“Great stay during Hogmanay”
Review of The Howard

The Howard
Ranked #13 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I had a very enjoyable stay at the Howard. The staff were friendly, attentive and very helpful. Sure, some of the furnishings are a little tired in places, but every detail has been thought of and we certainly had no complaints. In addition, the Howard also hosted my best friend's wedding breakfast and the food was delicious!

2  Thank Emily S
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

A wonderful review for The Howard and I am grateful to this guest for sharing their positive festive experience so quickly with future travellers. A very Happy New Year to this, and every, Guest!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was our third visit to the Howard, the last being 3 years ago. There was dust on some of the bedroom furniture and furnishings and the décor is looking tired and shabby - doors, window frames etc. need to be repainted; net curtains need to be cleaned. Service was excellent, staff generally friendly and helpful. There were no bath robes available on arrival. My wife was supplied with one later on our arrival date but I had to wait 2 days for one. We had to ask for toiletries every day of our 4 day stay. Taking into account the comments about pending refurbishment from the manager, we would certainly consider a return visit.

2  Thank Fred W

Many thanks for reviewing The Howard and I am sorry to read that this experience did not live up to previous visits, but I am glad to learn that you will consider rejoining us once we have made some much needed progress with out upgrade works!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Location - superb. Three large terrace houses knocked into one hotel. Very tired furniture and fittings. Many broken floor tiles in bathroom for example. Room cold and noisy. Hotel boasts a "Butler Service" which is nothing more than room service - shoes put out one night - returned not cleaned, boots put out one night not cleaned- but they were on the second night. Stayed three nights - toiletries not replaced - had to request - water etc. No tea/coffee making facilities but complimentary tea/coffee brought up to room - tea poor and coffee vile! One morning phone was off hook at reception for 90 minutes. Food OK but overpriced - tiny dining room. Room service food dreadful apart from breakfast which was good. Main criticism is that staff were very miserable and unfriendly with one exception.. was looking forward to a warm Scottish welcome and service but most staff appeared Eastern European. Ludicrously expensive for what you get - they claim to be a superior five star hotel but I have stayed in far nicer 3 start hotels with far better service. Really poor.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.....
8  Thank CartwrightKenya

My apologies to this guest for having left The Howard with anything but the most positive of impressions but I wil investigate all the points rasied immediately!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Positives- great location, quiet, where I personally needed to be based, small, v nice helpful staff, clean rooms and bathroom, nice penhaliogin toiletries.
Negatives- tired tired tired, water damaged ceiling in bathroom, black sealant in shower. A general feeling of neglect and make do and mend. The furniture was oddly mismatched and the soft furnishings were unappealingly old fashioned. My bedside table had a worn and damaged surface with chipped varnish and the place just felt stuffy and terribly overpriced. I would have left if I hadn't been so short of time but honestly couldn't wait to leave. My coffee in the morning was weak and quite horrid (there was no other type to be had as I asked at breakfast). My breakfast came and I'd finished it by the time my toast came and they really weren't that busy.
I'm terribly sorry but I would suggest you avoid this hotel and book the Missoni instead . I didn't feel rested, pampered, refreshed or happy when I checked out. I did tell the (very nice staff) as they asked. Not their fault but someone needs to spend some money refurbishing and redecorating the rooms. More like a two or three star with pretentions to be more. A port example of a British hotel in a very beautiful capital city.

Room Tip: I saw three rooms and they were all stuffy and unappealing
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank HONORIA1
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Please see the response below regarding our forthcoming refurbishment which will address the issues mentioned in this post.
My thanks to this guest for sharing their thoughts and I hope to welcome them again when the work is done..

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We were a little disappointed by the the place, it felt tired and a bit worn out. We felt it needed someone to really care about it, to touch up the chipped paintwork, polish out the scratches and dints on the furniture, put handles on the drawers and clean the windows. It is a lovely building and the room we had was a good size, but it was fusty. Everything seemed clean and fresh, but it was he rooms decor that let it down.
The breakfast was average, with long waiting time for items, so staffing may have been an issue.
There are some nice touches, such as tea trays brought to the room both before breakfast and whenever else. The bathing products are decent too.
It is in a quiet part of town, so we got a nights sleep. The butlers were friendly, efficient welcoming. Their uniforms were worn out and a bit tatty. We were expecting something a bit more upmarket.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank happytripster

I quite agree that the rooms are need of a bit of TLC which is why I am pleased to announce we are to start a major refurbishment plan of our bedrooms in the New Year, which will address the points raised in this review. I will keep our Facebook Page updated with our progress and will add pictures as and when we get them - watch this space.......

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Our second time at the Howard although did not match our first which was perfect.

The breakfast this time was average. Eggs Benedict - the poached eggs were over cooked (could have played squash with them) as were the eggs with the eggs florentine (also there was no muffin served with the florentine). Promptly sent back, second time slightly better but still over cooked but did not have energy to send back a second time.

Starting to look a bit tiered in certain parts of the hotel for example bottom of curtains in room worn, towel rail in bathroom not attached to floor, worn carpet in downstairs hall.

Still a great hotel, great location and service was excellent but for £175 a night would expect a more 5 star feel.

3  Thank Dibeach125

A mostly positive review for The Howard but I was most disappointed to learn that breakfast was not right the first time. No excuses - we simply got it wrong - although I am glad to learn we were able to turn things round quickly. My apologies again to this guest.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

The Howard is a wonderful hotel about 10-15 minutes walk from city center. Its location was great for city access but it was quieter at night being a bit outside of the downtown core on a residential side street . Upon arrival a staff member took my keys and parked our ride in the free lot. . . excellent! We didn't need the car at all during our 4 day/3 night stay. The staff were all so helpful and professional. The butler service was awesome. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SiestaMike
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Another superb review for The Howard - many thanks to this reviewer for taking the time to share their thoughts with the world. Hope to weclcome them again soon.