“1st class tranquil. retreat”
Review of The Howard

The Howard
Ranked #13 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This hotel has every thing that you need. for a tranquil Stay. Nothing is a problem for the staff. From parking your car to unpacking your bag (optional), polishing your shoes at night to free papers in the morning. The staff are there 24/7. Tea and coffee on tap just dial 0 five minutes. Later it arrived. The rooms are nipping Clean and the bathroom. In our room wasalso to a very High standard.having hot deep bath was so relaxing. Bath robes and slippers are supplied. They even turn down your bed on an evening. The breakfast also was a joy to eat you wont go hungry. (try the eggs benadict to die for). All in all first class stay, food and room. Thanks to all the first class staff for a very enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Try the dundas room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephen h
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Mr Stephen,

Thank you for the taking the time to write a favourable review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable experience, and that we had met your expectations.
Please be sure that we will share your positive review with the rest of our Team.
Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to our beautiful city.

Kind regards,
Leon Kiteley

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed at The Howard a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised with this intimate gem of a hotel. The furnishings were grand and elegant, my room was luxurious and the bathroom very spacious. The staff were extremely professional, on several occasions going above and beyond normal service to cater to our needs. Location is great too - it’s a 10min walk to many shops, bars and restaurants. Special mention - I highly recommend the Afternoon Tea – wide selection of sandwiches, scones, and delicious pastries! This was served in the elegant and grand drawing room in front of a large fireplace – divine! I will be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The Howard was booked for me by my son-in-law. and proved very good value for a late Booking, including breakfast
I only stayed one night.
The room was huge with a comfortable sitting area and then a large bed area. It had a very stylish, large, bathroom.
10 minutes walk to Princes Street, uphill, but easily managed.
Staff were friendly and extremely efficient.
Breakfast was good

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Very comfortable hotel in a quiet street in the "New Town" part of Edinburgh (circa 1800s) not far from George Street and Princes Street. A plush, spacious bedroom, discrete service and attentive pleasant staff. No beverage tray in the room, but tea/ coffee can be delivered to the room or provided in the lounge on request at any time. Good choice of breakfast items (including some very tasty smoked salmon and scrambled eggs). Definitely worth a visit if passing through Edinburgh

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

We were really excited about staying at The Howard. It's a beautiful and charming hotel with some lovely staff. Our room was very pretty and had all the amenities we could ask for. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. I would have rated it five stars had I not gotten bitten by bed bugs all over my body. I was itching all night long and couldn't sleep! I informed the front desk politely they have a problem in our room and he apologized and brushed me off. I would have thought a hotel such as this would have done more. Since leaving the hotel I've had to throw away many of my items and pay to get them cleaned to make sure I didn't bring them with me to my home. I was itching for days and days and now have marks all over my body a month later. Since leaving I have emailed the hotel and instead of taking responsibility they blamed ME for it and said there is no way I got the bites at their hotel. I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it to another. What a shame.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jennifer B
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Howard, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Although we are grateful that the guest has said in the review that they enjoyed their stay we are very disappointed to hear that they believe they were bitten by bed bugs while staying here at The Howard.

As you would expect we at the Howard take this very serious and asked for advice from our pest control company to inspect the bed and evaluate the guest’s accusations.

They have found that there were no bed bugs on the bed and no action was required. They also advised us that bed bug bites actually appear on the body up to 48 hours after the human body has been bitten, so we suspect that it was where the guest stayed the night previous.

We have contacted the guest with the report and findings from the pest control company and I have emailed them a copy of the full report.

I hope that this factual response direct to the guest will ease their worries and prompt them to revaluate their review.

Andrew Smith
Head butler

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

We spent our second stay at The Howard earlier this week. Huge room and big comfy bed, but felt a bit dated, however it was lovely and clean. No beverage tray in room, but a quick call to reception gets you a beautiful freshly brewed coffee brought straight to your room. Staff were very nice. Lovely breakfast also. A quality place to stay in the Capital with parking and an easy walk to the city centre.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I hesitate to say what I really think because I want to be sure I can get in next time I go to Edinburgh, and if people really knew how great this place was, they would be swamped.

The Howard exceeded expectations in every way. Enormous, well-appointed room (suite). Lovely, attentive service. Charming staff. Fabulous drawing room in which to relax, have tea or something stronger, and enjoy the ambiance. Walkable to everything. We we so sad to leave.

We were there at the end of November, in time for the Christmas markets, which were spectacular. I would love to make it an annual trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple