“Wow! Great Service, nice location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Howard

The Howard
Ranked #11 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Salt Lake City
“Wow! Great Service, nice location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

I stayed for just one night...but it was NICE. For 100 pounds, I got a single room including a full cooked breakfast. I arrived really early, but they were able to get me in my room within 20 minutes (they provided tea and brownies while I waited). More attention than I'm used to getting at hotels. The porter took my bags and the butler showed me the room and its features. My room was elegant and the bathroom was really wonderful (giant dinner-plate size shower head and really good toiletries along with slippers and a robe).

The room faced the front street and it was noisy (the street is cobble stone, so that made car noise even worse, but it did quiet down by bedtime).

I checked out and left my luggage while I explored. When I returned, my friends let me know they were arriving late, so the hotel provided me with another pot of tea and cookies while I waited in the "drawing room" for them to arrive.

I recommend staying here (when I got in the taxi at the train station, the driver responded "aren't you posh?" when I gave him the name of the hotel. It was nice to be pampered just a bit after a budget stay in London the week previous.

• Liked — Really attentive service
  • Disliked — No deadbolt on the door. Cleaning staff out in hall started early and were noisy.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank slc_singer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2008

I stayed in the Abercrombie suite with my wife for one night because we were attending a concert in the city.This is a very good,friendly hotel.Idon't agree with a previous reviewer's opinion that the hotel is pretentious. The hotel is smart and well appointed. The staff are well presented,friendly and informative.Everything we asked for in terms of service was delivered.The room was also smart and well-appointed although I have to say the bed was short (and I am of medium height). Yes,the hotel is expensive, but I didn't pass any other accommodation at which I would have preferred to stay. Unfortunately,I wasn't impressed with the city.It's a little too grey and reserved for my liking.If I had come to visit the city itself rather than to attend a concert I would have been disappointed.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the bed was too short
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Kendal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

Genuinely disappointing experience. for the same price you could have a master suite in a 4 star and that hotel wouldn't be too pretentious.

Stayed May 2008
6 Thank Dontstart
Newcastle Upon Tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

We have just returned from a night at The Howard which I planned to celebrate my husbands birthday. This hotel, although slightly off the beaten track is in a lovely street in Edinburgh, about 10 minutes walk from Princes Street. On arrival, we were offered a glass of champagne, as they were aware it was my husbands birthday, this was a lovely touch. We were upgraded to a Garden Terrace Suite which was absolutaly amazing - so stylish and spacious. The bed was so comfortable with lovely linen. The bath and shower were to die for ! We had dinner at The Witchery which was expensive, but a great experience and one not to miss - but you must book in advance. Breakfast in The Howard was really enjoyable, with a vast array of options.
All in all I cannot praise this fantastic hotel enough, it is 5 Star Luxury at its best.

• Liked — The fantastic room
  • Disliked — nothing at all
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2008

We stayed at the Howard for two nights, and I wish it could have been longer. The room was wonderful - beautiful furnishings, comfortable sitting area, amazing bathroom. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Dinner at the restaurant was wonderful. Highly recommended, can't wait to go back some day.

Stayed June 2008
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2008

Pure Luxury and indulgence. We booked to stay at the Howard for our wedding anniversary 29/5/08 and we stayed on their romantic package.

The discrete in room check in and the champagne on arrival was a lovely touch. The butler Fernando was excellent, he unpacked our bags and even found out some historical information we had tried in vain to find out ourselves, nothing was too much trouble. The restaurant the Atholl was also rather good with my husband preferring his meal at the Atholl to our meal at the Witchery on the previous evening.

The Witchery restaurant in Edinburgh is well worth a visit and the seafood platter worthy of mention here.

The best thing about the Howard, was the discrete intimate feel like a home away from home , and the sumptuous rooms.

If anything could be improved I would say that a nice improvement would be to offer guests complimentary tea, coffee and water in the room.

A hotel worthy of a visit and we will be going back

Mrs Friend

We stayed in the Abercromby and it was everything and more than the hotels website photos can do justice.

• Liked — Butler Service in the Suites
  • Disliked — Lift was a bit small but its an old property and the stairs are charming
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kidsintow_placestogo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

Stayed for 2 nights at the end of a 10 day trip all over Scotland. What a treat--the service is spectacular and the hotel itself is beautiful and charming.

When we checked in, we were given a room with a queen-sized bed, but they immediately were able to switch us to a king room, even though technically it was our mistake in the reservation. The room itself was very nice and the bathroom was huge.

We had afternoon tea, which was wonderful. And the hotel had e-mailed me weeks before our trip about special requests, and made dinner reservations for us, which they still had note of on our arrival.

Highly recommend.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — No complaints at all
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends