“Beyond my expectations!”

Ranked #12 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Chicago, Illinois
“Beyond my expectations!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. The service was top notch in every area. I was very impressed with the staff and how they anticipated my needs and expediently fulfilled them. After a day of sightseeing we came back to the hotel exhausted and sat in the lobby to rest awhile before going to our rooms. We were served coffee, tea and shortbread that replenished our energy immediately. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
A superb and very warm review for The Howard - much appreciated.
Leon Kiteley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Having high expectations of Afternoon Tea at the Howard Hotel I felt let down. Although the room was busy it lacked any atmosphere. The cakes and sandwich choice were enjoyable, however, quite ordinary. The biggest let down was the tea. I had selected The Howard's Afternoon Blend, however, the portion of tea to the pot was extremely meagre. Whilst I am not keen on strong a strong brew, the tea struggled to come out of the pot; coloured water and no taste. The second pot was slightly better. The Georgian building is beautiful however the interior decor needs to be maintained, in particular the chair I was sitting on, as the arm was broken. A disappointing experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elaine S
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
I am sorry to hear that this guest did not find our Afternoon Tea offering quite up to scratch but I must point out that the Howard blend is a delicate tea. However, if you are not satisfied with any aspect of our service - let us know there and then, and we WILL put it right. Although we do rely on all guest feedback, positive and negative, it is far more useful to alert us to a problem at the time so that we may address it directly, rather than at a later date when all we can do is apologize!

Leon Kitleley
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

A fabulously quiet part of town - a lovely old house in a great street - though I oddly strugled to loacte it on foot! A butler showed me to my room and I was told that there was no tea provided in the room, all I had to do was call and a butler would bring me one! I decided to do this (mainly for fun!) and a peppermint tea arrived with a very nice piece of shortbread (Scottish I assumed!) Tea was very nice but I found the butler thing slightly odd. The room was very small and bathroom smaller - all very old worldly style, comfortable, I got a peaceful nights sleep and breakfast was very tasty, but not my cup of tea - butler or no butler bringing it to me!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank rebecca b
A fair review but not one that really comments on the standard of service offered by The Howard - more the style of service. We are a hotel that prides itself on its team of Butlers and if this is not for you, our sister propery, Channing's, may be ideal.
Leon Kitleley
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Having sought out a place for afternoon tea for a special occasion I was delighted to have stumbled across the Howard. It was such a magnificent location and one that my friends who had grown up in Edinburgh where not aware of! The choice of teas, the delicious pastries and cakes and the discreet "refreshing" of tea pots by the butler was a real treat.
I enjoyed my first visit so much that I returned to celebrate a birthday with my mother who was visiting from Australia. We opted for the champagne afternoon tea. Despite there being only two of us having afternoon tea that day we were seated in the more comfortably sized drawing room with as much attention as when dining previously in a larger group. Once again the experience was so enjoyable that I joined their afternoon tea club
My husband and I enjoyed afternoon tea twice at the Howard in our last days of living in Edinburgh.
With our 10th wedding anniversary approaching we are considering heading back to the Howard to stay. For us the Howard is somewhere we associate with incredible service, delightful food and a wonderfully personal and magical experience.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank shmeidy
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Not only is it wonderful to read such charming reviews, but it is also refreshing to read a an in-depth review of our Afternoon Tea offering. I am delighted this reviewer was so enchanted by Afternoon Tea at The Howard and I look forward to welcoming her again on her forthcoming 10th Anniversary. Many congratulations, by the way, from all the team!!
Leon Kiteley
Glasgow
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Gorgeous room with extremely accommodating staff. We arrived early expecting to just leave our bags however were informed our room was ready and taken there straight away. The idea of not having kettles in the room as the butler brings coffee and tea when needed, felt very luxurious. We asked them to chill our champagne (which we had brought to the hotel) - when we requested it, it came back not only chilled but with an ice bucket, glasses, crisps and olives...usually you get a glare for daring to ask for a glass when bringing your own champagne into various hotels. The breakfast was fantastic. Would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for luxury and helpful staff.
We also had our nearly 3 year old with us, who was also well looked after - we stayed in the Cockburn room which was very spacious and perfect if traveling with a child.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GlasgowScotland24
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in a suite. A completely private atmosphere with very personal service. We could receive guests in the drawing room with a glass of champagne, have a private room for dinner. The rooms thank god not "re done" modern style, bath rooms was new, very elegant, Penhaligon products (Blenheim). All like a Victorian private home. Butler service included, pressing, shoe shine, name it...Breakfast outstanding: salmon with poached eggs, haggis or black pudding. We did not bother to look elsewhere in Edingburgh, two night dining, great food, with great detail..champagne lunch with sandwiches in the garden. Must say we had extremely good weather which is rare...no AC`s in the rooms though... However I can highly recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Erwin D
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We arrived at 5:30 PM and were told by reception to have a seat in the parlor while we waited for "our butler". We cooled our jets there for about 15 minutes wondering what was going on and why we were not being shown to our room which had been reserved from 3 PM on. Finally, a "butler" showed up and led us to our room. A dowdy looking hotel from a "dusty era". The space looked old and dark although it was well kept up. Not my taste at all.
The room was very spacious, a "superior" room, but also very odd. The bathroom was huge, probably 100sq. feet or 9 square metres. BUT, in this "football field" of a bathroom, a PATHETIC little shower, perhaps 7 sq. feet or 0.6 sq. metres. I am a very thin person and found it almost impossible to maneuver in such a small space. A large man wouldn't even be able to fit in the shower stall, in my opinion. And the shower got worse. It was so poorly drained that even after a short shower, I was left standing in 2 inches (5 cms) of soapy water.
The next day, we left the hotel at 9 AM, placing the "Please Make Up Room" sign on the outside of the door. We arrived back about 5.5 hours later at 2:30 PM, tired from our touring and planning a nap. The room was as we left it, still with the sign on the door asking for the room to be made up. We called and complained, asking for the room to be made up. About 30 minutes later, someone finally arrived to service the room. It was now 3:15 PM.
Breakfast is very good; no complaints. But, I would never consider staying here again. Oh, forgot to mention the price tag; 245 Pounds or about US$400 per night. Terribly overpriced and a big disappointment.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple