car, taking our luggage to the room, giving us a "tour" of the hotel, and giving us directions to the local festival. Breakfast was good and the staff was very attentive. They made sure that your time at the hotel and in the city was worry free and enjoyable. We will definitely stay here again the next time we visit this beautiful city.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
And a wonderful review - many, many thanks!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Wow! My only regret is that I only stayed here one night!

About Me: Fortune Global 500 corporate executive that travels extensively both for personal and professional reasons. Originally from Chicago but now living in London. Have worked or lived in 42 countries in Europe, North and South America, Africa and Asia Pacific.

This hotel is truly amazing with service. From the second you arrive through your departure, they take care if every detail. The butlers are fantastic and do not stand around waiting for tips. They seem genuinely interested in providing you a great experience. Helping with restaurant bookings, luggage, breakfast, even mailing postcards for which we had no stamps.

When we arrived, our room was not available so they helped us with luggage, then led us to breakfast, which was quite nice. When we later returned to the hotel, our bags were in our rooms but they wanted us to relax and settle in first. So they led us to the living room area and brought us tea, coffee, and biscuits. Fantastic.

The rooms are gorgeous, spacious, and classy. Beds are comfortable and the bathrooms well appointed. Best of all, the hotel is small and boutique so each room is unique. I felt like I was staying in one of the rooms at the Holyroodhouse Palace!

Location was superb as we were able to easily walk to shopping, tourist attractions, and restaurants from the restaurant but also able to quickly get a taxi if needed.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel for anyone staying in Edinburgh. Value for money, service, food, and accommodations are all well above average and thus this place is now amongst the top of my list of hotels of the world.

Room Tip: I stayed in Cockburn with my partner while my mom stayed down the hall in Fettes. both were quite ni...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank alswharton
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Having stayed at this little gem of a hotel, for 2 nights, I am at a loss to understand how anyone could find fault with it, and reading the reviews I think it speaks for itself, the place itself is pure elegance the staff are an absolute delight, impeccable manners, caring, and helpful without being intrusive. The breakfast is to die for, and yes it is a small hotel full of character from a bygone age that has been brought into the present day beautifully, with lovely curtains bedding, and all the interior was superb, plus it has a car park ! give me this hotel anytime instead of the souless larger ones. Well done all at the Howard well deserved 5 star in my opinion you deserve a 6. P.S. I am a hotelier also so know a bit about the trade.

Room Tip: south side maybe but you are in the centre of a large city